Bought my wife new laptop. What to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she is like my wife - she wont want much other than a PDF viewer (assuming it isnt built into the browser) and a easy to use picture viewer..

tell her to have fun and to NOT download virus material - no matter or interesting it looks.. LOL

brian

For picture viewing- Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com Install the program first, (uncheck the option for the free toolbar recommended), then install the plugins. For antivirus Avira, for anti malware...Superantispyware and/or Malwarebytes. That's my $.02.

I bought the same one for my Partner. They are great units!
thumbsup2.gif

Enjoy...

Set her Firefox up with a nice theme and 8-10 good add-ons - good tab ones, downloads, pop-up controllers, no-script, etc....

Take the time to teach her to run a deep scan every few days with something like a-squared.

Originally Posted By: tropic
First thing to do is create the Restore DVDs. Trust me.
wink.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Then put on a good Anti virus like ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security.

Then do all the windows updates to make sure it's all nice and secure

Then put on a Spyware software

Originally Posted By: crinkles
picasa is pretty good for photos. i really like it.

Ditto,
my wife uses it all the time. Pretty sleek and useful. And free. Also second the advice on Firefox, and free antivirus and antispywere software of your choice.

Originally Posted By: tropic
First thing to do is create the Restore DVDs. Trust me.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, that was done first thing along with updating everything that was pre-installed that I kept on the computer.

I have been using Kaspersky on my laptop but will try these freebies on hers.

Good suggestions guys. Keep um coming.

Maybe a 10" netbook if you are not doing something too power hungry. Take a look in the store and see what is great for the price.

I once shopped with my niece for her first laptop and convinced her to switch her decision from a $1200 one to a $600 one. My parents told me to mind my own business but I'm glad that I did, because she liked the $1200 Sony for the way it looks, and her parents have no clue what is worth how much.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Maybe a 10" netbook if you are not doing something too power hungry. Take a look in the store and see what is great for the price.

I once shopped with my niece for her first laptop and convinced her to switch her decision from a $1200 one to a $600 one. My parents told me to mind my own business but I'm glad that I did, because she liked the $1200 Sony for the way it looks, and her parents have no clue what is worth how much.

Her laptop is already purchased and home. I did however buy myself a new ASUS 1000HE netbook to use for tuning and datalogging on my motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back