Bought 2014 Accord LX BLK/BLK With Good Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend my daughter and I went to Honda World in Westminster to buy the Accord LX 4-cyl.

Her friend knows the dealer owner, he talk to the owner and make appointment for her to see him.

First, he agreed to sell the Accord LX with 3 miles on odometer for Invoice price. The MSRP is $23,545($790 shipping included) and Invoice is $21,828($200 advertisement included), so he discounted about $1,700 from MSRP.

I told him Invoice price is too high and offered $20,500, $1,300 below Invoice and $3,000 below MSRP.

He went down from $21,828 to $21,500 then $21,300 then $21,100 with 2 years free oil changes and said it was the lowest he could go. I told him that he has 4-5% hold back from Honda, so $20,500 is fair price.

He stuck at $21,100 for 3-4 minutes so I went up to 20,600 with 2 years free oil changes and told him we would walk if they don't agree with the offer.

The owner accept the offer with a little trick with paperwork: Selling price is $21,100 plus tax and license then deduct $500 rebate from HMC(Honda Manufacture Corporation), so we paid a little more tax (8% of $500 = $40). I wasn't happy about that $40 extra tax but he said no other way that can done so we accept it. Also, his Finance guy would try to get the HFC(Honda Finance Corporation) special interest of 0.9%.

The total out of the door was $22,5xx. It isn't bad for $2950 below MSRP and $1260 below Invoice.

Anything under invoice your doing pretty good.

Im not a big Honda Fan of Late, but will admit they are doing better with the new Accord. The looks of Honda and Acura cars of recent past??
37.gif

Jeff

Good deal on a good car.
Nice prior research and negotiating on your part.

Excellent price. I'm seeing $21K on Truecar, and that's for a manual. No maintenance contract of course.

This is a good time to be buying a new car if you can swing it. The prices of used cars are pretty rich.

Were you buying the car for your daughter?

What are your thoughts on the Accord? Different animals for sure, but how does it compare to your '94 Lexus?

I was looking for 2010-2012 Accord for some weeks, used Accords were listing on several websites at very high price. 2010 Accord LX's with 60-70k miles were asking north of $13k.

For few thousands more my daughter got a brand new Accord with better styling and with warranty.

I was surprise that we got that Accord for $1200 below invoice, I was thinking about $500-600 below invoice is a pretty decent deal. The reason was the owner keeps dropping the price quickly, so I smelled that he wanted to rid of us for a reasonable price that he can afford, so we stuck with $20,500 for as long as we could.

PS Dealer tried to add $995 for dealer installed "Invisible Paint protection", I told him I didn't like that and remove it. He said "it's free because it's on the car already, can't remove it"

Last edited:
Good deal. A Fusion can pretty readily be had for $5k off sticker, but I can understand it isn't everyone's thing. Plus resale will be lower so you're probably even in the end.

Got my Focus for $300 less, $4900 off sticker, and it has leather, heated seats, moonroof, 18" rims and Michelin Pilot Sports. And other niceties like fogs, side mirror turn signals and puddle lamps. Arguably more bang for the buck but if your daughter has kids then I'd choose the Accord too. Focus is too small for a family. Perfect for my commute though. I considered a mid size but I don't need the space so why pay for it?

I'm sour on free dealer oil changes now. Got it with my Durango but it's at least a 2 hour affair for me; hour round trip to the dealer, then at least another hour of waiting. Last week my wife was told at least a 2 hour wait on a Tuesday morning. I told her to forget it and I changed it myself in 20 minutes that night. Plus I can let it drain for an hour while doing something else. Higher quality job in 1/5th the time plus $20.

Last edited:
I am finding that the truecar.com "dealer price" is a good deal before TTL. I am not saying to buy through them but to use it as a guide. I am showing $20,483 "dealer price" via truecar.com for a 14 Accord LX Sedan in my zip code. I bought a 13 Prius Two in January and solicited 30 dealers individually, the three lowest bids (OTD prior to TTL) were pretty close to truecar.com "dealer price". If there are any "fees" between "dealer price" and TTL then its no longer a deal. I tried to work with my local dealer but every time we would progress through the negotiation there was another gotacha raising the price.

Southeastern Toyota provides the first two 10k oil changes free. I will not be taking advantage of them. The only reason a vehicles visits the dealer is for warranty work.

Last edited:
Southeastern Toyota on the west coast of Florida is in a very competitive area...from Naples to Tampa there are hundreds of car dealers, corps and indies...a great buyers' market.

Nice deal.. So the dealer ended up making nothing in the end?

I like the lines of the newest accord. Handsome car IMO. Your point on pricing is right. Used Hondas are an absolutely stupid buy at the prices asked.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Southeastern Toyota on the west coast of Florida is in a very competitive area...from Naples to Tampa there are hundreds of car dealers, corps and indies...a great buyers' market.

Two of the three low prices and where I bought (Bradenton) from were in West Central Florida.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice deal.. So the dealer ended up making nothing in the end?

I like the lines of the newest accord. Handsome car IMO. Your point on pricing is right. Used Hondas are an absolutely stupid buy at the prices asked.

I think dealer probably made no more than $400-500 on this deal, may be less.

3-4 years old Accord in So Cal demands so high price, only 25-30% less than brand new 2014 with newer design. 2013 Accord LX with 12-15k miles still asking $18-20k which is less than $2000 less than new 2014. It doesn't make sense to buy used.

Man, you have been member here for almost a decade and still have not realized that one should NEVER say a word about the price you paid for the car?

Around here people are so in love with Japanese cars you have to pay MSRP or more on hot models.

When a new model comes out our local Toyota dealer tacks on a few grand extra profit in a "market adjustment". Morons pay it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Man, you have been member here for almost a decade and still have not realized that one should NEVER say a word about the price you paid for the car?

Why never say the price I paid for the new car ?

I posted the price I paid and how to get it so that other members know and when they go out to buy similar car(s) they can get better deal than invoice.

So far nobody slams me for posting the actual price we paid for the car. Will you tell me why I should not do this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back