Boy do I feel dumb

We went to tractor supply. I had my 20 lb cylinders filled. Put them in the car and some lady asked about our FJ. We spoke a few minutes then went out seperate ways.

I left without paying for my propane!

I had to go back,tail between my legs and explain why I left without paying.

At least they didn't call the cops on me.

Hey Chris, sure.. ok, you feel "dumb".. but.. what that really shows is your CHARACTER! That you have one to be proud of! Yes it's karma alright, along the road of life, you get tested.. It's in those moments when no one is looking is when your character shines through! Good job! :giggle:

That happened to me at the grocery store, I think it was within the last month.. had stuff on the bottom of the cart, never even scanned it! Walked back in, scanned it, walked back out.. didn't tell anyone, but you know security saw it!

A few years back Costco missed the toilet paper on the bottom of the shopping cart. They caught it at the exit, but since the store was packed the gal smiled and said, "Our mistake; just go..."
I was kinda torn (remember I am a cheapskate) but told her, "If I go I will never get this outta my head and never sleep soundly..."
She walked me back to the checker and let me pay right away.

Now I always remind them to check the bottom. Kinda hard to miss 1 bazillion rolls ot TP but ya never know...
I love Costco.

Long time ago when I worked at Publix supermarket some dirtbags would accidentally forget beer on bottom of shopping cart and try to walk out with 3 -12 packs of beer.

Manager would always stop them and say police will be called if you don’t pay for the beer.

Our gas stations have been prepay for as long as I have been driving and I'm 52 now. As for propane there is no telling exactly how much you need. One of mine was not quite empty yet.
My hardware store empies them, pumps them down(?), then refills them to 14lbs. So not to capacity. The other place just does a tank swap.

A few years back Costco missed the toilet paper on the bottom of the shopping cart. They caught it at the exit, but since the store was packed the gal smiled and said, "Our mistake; just go..."
I was kinda torn (remember I am a cheapskate) but told her, "If I go I will never get this outta my head and never sleep soundly..."
She walked me back to the checker and let me pay right away.

Now I always remind them to check the bottom. Kinda hard to miss 1 bazillion rolls ot TP but ya never know...
I love Costco.
Good thing it wasn't during the early pandemic. You would be facing 5 to 10.

One of my cousins was the manager at a gas station back in the '70's. One day I went in and he filled up my tank, we started talking and when we finished our conversation I got in the car and drove off without paying. As I remember he called me later that afternoon and reminded me I forgot to pay for my gas. Everybody forgets sometimes. The main thing is you went back and took care of it as you should.

We went to tractor supply. I had my 20 lb cylinders filled. Put them in the car and some lady asked about our FJ. We spoke a few minutes then went out seperate ways.

I left without paying for my propane!

I had to go back,tail between my legs and explain why I left without paying.

At least they didn't call the cops on me.
Bravo for doing the right thing!

Our gas stations have been prepay for as long as I have been driving and I'm 52 now. As for propane there is no telling exactly how much you need. One of mine was not quite empty yet.

I don't remember any gas stations being prepay until 2008-ish or so when gas really shot up in price and people started stealing gas a lot.

Otherwise filling up, then going in to pay was the norm. That's when I stopped paying cash for gas. No need to walk in the store twice.

Wife and kids were out of town so I went to grab dinner at a restaurant and sat at the bar. Had a couple beers and dinner and realized I didn’t have my wallet on me. Venmo’d my bill plus tip to the bartender from my phone. Who knows if that made it into the register or not.

I'm surprised so many are praising Chris for doing the right thing. Seems like that should be a given. Depending on the distance, I might call them up to give my CC instead of driving back.

My wife and I passed the prune test at the grocery store last week. LOL. An elderly guy in a scooter asked us where to find the dried prunes. We were in the right aisle and right in front of them. They keep the prunes on the top shelf so I told him to stay in his scooter I'd get the prunes for him. Showed him pitted and with pits and explained which was which. He chose the pitted ones. Guess we passed the test because he pulled out cards inviting my wife and me to his church.

Another tale from before the days of pre-pay-gas only: I needed to stop for gas and while pulling in, I thought about what else I needed while I was in the store paying for my gas. Drinks, snacks, etc. But once the tank was full, I hopped in and drove off; my mind apparently forgetting I didn't already pre-pay at the pump with my card. I got all the way out into traffic before I remembered I hadn't paid, so I did a quick U-turn and went into the store just as they realized they'd been taken. Nope, that was just me!

Nowadays there are probably a dozen cameras filming from all angles, so it's probably hard to get away scot-free without paying.

Back