Bought a brand new car (for a week, that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece was looking at a 2005 Honda Element with 65K on it... For about $13K!

I suggested that since this was probably the best opportunity in the history of the motor vehicle to buy a new car CHEAP! (well, since the Model T) we ought to consider an alternative or two.

She liked all the Subaru models, the Mazda 3 and the Matrix, too. Well, I suggested she take a look at the 2nd Generation 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L 5-speed with a/c loss leader that was in the paper for $13,900, since I had GM Card earnings (a "credit") for over $2K!

$16,935 Mulroney, discounted to $13,900 + license & registration - the GM Card credit = $12,055.64 out the door, with traction control, Stabilitrac(? spelling), tire pressure monitoring system, electric power steering, 205/55HR16 Goodyear Eagle RA tires, 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes, and a pretty decent stereo! Rated 26/32 EPA

Made in the US of A, too!

Unbelieveable deal! $12k otd for a brand new car that isn't a tiny subcompact is a great deal.

The "loss leaders" are where the sweet deals can really be found. A few years ago the loss leader had no a/c, no radio, lousy interior and no options. Today, even the loss leader is full of great options!

So for less than the 4 year old Element was going to be, she got a brand new car with 100k warranty! Sweet!

Naw, she's had a couple Ford Ranger pickups (her Dad bought her a new '95 base Ranger I found for $6,995!!!! when she 1st moved out here) with the 5-speed manual. She's pretty good with a clutch, that truck had over 100K on it when she traded it for a XLT SuperCab 4L 4WD she needed for some BLM contract work she was doing down near Ashland.

I was impressed with the amount of room in the back, even with the rear seats up. A GM warranty and a Toyota powertrain is a pretty good combo, IMHO.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Not to mention it's a much nicer car than the Element, too.

Is this your niece's first standard transmission?

That's debatable. Let us know what the new Pontiac is like in four years and 65K. I've owned three Elements and have two now, and they are great vehicles. Absolutely no problems. Except my son keeps hitting deer and turkeys.

But the $12K on a new car is a great deal. I would of done the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
A GM warranty and a Toyota powertrain is a pretty good combo, IMHO.

That's a bulletproof argument. What an amazing deal. Everyone needs an uncle like you.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

That's debatable. Let us know what the new Pontiac is like in four years and 65K. I've owned three Elements and have two now, and they are great vehicles. Absolutely no problems. Except my son keeps hitting deer and turkeys.

Not debatable, Vibe is a Matrix in GM skin, very reliable.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Not debatable, Vibe is a Matrix in GM skin, very reliable.

I do not like either car for my self, but I would take the Honda reliability wise.

Sometimes I debate about getting something a bit newer for myself, since deals are so good right now.

But then I remember that my old car, although it has a bit of rust, is mechanically just fine, and it's paid for! Having no car payment is awesome.

The Vibe should be just fine, that's a sweet deal especially with all of those options. Keep it maintained and it should last a long time.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
But then I remember that my old car, although it has a bit of rust, is mechanically just fine, and it's paid for! Having no car payment is awesome.

I feel you. What, two years ago now, I sold my old car with 194K, which ran great, still got good gas mileage, had all the accessories working, etc. If anything was wrong with it the cheap plastic chrome was peeling off and it had some rust.

Now I've got a newer car, I honestly don't like it as much as the old one, and I'm out 16 grand. Oh well.

I just had a 2009 Matrix as a rental last night. The electric power steering exceeded my expectations. The engine was really lacking though, I had to drive up Hwy 17 in 3rd gear.

Overall, great buy for $12k. Good work.

I loved the 2.4 Vibe AWD I test drove, very smooth and quick car, excellent in the snow as well. Interior seemed very good, plenty of room, and a great price ($16k, fully loaded!)

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I loved the 2.4 Vibe AWD I test drove, very smooth and quick car, excellent in the snow as well. Interior seemed very good, plenty of room, and a great price ($16k, fully loaded!)

Can't say enough about all wheel drive cars, especially in climates like ours where snow is on the ground 6 months out of the year.

Great deal, it pays to shop around and use your head.
thumbsup2.gif

The new Vibe looks great comapred to the previous body style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back