Bosch or Mann Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK Bosch are now made by Purolator and are very similar to the Premium Plus (I know, old news). A good filter, but maybe the Mann would be a better choice.
twocents.gif

Bosch and Mann (&Hummel) jointly bought Purolator some time ago. I'd go with a Mann, Mahle or Hengst filter for the X5.

Quote:

Bosch and Mann (&Hummel) jointly bought Purolator some time ago. I'd go with a Mann, Mahle or Hengst filter for the X5.

Oops, O.K. It's hard to keep track of who is buying who.
grin.gif
Mann are still top notch though, right?
dunno.gif

If you maintain your engine, its a coin toss.

If you want to compare, run a fix mileage/time run on each of the above filters, grab a UOA with particle counts, and compare the filters. Stick with the same oil for the test.

Don't believe in rumour that one is better then the other. Rarely can anyone provide such proof.

But, I do believe that some filters don't fit as well, or just look poorly constructed. Avoid them!

Steve +1

We have tested air filters in an unscientific way on our flow bench, blowing air through ad volumes and rates seen by the engine with some standard contaminates purchased from a lab supply and compare paper blotters. I did not post any of the testing because we have had too many people take cheap shots at the testing. We know that these shots come from those that have never taken on such a project but they always appear to know what we have done wrong and how our results are flawed and imperfect. We do the testing for standby generators that have 50 to 150hp engines. We are looking at particle filtering ability first and flow rate second. In our case we can always design in a larger filter. In our testing treated paper out performs all the foam filters (no flames please) and the filters that have tested best have been AC-Delco. The other comment that is well taken from above it that the filter should fit correctly. Taking the trouble to seal the edges is well worth the effort. Changing the filter too often is a good habit.

For air filters ACDelco were the best by consistent margin. Others were about the same. I remember that Purolator were a good second place filter. There were no really bad ones. One we did not test was the Fram washable one. I have no idea if it works well or not. The filters like K&N just did not filter well and at the velocities we were running they did not flow enough better to make any difference. In our case we would just put a filter a tiny bit larger to make up any difference in flow. Another thing to note is the design of some of these foam air filter conversions that suck air from inside the engine compartment defeat themselves. Engines should have cool air from the outside to run on and if warm air is needed for cold start up it should be added but still leave access to cool outside air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back