Bought our daughter a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tigershark is pretty good.. there are some issues but no more than any other particular engine they put in.. and less than many.

The ZF-9 speed takes some getting used too.. but it really depends on how they tuned it.

I disliked the one in my 17 cherokee with the 3.2

Its a totally different animal in the 19 with the 2.0T

As far as reliability and longevity I think the 2.4 is ahead of the 1.4T they use in the Dart for example.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A female co-worker has had one of these for a few years now and seems very happy with it.
Since she complained bitterly about the Jetta that she tried to get lemon-lawed and found the Civic she replaced it with too plain for her liking, the 200 suits her just fine.
These are attractive cars and reportedly drive pretty well. The Limited model is pretty nicely equipped and they look to have been good value new.
This car should serve your wife and daughter well for a number of years.
As much as I hate to say it, this car was probably a better buy overall than a late model Accord or Camry would have been. It certainly looks better and it does have a nicer interior as well as a surprisingly strong four cylinder along with good fuel mileage ratings.

Why do you "hate to say it"?

A statement that ridiculous, I’d hate to say it too.

Congrats on the purchase! Sound like your daughter is very happy with the choice.

Of course the horror stories with owning a Chrysler product had to come in. These people must think they're doing a public service or something.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I wouldn't compare the reliability of an engine used in a fleet work van to the same engine used in a passenger car.

Trans yes, engine no. Work truck mills are not short tripped to the same extent as cars and usually get the mileage stacked up more quickly than cars. The problems any engine will have will show themselves quickly in fleet use.

WAYYYY too many better options than to buy a mopar car. Truck maybe, car that is not a muscle car or Viper no way.

I think Chrysler may be its own worst enemy in many cases. I own and have owned many different makes of automobiles/trucks. Chrysler products, while not trouble free, have been as good or better than many other makes of vehicle I have owned. In my matrix Ford has been worst and Datsun the best. Yes I said Datsun...been a few years. The reason I say Chrysler may be their own worst enemy is their vehicle mix and finance approach. It seems to cater to the poor on its entry level vehicles such as the Fiat and 200's. This is nothing new as far as they go. Chances are the cheapest new/slightly used vehicle available at any given time will be a Chrysler product. The people that "qualify" for the "special" 18.9% financing are the same people that don't check/change oil. Beat the car while simultaneously using it as a spare bedroom and in all ways maliciously treat the vehicle they will probably end up having repossessed. I am not inferring in any way this applies to the op. It just seems that Chrysler sells many cars to folks that shouldn't or can't qualify to own a car. I know this for a fact as I am related to many of them. Thankfully on my wife's side of the family.
Take care of the car and it should serve well for its intended purpose. If not, utilize the warranty and/or lemon laws available to most U.S. residents.
I like some other posters, will not ever again buy a Ford product due to the experiences I have had. I understand when someone ends up hating a certain marquee. There wasn't an American passenger car built between 1975 and 1982 that was good. Nowadays the quality is mostly there from all the manufacturers with the few exceptions seeming to be the high end European cars like M-B, Jag and Alfa sucking pretty hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Friend of mine has the 2.4L Tigershark in a Dart with 70,xxx miles on it & she says she never had a issue with it. Reason I know what mileage -- I checked her oil level on Monday and it was full nearing her 7500 mile OCI that she has performed since buying new in 2015.

What brand oil and filter are in there presently?

She just moved here from Arizona. She was using a quick lube place while living there. She said she always asked for the Synthetic oil change. I have no idea what filter is on presently until I change her oil here in the next two weeks.

despite Chryslers reputation for poor quality, I have owned many. I recently was shopping for the same: a late model 200 for my kids.

Sergio Marchionne dissed this car almost as quickly as it was introduced. Don't remember that happening with any CEO. Still I thought it could have gotten by with just a little FCA love.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
It seems to cater to the poor on its entry level vehicles such as the Fiat and 200's. This is nothing new as far as they go. Chances are the cheapest new/slightly used vehicle available at any given time will be a Chrysler product. The people that "qualify" for the "special" 18.9% financing are the same people that don't check/change oil. Beat the car while simultaneously using it as a spare bedroom and in all ways maliciously treat the vehicle they will probably end up having repossessed. I am not inferring in any way this applies to the op. It just seems that Chrysler sells many cars to folks that shouldn't or can't qualify to own a car.

I agree with this too, which is probably why the car was priced well with such low mileage.
The finance woman wasn't expecting my wife to write a check either, which was why she probably pushed the extended warranty and we didn't take the bait.

