Bought an 05 Suzuki Reno. Sounds like a diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought a 2005 Suzuki Reno 5 speed with 68k miles for 3 grand. It's super clean and seemed like a really solid little commuter vehicle. It was a little low on oil but still above the min mark on the dipstick. It seems to be going through some oil which bothers me but I've noticed today it rattles and sounds almost like a diesel. The oil level is perfect now so it's not like it's starved. It could be that it sounded the same yesterday when I was checking it out but because I was trying to look at anything and everything, I just didn't notice. Is the GM 2.0 Dtec just a loud little engine or should I worry of bigger problems? Consumer reviews for this car were vastly positive.

I should add...The timing belt is a known issue on these cars and the timing belt did break about a year ago. On 8/10/2013 the previous owner had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Then on 9/18/2013 they had the head replaced. I'm not sure why it took a month to do the head after the timing belt broke but who knows. That's another reason I bought the car. The previous owner recently dumped $1900 into the car, fixing known issues. Maybe I was wrong?

if the timing belt broke it probably needed new valves, possibly pistons and other engine internal work..

a month is about normal for a shop that shipped the head out.

ask me how I know this
15.gif

Last edited:
It's probably due for another timing belt ...

Or when the timing belt snapped / pulley failed the first time, it did permanent damage.

I'd stay away from anything that said Suzuki,Daewoo or Isuzu.(Or Peugeot,Renault,SAAB,Opel,Borgward,MG/Triumph/Austin/Rover,Goliath,DKW...).

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Sounds like they screwed up that t belt change.....

That was also my first thought. But I don't know if the oil consumption could be due to improper/ bad timing.

post a video of the engine noise, perception is everything, internet guessing is eternal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back