Bought a 2013 Expedition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what a beast lol.

I was originally looking at picking up an older Expedition (2007-2009), and to keep my Frontier as a weekend chore truck. However, after some searching, I determined that for the used car prices, none of the vehicles were maintained up to my standards (I am a bitoger after all). So I just bit the bullet and traded my truck in on this beast.

It's a silver Expedition Max (EL) Limited model, so it's got pretty much every option there is. I'm a little concerned about all of the electronics being reliable, but the powertrain is pretty solid and tested. It's slightly used, (20,000 miles) so someone kindly took a bath on the initial depreciation for me.

There's probably no point in comparing it to my old truck as they're for completely different purposes.

I don't know what else to say. It's fairly thirsty, (not as bad as I was expecting) rides very smooth, tons of room for adults, kids, and dogs in the back, lots of nice little features (the heated/cooled seats is my favorite).

This should be my truck for the next 15 years if all goes according to plan.

Thanks for helping to increase the north American usage of oil with that vehicle.

Krown?

In the US the shop I use will not CarWell vehicles in the dead of winter because it would take too long for the vehicles to warm up so they could be sprayed. Maybe larger shops can store the vehicle for a day to let it warm up.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thanks for helping to increase the north American usage of oil with that vehicle.

Krown?

In the US the shop I use will not CarWell vehicles in the dead of winter because it would take too long for the vehicles to warm up so they could be sprayed. Maybe larger shops can store the vehicle for a day to let it warm up.

Ha ha, I'm directly employed by the oil industry so if anything, I'm helping myself.

I've never tried any of those rustproofing places, but I'm pretty good about doing a spring and fall polish and sealant coat. All of my vehicles paint looks fantastic.

Originally Posted By: D189379

Ha ha, I'm directly employed by the oil industry so if anything, I'm helping myself.

I hear you. If you purchased a hybrid or even [gasp!] EV, you could get fired.

BTW, do you get some kind discount on fuel?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

BTW, do you get some kind discount on fuel?

Not a penny off. And it's close to being 25% more expensive in Canada than the USA.

We looked at a 2014 Expedition recently (all of the 2013's were gone), but we settled on a 2014 Explorer. The powertrain is tried and true and durability will not be a problem--I ran the wheels off a 1999 model. However, one of the turn-offs for me (other than the obvious price) was the electronics in that they were the "old" version (more or less like the ones in my 2010 FX4). The Explorer is cutting edge (both of us are in the IT field so it feeds our need for a fix) and it gets quite a few more MPG than the Expedition.

If you have a need for it, the Expedition cannot be beat (we looked at Yukons too, but quickly did a thumbs down). Enjoy that new vehicle and throw some M1 AFE 0W-20 in it--my FX4 seems to really like it.

Originally Posted By: D189379

Krown?

I've never tried any of those rustproofing places, but I'm pretty good about doing a spring and fall polish and sealant coat. All of my vehicles paint looks fantastic.

Its the underside of the vehicle that needs the rustproofing. All depends upon how long you will keep the vehicle.

I wouldn't worry about the electronics. Most of that stuff is fairly reliable. I'm one to get the cars loaded up with all the stuff and have not had any issues. I'd much rather trust electronics with no moving parts than a mechanical system.

If you are really that concerned, maybe look into the Ford ESP. I know we can buy them online here in the USA but not sure about Canada.

Congrats and enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
However, one of the turn-offs for me (other than the obvious price) was the electronics in that they were the "old" version (more or less like the ones in my 2010 FX4).

Ha ha that's kind of funny. I'm the opposite, I kind of like that it's not too cutting edge. Besides, it's still a huge step up from my old truck, and even a bit overwhelming for me. There are definitely more distractions to pry your eyes off of the road.

I looked briefly at the Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans, but the 5.3L with the cylinder shutdown seemed to have issues with oil burning, and the rear seats were awful. Also, the Expeditions have a lot worse depreciation, so I was looking at $10,000 more to get the same equipment.

The Nissan and Toyota were still pricey, and don't offer an extended version, so there is next to nothing for storage behind the third row.

Its the underside of the vehicle that needs the rustproofing. All depends upon how long you will keep the vehicle.

We don't really have issues with rust here. Calgary's climate is basically the same as Denver. Always dry.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
We looked at a 2014 Expedition recently (all of the 2013's were gone), but we settled on a 2014 Explorer. The powertrain is tried and true and durability will not be a problem--I ran the wheels off a 1999 model. However, one of the turn-offs for me (other than the obvious price) was the electronics in that they were the "old" version (more or less like the ones in my 2010 FX4). The Explorer is cutting edge (both of us are in the IT field so it feeds our need for a fix) and it gets quite a few more MPG than the Expedition.

If you have a need for it, the Expedition cannot be beat (we looked at Yukons too, but quickly did a thumbs down). Enjoy that new vehicle and throw some M1 AFE 0W-20 in it--my FX4 seems to really like it.

I'm in IT field as well. I don't want that stuff on my car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back