I used to own a shop and my initial inspection is that it was well taken care of. No weird engine noises and the tranny shifted well. All of my vehicles have their maintenance recorded in a book, so hopefully all we have for a while will be oil/filter and air filter changes. When it comes time for tires, I'm a fan of Uniroyal, and will probably order up a set of Tiger-Paws in the All-Season flavor. I have a tire machine and balancer, so they can be done at home.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
When it comes time for tires, I'm a fan of Uniroyal, and will probably order up a set of Tiger-Paws in the All-Season flavor. I have a tire machine and balancer, so they can be done at home.

Be careful with those bombs if you need them for winter driving. Every tire in their line up has bad winter traction according to this review site. A set of Cooper CS3 tires will serve the car and it's owner well.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/uniroyal-tire-reviews/

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

My wife and daughter actually found it at my wife's Kia dealer. Her sales guy is pretty awesome and they test drove a bunch of cars before my daughter settled on the 200. She said it drove the best out of all they tested and after I drove it around the block a few times, it definitely drives well. The sound system is very impressive too.

The only downside to buying it was dealing with the finance woman (probably a good topic for another thread). We paid cash and I wanted no extras but she kept pushing a 3rd party extended warranty that started when you buy the car, not after the factory. The end mileage is the same as the factory powertrain too, 60K miles. It was useless.
Fortunately, I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday, so no GAP either.

My daughter lives on her own and has a year left of college, so this was a pre-grad gift.
I guess the good thing about so,so reviews is that we picked the car up with less than 30K miles for just under $12K (talked them down a bit). I thought that was a pretty good deal. Of course she was pushing that extended warranty. Big $$ in it for her. Nothing but an insurance policy. And not a very good one at that.

Thanks guys.

My wife and daughter actually found it at my wife's Kia dealer. Her sales guy is pretty awesome and they test drove a bunch of cars before my daughter settled on the 200. She said it drove the best out of all they tested and after I drove it around the block a few times, it definitely drives well. The sound system is very impressive too.

The only downside to buying it was dealing with the finance woman (probably a good topic for another thread). We paid cash and I wanted no extras but she kept pushing a 3rd party extended warranty that started when you buy the car, not after the factory. The end mileage is the same as the factory powertrain too, 60K miles. It was useless.
Fortunately, I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday, so no GAP either.

My daughter lives on her own and has a year left of college, so this was a pre-grad gift.
I guess the good thing about so,so reviews is that we picked the car up with less than 30K miles for just under $12K (talked them down a bit). I thought that was a pretty good deal. That extended warranty she is pushing will mean $$ for the dealer and a bonus for her. Nothing but an insurance policy, and when you file a claim, they will find every way under the Sun to deny coverage.

Congrats on your purchase! in my area 2016s with low mileage are selling for $9000-$10000. it's a great vehicle for a young person with a limited budget. They don't hold their value because of the perceived low quality.

The NHTSA has 8 Recalls on the 2015, make sure you take the car to a Chrysler dealership.

If the vehicle maintains its speed or accelerates despite attempts to deactivate the cruise control, there would be an increased risk of a crash.

If the vehicle unexpectedly shifts to neutral, there is an increased risk of a crash.

An intermittent loss of power to electrical components could cause a vehicle to stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

Exploitation of the software vulnerability may result in unauthorized remote modification and control of certain vehicle systems, increasing the risk of a crash.

If the shift indicator displays "Park" but the park lock does not engage, the vehicle may roll away increasing the risk of a crash

Excessive heat and melting wiring insulation may result in an electrical short, increasing the risk of a fire

Damage to the tire or reduced braking increases the risk of a vehicle crash.

Congrats, I've driven the 200 and thought it was a nice car. A 3 year old loaded midsize with less than 30k on the odo is a deal at less than $12k.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Congrats, I've driven the 200 and thought it was a nice car. A 3 year old loaded midsize with less than 30k on the odo is a deal at less than $12k.

I think you used to own one also.
smile.gif

That sounds like a good deal! I can't say I have heard anything good about these 200's, but it may very well be a solid car for her. I had always heard horror stories about VW but my wife and her mom have owned 4 and they have been good cars so far.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I think you used to own one also.
smile.gif

Never owned a 200, but if I was in the market for a used midsize it would be on my list.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I wouldn't compare the reliability of an engine used in a fleet work van to the same engine used in a passenger car.

Trans yes, engine no. Work truck mills are not short tripped to the same extent as cars and usually get the mileage stacked up more quickly than cars. The problems any engine will have will show themselves quickly in fleet use.

A voice of reason. I did say that the results in a car may be different than the results in my work van.
BTW, 58,000 miles in 18 months here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back