Bought a new pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just bought a pressure washer from harbor freight tools. Check it out:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95618

This unit will be used for a side business washing cars and houses. I know it's not industrial grade, but for $255 after discounts (normally $399) I could not resist. The unit comes with a Mitsubishi 6hp (they don't make small engines to my knowledge) mated to a 2800psi 2.5gpm pump of unknown quality. The manual stated that the pump comes prefilled with oil, but says nothing regarding when to change it and what weight to use. Can someone chime in and let me know what I need to do as far as maintenance goes (intervals, amount of oil and type)? I can handle the engine oil, I just don't know anything about pumps.

So what do you guys think?

Quote:

The unit comes with a Mitsubishi 6hp (they don't make small engines to my knowledge)

offtopic.gif

Sorry I'm not answering your question but FYI Mitsubishi makes the Vanguard engines for Briggs. Nice little engines.

As for the oil in your pump, I would guess a non-detergent 30 weight.

After looking at the B&S 6hp Vangaurd I believe you are right.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=99617

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitsubishi-6-0HP-OHV...bayphotohosting

If this is true I'd say I made a good move of buying the washer I did instead of the other one I decided against:

http://www.karcher-usa.com/showproducts.php?op=view_prod&param1=247&param2=&param3=

I saved $100 and looks like it was a well saved. Even if the pump goes out in a year I can just pop a Cat pump on it and keep on trucking.

Last edited:
LOL...

Scratch that.

I was just testing the unit by washing the grill and some of my little boy's toys in the back yard and it gave up the ghost after about thirty minutes.

Cause: You guessed it. Pump gave out. Well back to harbor freight it goes.

You guys want to help me put one together myself?

I'm thinkng Robin Subaru with a Cat or Comet pump.

Go to your local Sam's Club and pick up a 2.4 GPM 2500 PSI Karcher pressure washer that is powered by a Honda engine for only 249.00. Mine has been great and very reliable.

The Robin engines as you mentioned have very good reviews but obtaining parts might be more difficult than a more common engine.

The CAT pumps are supposedly good as well, don't know about Comet. General pumps are a big seller in the industrial side of things so I've heard.

I bought a Karcher 2400HH 2400PSI, 2.5 GPM, Honda engine at Costco a few years ago for around $300. It has performed flawlessly except for the unloader which just needed some grease.

If you're going into business on your own then the Robin/CAT setup sounds excellent IMO.

Just my 0.02-

Cat 3SP30G1 + Robin EX27 would be a happy combo. A Honda GX series would be a happy camper on that as well. By the time you get nickel and dimed for bypasses, hoses, nozzles, cart etc it's cheaper to buy a prebuilt. I worry about Honda GS series on a washer application, but if you can get a deal like Drew for $249 it is worth the 120-150 hours you will get out of it.

Ouch. I have a Honda powered pup with a Comet pump, from Northern Hyd.

It's about 4-5 years old now and runs like a top. Call me butt-boy but I've only changed the earl twice. (Pump (Amsoil Tractor Oil) and Engine (ASL)). This summer I'm gonna change the Engine earl to ACD when I change earl in my Generator, mowers, tiller, edger, etc.

I think it's a good idea to spend the lion's share of your pressure washer purchase on the pump. Going with a chinese knock off of a honda engine is the way I have gone also, because from what I've heard, these knock off's are getting pretty good from a reliability standpoint. They are really economical to buy as well - my local costco sells a 6hp knockoff horizontle shaft engine for around $160.

The pump is what counts here so your money is best spent in this area, and I think you can afford to economize on the gas engine component given the recent quality of the knock offs. This is especially true if you're buying it from a reputable company where you can return the engine if you have a problem.

Hmmm....I have an Excell pressure washer that is 2 years old and have never changed the oil in the pump - I don't recall the manual even mentioning it. Am I missing something here?

Now, the manual did mention using a pump preservative that you spray into the pump prior to storage and I have done that, it's just the pump oil changes that I am apparently remiss.

Any suggestions?

That Excell unit probably has a maintenance free pump, meaning that the pump isn't designed to last long enough to need an oil change.

"Call me butt-boy"

????????????????????????

Don't know nuthin 'about high-pressure pumps other than "You can put an eye out with that thing!!!!!"

Wondered why that statement seems to always refer to but one eye. Gosh, seems it would pert' near as easy to put out teo EYES with assorted things.

And, remember, wear your seat belt. But not necessarilly when using the high-pressure thingy.

Good luck!!!!!!

Curious, any hassels returning the critter to Harbor Freight? Money back or do they make you accept the same or similar goody as replacement?

If buying a honda engine Id go with a GX model - they are the top of the line versions... otherwise go with a Robin Subaru. Honda might have the name with the masses, but Robin is the maker that has the best engines, in my experience.

id go with a cat pump, but there area few makers that have other brands that are good.

Id save all the hassle, go to home depot, and buy the (now Dewalt branded) unit that has the honda GX and cat pump all together in a set. $699 IIRC. I have a white house, so its a nice unit to have!

JMH

Drew have you used any bleach in the chemical injector tank?

I just purchased a Karcher G3000 BH with the GC 6 HP Honda. Sounds very simlar to yours.

I notice it says not to use bleach in the manuel. Here in South Louisiana that about all I know of to clean the mildew etc.

Anybody out there used bleach in the cheap (non cermic type pumps)?

The think the pump is brass. Can't be much else for $223.61.
Thanks to all for any comments / dos / don't.

Thanks for the information. You are correct. I have been googling etc.
Does anyone know a good product to use with a pressure washer to clean mainly mildew off house with mostly vinyl siding?

Bebop,

Go get yourself a pump up sprayer (lawn and garden/bug sprayer) and fill with the following.

5 parts water
1 part bleach
touch of dish soap

Spray the house with this mix and then pressure wash with straight water.

I promise this works like a champ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back