Bought a house, looking for mower...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a house on a circle drive. Not too big, very flat lot.
But I want to purchase a quality mower.

Right now I am thinking about going by a lawn supply store that has been in town since I was a kid and paying a good deal for a quality machine.
The issue that my father has had in the past with buying from Home Depot and Lowes is that 3-5 years after you buy it gets near impossible to find parts.
I figure that if I buy from a lawn supply store if they dont have a used Commercial grade machine, I can get one step below the commercial grade. Then there is the possibility that years down the road I can find parts, and that it is better designed than the inexpensive models.

Also, I although I talk down about them I have gone to Home Depot and looked around. They have a Honda mower with a heavy duty plastic deck.It worked for Glock, Smith and Wesson, and countless others. It will probably work well for Honda too. Plastics can do good things. Im just curious about the design.
Anyone have one of these?

I would buy a Honda in an instant if my current Craftsmen ever died. A lot of clever engineering goes into the Honda mowers, but you don't really appreciate it until you go back to a 'lesser' machine.

They do cost a little more, but maintain it well and it may last for decades!

Do like me and get one from a garage sale or better yet off the corner at trash day. Once you have a good engine, find an old aluminum deck. Buy a set of steel wheels. Give everything a good coat of rustoleum and you're all set. Build at least two more spare engines from parts and keep these in your garage. You'll never have to buy another lawnmower again... If an engine wears out, swap it for a spare. Every 15 years, re apply paint.

Or, if you want the easy way out just buy the Honda.

If the ground is flat and the lot is small, get a 22" push mower, not a self propelled. Change the oil,clean the air filter and sharpen the blade evry year. I dose the gas with a cap of MMO and add Stabil for storage over the winter.

When i bought a home a number of years ago, i bought a used Lawn Boy mower, it worked awesome and there were options that one could add to it to help pick up the leaves.

My old one used mixed gas. that could be a draw back

another option would be to find the local guy that fixes mowers and outboards in his garage and see what he has for sale.

My two cents

If you want long term parts support, you gotta go with the brands that offer that - Toro, Snapper, Lawn Boy, etc.

A commercial grade lawn mower for a small, flat yard is overkill but it's your money. You won't use or even notice most of the upgraded capability, but if you can find a nice used one at a good price, it might be a good purchase.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
wally's ohv self prop for 200 still running strong after 3 yrs. no maint what so ever

I have to laugh a bit that your happy the wally mower has lasted 3 years! A sign of the times I guess.
I have a lawnboy that will probably make it to 30 without opening up the motor... And I could rebuild it so it would last another 30...

I`m very happy with the new Toro we got.they have been building quality machines for decades as well.

Last edited:
If you are handy a used 2-stroke lawnboy can't be beat. Their self-propel is dodgy but it doesn't sound like that's necessary for your application. Modern gasoline and 2-stroke oil means a lot less fuss than before. You can have mine when the EPA pries it from my cold, dead fingers.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
I would buy a Honda in an instant if my current Craftsmen ever died. A lot of clever engineering goes into the Honda mowers, but you don't really appreciate it until you go back to a 'lesser' machine.

They do cost a little more, but maintain it well and it may last for decades!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Toro rear drive self propelled (it's only 100 bucks more than a push mower)
I like my super recycler sooo mcuh I purchased another one-kid does the backyard and I do the front at the same time.
Home Depot Toro mowers are different than you will find in your corner independent lawnmower store. They use less expensive Tecumseh (not sure what they will use now since Techumseh is no longer in bidness)and carry a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty instead of the 5 year offered onthe better machines

Steve

I hear you when you guys say that on such a yard I really wont get to appreciate the finer points of a well engineered machine. And this yard is FLAT.
My Father's house is built on a small hill and his last few mowers have been rather inexpensive and have lasted 8 years each. He just gets tired of looking for parts.
He currently has a Toro Super Recycler or something like it.
I used it when they were out of town, it really is an awsome mower.

On one hand I can get a plane jane push mower. I could use it as an additional workout.
But on the other hand I can probably afford a good/better quality machine.
So far I haven't seen an opinion that I disagree with. Its more a time vs. money type of opinions out there.

2-3 spare engines and a free deck found by trash picking is more time consuming and less expensive, although my father's last 2 mowers were in the trash less than 2 hours before someone came and picked them up. Fun, yes. Time consuming, very.

Buying a very nice mower that is designed to mow yards all day long for days at a time is expensive. But not time consuming at all. Go buy it, change the assembly oil, fill it up and mow.

I do like the Trash Picking idea... it sounds fun.
I can see my mother-in-law's face when my wife tells her how much fun it was to go trash picking for a new mower.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20

Home Depot Toro mowers are different than you will find in your corner independent lawnmower store. They use less expensive Tecumseh (not sure what they will use now since Techumseh is no longer in bidness)and carry a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty instead of the 5 year offered onthe better machines

The change from 5 year to 3 year just happened with the last model year, I don't think it differs betw. HomeDepot and others. If you go to Toro.com, you will see that all the Recycler series have a 3-year warranty now, regardless where they're sold. The only way you'll get the longer warranty is if you find a really old model still sitting at some store somewhere.

By the way, they all use Briggs&Stratton engines now (again, regardless where they're sold), apart from some top of the line models that use Honda engines.

If it were me, I'd go to the classifieds, or garage sales, etc. You can find very good deals on mowers that people just don't want/need, and they usually don't need work.

Those old Techumseh motors were nice though.Idled nice and smooth,had decent power.I`m talking about the old ones,late 60`s early 70`s engines.

Last edited:
I would certainly stick with a brand name.
They often have Honda engines so that's a plus.
LawnBoy and Toro are twins (almost) now.
I can get Huskavarna (?) at several dept. stores; they are heavy but solid.
Look around; check for deals.
Read up on the models on the internet.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I do like the Trash Picking idea... it sounds fun.
I can see my mother-in-law's face when my wife tells her how much fun it was to go trash picking for a new mower.
banana2.gif

Well then, the decision's been made!

Wow Johnny...I finally met someone that also has a 40 plus year old Lawnboy...Mine is a 41 year old " tin top"...still runs and cuts THE BEST !!....Its not picky on the mixture also...I just sharpen the blade twice a year, and add some MMO and 2cycle to the gas, currently BP w/Invigorate, and I'm good for the season...This machine might go in my will !...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back