Bought used VW Jetta with 2.5 - should I dump the oil

So the oil change was interesting, at least getting the oil filter housing off was... The old (stamped steel) oil filter cap wrench I tried to use to get the severely over-tightened cap off broke on the first try! I had to order the new filter wrench (one pictured) online in order to get it off. I think the oil filter that came off looks reasonably okay. It was made in Poland, never saw that brand before. Everything now done and the maintenance schedule is now set... Thanks for all the tips

Attachments

• 20201004_153255.jpg
    20201004_153255.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201006_150041.jpg
    20201006_150041.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201006_150054.jpg
    20201006_150054.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201006_150109.jpg
    20201006_150109.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20201006_150115.jpg
    20201006_150115.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 66
So the oil change was interesting, at least getting the oil filter housing off was... The old (stamped steel) oil filter cap wrench I tried to use to get the severely over-tightened cap off broke on the first try! I had to order the new filter wrench (one pictured) online in order to get it off. I think the oil filter that came off looks reasonably okay. It was made in Poland, never saw that brand before. Everything now done and the maintenance schedule is now set... Thanks for all the tips
Hengst oil filters are top drawer for VeeDub's. Whoever did the last oil service did not cut corners on the filter.

I see a power steering fluid cap in your photo - didn't realize VW moved back away from EPS with the 6th gen. The 5th gen EPS was true electric (not just an electric hydraulic pump like some others makes) with an electric motor driving all the steering bits. It was quite advanced at the time with assist for crosswinds and would suggest steering inputs via tugs at the wheel if you ended up in a skid, never experienced either so can't comment on how they worked out but they were apparently there.

I see a power steering fluid cap in your photo - didn't realize VW moved back away from EPS with the 6th gen. The 5th gen EPS was true electric (not just an electric hydraulic pump like some others makes) with an electric motor driving all the steering bits. It was quite advanced at the time with assist for crosswinds and would suggest steering inputs via tugs at the wheel if you ended up in a skid, never experienced either so can't comment on how they worked out but they were apparently there.
Good eye! As far as I can tell, this has a more traditional PS system. Haven’t researched it though. I can tell that the steering is very differe from the electric steering on our Fords. My son noticed right away. Feels more substantial and provides better feedback.

Yeah, likelihood of them using the correct oil is about zero - I'd change it to start fresh with a 502 00 oil of your choice.

Thanks all. What OCIs are you running in your VW 2.5 engines? Given the low annual mileage I am expecting my son to drive, I’m thinking just going annually.

Thanks all. What OCIs are you running in your VW 2.5 engines? Given the low annual mileage I am expecting my son to drive, I’m thinking just going annually.
I ran 10K in mine. Once a year or 10K is fine. This car will run fine on pretty much any oil. You could run a 5W30 SN and it would be fine (and if it's being short-tripped, that's honestly what I'd run). I'd worry more about doing the trans fluid assuming it's the Aisin box (even if it's 5 spd MT I'd still swap it).

It's a really solid engine. Not sure of the mileage, but note that the PCV is actually part of the valve cover. You'll want to replace it at 100K or so. And personally, I would change out the ignition coils when you do the plugs. Sounds crazy, but this car eats them (like a lot of other VW's). I always carried a couple of spares.

I ran 10K in mine. Once a year or 10K is fine. This car will run fine on pretty much any oil. You could run a 5W30 SN and it would be fine (and if it's being short-tripped, that's honestly what I'd run). I'd worry more about doing the trans fluid assuming it's the Aisin box (even if it's 5 spd MT I'd still swap it).

It's a really solid engine. Not sure of the mileage, but note that the PCV is actually part of the valve cover. You'll want to replace it at 100K or so. And personally, I would change out the ignition coils when you do the plugs. Sounds crazy, but this car eats them (like a lot of other VW's). I always carried a couple of spares.
This car has 40,000 miles on it. For the tranny, are you suggesting drain and refill?

This car has 40,000 miles on it. For the tranny, are you suggesting drain and refill?

Yes, absolutely. The transmission is reliable, but I'd worry more about that than oil spec and OCI. And the OEM recommendation for ATF drain and fill is 50K. It's a straightforward process, though you'll need a fill tool. You should be able to get a kit online from one of the Euro parts places with fluid/filter/fill tool.

The 2.5 is like the old 2.0 engine, not a race car like the R, but way more reliable. Other than one ignition coil, a coolant temp sensor, and fluid changes I've had zero problems with my 2.0 or the 2.5 in my brother's Jetta. We run 5w40 (whatever is on sale) in the summer and 0w40 in the winter.

Back