Bought the stock and making nice $ but I hate the business sector or company itself. Why?

Ground rules are you must have bought the individual stock, not as part of a fund.

Let’s not get into rants about companies or business sectors we take issue with and would never invest in.

Here to play you actually bought the stock, took the money/profit but with great distaste. Why did you do that?

This is truly just for fun/information and maybe some future investment possibilities we can research. I mostly buy stock funds, not individual stocks.

Ground rules are you must have bought the individual stock, not as part of a fund.

Let’s not get into rants about companies or business sectors we take issue with and would never invest in.

Here to play you actually bought the stock, took the money/profit but with great distaste. Why did you do that?

This is truly just for fun/information and maybe some future investment possibilities we can research. I mostly buy stock funds, not individual stocks.
Perhaps you should explain how that might be accomplished.

Perhaps you should explain how that might be accomplished.
okay, you buy and make profit from a lumber sector stock but you can’t stand the thought of logging. But you keep the stock because it is very profitable.

okay, you buy and make profit from a lumber sector stock but you can’t stand the thought of logging. But you keep the stock because it is very profitable.
Right but at the same time avoid "Let’s not get into rants about companies or business sectors we take issue with".

I guess you ignore your beliefs and standards at this point, or decide they aren't all that important after all. Would John Galt approve?

Right but at the same time avoid "Let’s not get into rants about companies or business sectors we take issue with".

I guess you ignore your beliefs and standards at this point, or decide they aren't all that important after all.
I see the nuance you are driving at. Good point! I guess I didn’t want the anti-whatevers to get on their high horse and rant on. If you bought it you have already made a deal with the internal devil.

I mean i hate disney for what they've been before but even more so now because of what they're doing but I've made some money off of them. But i simply don't care. I'd always rather make money off a company i hate then be at a negative position when i sell my negative stake in a company i love. One of the many quintessential cardinal rules in investing is to never ever get emotionally invested about stocks. Break that and you're screwed.

I just prefer ETF's now since they're a lot more stress free and taxes are less annoying. I only had to read a chapter in a basic investing book to learn how to pick them correctly and which to avoid at all times like EMF's or extended market funds as they're almost never worth it over something more traditional and secure like a total market or large cap fund which is usually still more profitable than EMF's in the long run but safer. Less portfolio turnover is always a good thing.

I’ve owned Altria since 2008 but don’t like the fact that they sell cigarettes. 8% annual dividend offsets my guilt.

Usually the latter. Many average joe investors suffer from their own delusions. I don't and gravitate towards good ETF's instead.
Picking induvidual stocks is risky. I rarely do so. In fact, TSLA and my LRCX options are pretty much the only ones I have.
I have been very fortunate with both.

But you know lumber stock supports logging from the get go, no? That's like a vegetarian buying stock in Oscar Meyer. You don't like what they do or stand for, but if it makes you good money, you don't care.

My financial advisor decides what stocks I own. Or rather, he uses an AI system to buy and sell. So, for all I know, it may be buying stocks that I would be repulsed by their policies or products. So yea. I guess I'm ok with what my advisor and the AI system is selecting for my portfolio. I guess I would have to admit that the end result must be what matters most to me. Ignorance is bliss?

My financial advisor decides what stocks I own. Or rather, he uses an AI system to buy and sell. So, for all I know, it may be buying stocks that I would be repulsed by their policies or products. So yea. I guess I'm ok with what my advisor and the AI system is selecting for my portfolio. I guess I would have to admit that the end result must be what matters most to me. Ignorance is bliss?
I'm sure that's true.

If your internal ethics are really that strong and you are seriously adversarial towards a company/product because of their goings on, service, product, means and methods, etc., then you shouldn't assist them in growing financially, no matter what it would do for you financially.

Just my opinion. If you do, well, your morals aren't that great.

I despise Disney and wouldn't invest in them regardless of return.
It's not just their politics....it's also that Roy Disney wanted Disney to be affordable for the middle class....but Eisner, Iger etc...had other ideas...
I would also try to avoid companies that push ESG ...

Amen, brother. Yes, my financial advisor has been instructed by me to no longer invest my money into companies blasting the ESG/DEI crap. If most of us would pull our money from these entities, they would suffer....and they would figure out why.

Is it suppose to be the BEAR in HIBERNATION not the BULL? But it seems it's the other way around in the stock market for the past 2 years.

Back