Bought Some Synergyn Oil Today, Should I Use it Right Away ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just bought a supply of Synergyn 5w-30 oil. My car is in winter storage right now, I drive it once every two weeks around the block for a few miles on dry sunny days. It won't come out for full daily use until April 2003. Right now I have Castrol 5w-30 oil in it which is about two months old. Should I put in the Synergyn oil right now despite the car being in storage and seeing limited mileage over the next 3 months ?. Or should I put it in once the car comes out of storage ? . Do you think this oil is good to keep in the crankcase for 6 months (taking me to June if I put it in now).

I plan on using the Synergyn until end of June ( I put a lot of miles on the car once in full use), and then having it analyzed. In June I will have a supply of Schaeffers oil to use, and I will have it analyzed after its use.

Any opinions would be great !. thanks.
smile.gif

The Synergyn chemistry is very resistant to corrosion and will do fine in the crankcase if not driven much this winter. Get it there and use it instead of wasting in the bottle. It will be fine for 6 months as long as the engine is mechanically sound. We tested it out to 12,000 miles in the heat of Texas Summers with no problems, had lower wear values then a full syn.

Be sure to run it up to operating temp after installation so the new oil cirulates well before storage.

thanks Terry, great advice as always !, much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing how this oil performs.

BTW Terry, since you've had some experience with this oil how long should my first oil change interval be with this oil ?. The oil will be used in a 2002 Honda Civic SiR (so very mechanically sound). Your mention of 12,000 miles has got me thinking a bit now.

These are my choices, I have a track date at the end of June, 2003, on a road course. Between April to June I should put at least 5000 miles on the car before the track event with this oil in the crankcase. I am wondering if I should change this oil out at 5000 miles (just before the event) and have it analyzed or do the track event with this oil and 5000 miles on it. If I change this oil before the event at 5000 miles, my choice is to use Schaeffers Supreme 7000 5w-30 oil for the trip to the event. The event is 5 hrs each way plus a full day of track driving (lapping day event, probably adding a further 1000 miles to the oil. Any further advice would be great. thanks.
canada.gif

[ December 16, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back