Bought a used truck. Oil recommendation :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gone is the 2012 Accent
frown.gif

I picked up a 2008 Ford F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 liter V8. Wanted a toy hauler
wink.gif

I've seen that M1 seems to be a good contender in the 5w30 flavor. The cap calls for 5w20 and I plan on doing 50/50 mixed driving. I do plan on doing some minor towing with it, but no more than an atv on a trailer. Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
The cap calls for 5w20 and I plan on doing 50/50 mixed driving.

A quick trip to the salvage yard and that cap can be replaced by a 5W-30 cap, or better yet, a 10W-30 cap.

Motorcraft blend 5w20, or 5w30. That oil has continuously showed very good UOA's from what I have seen and did great for me when I did 7k mile/OCI.

MC 5w20 blend. Change it per the OLM.

Since PP is back up to $25.xx a jug at WM, I am planning on running this stuff in my dads Ford. The truck wont care and it saves him $6 a jug.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A quick trip to the salvage yard and that cap can be replaced by a 5W-30 cap, or better yet, a 10W-30 cap.

Totally ignore this bovine scatology and use what Ford specified for the engine. 5W-20 will have the engine FAR outlast the chassis in which it is installed. It depends it you want to extend your OCIs or not. If 7,500 is the maximum you will go on an oil change, I would recommend Mobil Super 5000 and a MC FL-820s for an oil filter--very reasonable cost and runs well in these engines. If you are going to extend to say 15K or so, I recommend Mobil 1 (5W-20 or 0W-20) and a Fram Ultra XG2 filter.

If you want to see (in general) how these two oils perform in a 5.4L (and also Pennzoil Ultra); have a look here .

(A quick trip to the salvage yard and that cap can be replaced by a 5W-30 cap, or better yet, a 10W-30 cap.) a great post!!! but so very true!!!

Gone is the 2012 Accent
frown.gif

I picked up a 2008 Ford F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 liter V8. Wanted a toy hauler
wink.gif

I've seen that M1 seems to be a good contender in the 5w30 flavor. The cap calls for 5w20 and I plan on doing 50/50 mixed driving. I do plan on doing some minor towing with it, but no more than an atv on a trailer. Suggestions?

Those motors run just fine on 5W20. No need to go up in weight.

I would go Motorcraft or Kendall in that rig.

If you dont know the history of the truck you may want to run only 2-3 k on your first change just for cleaning and then go longer on any name brand oil
For filters I would go with MC up to 7500 miles and if you want to run syn for 12-15k I would use Fram Ultra
Have fun

Ever wonder why the same vehicles with a 10W-30 cap happen to be in the salvage yard?

have fun changing the plugs in the 5.4!

Personally I would use Supertech or Motorcraft 5-20. Either one will probably get the engine to 400k miles with proper maintenance of everything else.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Totally ignore this bovine scatology and use what Ford specified for the engine.

LOL! I knew that would get somebody.
grin2.gif

Honestly, your Ford doesn't care a bit if you use 5/30. Buy what is readily available and drive it until the wheels fall off the chassis!

Totally ignore this bovine scatology and use what Ford specified for the engine.

LOL! I knew that would get somebody.
grin2.gif

Oh, it did not get me, I was simply calling it as I saw it being a 5.4L owner and all...
11.gif

Do you pay any attention at all here or what?

Look at FX's myriad of used oil analysis and tell me if it's going to get any better than that.
Real data,not your methane infused opinion.

Totally ignore this bovine scatology and use what Ford specified for the engine. 5W-20 will have the engine FAR outlast the chassis in which it is installed. It depends it you want to extend your OCIs or not. If 7,500 is the maximum you will go on an oil change, I would recommend Mobil Super 5000 and a MC FL-820s for an oil filter--very reasonable cost and runs well in these engines. If you are going to extend to say 15K or so, I recommend Mobil 1 (5W-20 or 0W-20) and a Fram Ultra XG2 filter.

If you want to see (in general) how these two oils perform in a 5.4L (and also Pennzoil Ultra); have a look here .

ha.

Beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back