Bosch Premium 3423 Cut Open (Money Shots Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on the Burb for only 1,847 miles/2 1/2 months. I removed it so early because I wanted to get the Valvoline MaxLife NextGen out of the sump prior to my 3,000 mile road trip. The overall construction was very good, so I will refer you to the 3423 I cut open in April for the basic construction, pleat spacing, etc.: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...en#Post3354846.

The ADBV worked very well. In fact,it work too well, resulting in a huge mess when I took the filter apart four months after taking it out of service and storing it base-side down that entire time. I am glad I was taking it apart and taking photos on the sealed garage floor rather than the wood-topped workbench.

The only things to report here are that the pleats were spaced pretty wide at the seam and the media there was pretty wavy. However, there were not tears. That may be due to the short service time/mileage, but it may also be because this is a taller than spec'd filter, resulting in a lower pressure gradient across the filter media. I think it is a combination of both, as my prior 3423 that was in service for nearly 7,700 miles was tear-free but I am not confident that this one could have lasted that long intact.

I do not remember which ends in the photos are the dome and base plate ends, but they are both from the seam and you can see some pretty wide spacing and major waviness. Although it looks like there may be a tear in the pleat to the right of the seam in the first photo, I tried pushing it around with my finger and there was no tear.
20140830_143039_zps6uyd57gy.jpg

20140830_143115_zpsq9pbsccj.jpg

Filter doesn't look to bad, but that oil looks a little nasty for being ran less than 2k miles. How many miles are on the motor?

Just under 136k when this oil was drained. I forgot to mention that there was also a bottle of LM MOS2 in there, which is probably the cause of the odd color.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Just under 136k when this oil was drained. I forgot to mention that there was also a bottle of LM MOS2 in there, which is probably the cause of the odd color.

That must be it. The color was definetely seemed a bit off.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Looks like it wanted to tear but luckily you ran it shorter than specified so that didn't happen.

The power of negative thinking....

That way, the facts don't get in the way of your beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back