Bosch filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know who is making the Bosch oil filters since Mann+Hummel took over with Purolator?

That's what happens when one company buys the rights to manufacture under license.

Bosch make their own filters in their own factory, Mann make their own filters in their own factory.

Neither are US companies, but US interests bought the right to slap the Mann & Bosch names on US produced filters. This is where the problem comes from.

Imagine if Colt, Levi, Coca Cola, Ford and other US manufacturers gave permission for some low-brow Chinese manufacturer to slap their brand names on poorly made junk - you'd have exactly the same undeserved quality perception issues.

Originally Posted By: Olas
That's what happens when one company buys the rights to manufacture under license.

Bosch make their own filters in their own factory, Mann make their own filters in their own factory.

Neither are US companies, but US interests bought the right to slap the Mann & Bosch names on US produced filters. This is where the problem comes from.

Imagine if Colt, Levi, Coca Cola, Ford and other US manufacturers gave permission for some low-brow Chinese manufacturer to slap their brand names on poorly made junk - you'd have exactly the same undeserved quality perception issues.

That's not exactly what happened in this case... Some years back Bosch, and Mann got together, each buying a 50% stake in Purolator. They then started making some Bosch and Mann filters in US purolator factories. Cut to about 2 years ago, Bosch pulled out of the joint venture, leaving Purolator wholely owned by Mann-Hummel.
But Purolator continues to have the contracts to make all 3 brands of filters.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

But Purolator continues to have the contracts to make all 3 brands of filters.

Exactly - Bosch don't make faulty/low quality filters, and neither do Mann. Everything that comes out of that Puro factory is junk, regardless of what label they put on the can or the box. They're made under license.

Mail order yourself a Mann and a Bosch made in Europe, and the same made in the US, then cut em open and compare. You'll be shocked, and you'll understand exactly what I mean about 'authentic' vs. 'fake' products.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Neither are US companies, but US interests bought the right to slap the Mann & Bosch names on US produced filters. This is where the problem comes from......

Quite inaccurate.

As Bosch was 50% owner of Purolator with Mann & Hummel since 2006, US interests bought nothing as regards Bosch filters made in the US. Up until the first quarter of last year Bosch as 50% owner of Purolator decided to have them made by Purolator. (Prior to that, the US made Bosch were made by Champ). So anything happening at Purolator was half on Bosch. In other word Bosch called the shots on the US made Bosch filter.

Since the first quarter of last year Mann & Hummel as sole owner of Purolator has called the shots. Anything now happening at Purolator is on M&H. The buck stops with them. And no one is forcing Bosch to have their US made filters made by Purolator. Apparently they are are content to support their former partner M&H, with Purolator continuing to make US made Bosch filters.

And I find your comparison to China manufacturing laughable.

But perhaps 'this' is what happens when two Euro based companies buy a US based manufacturing operation and don't improve the operation. And maybe even allow quality to fall under their ownership.

One thing is clear though, whatever is happening at Purolator now including the topic'd current US made Bosch, is now all on Mann&Hummel.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

But perhaps 'this' is what happens when two Euro based companies buy a US based manufacturing operation and don't improve the operation. And maybe even allow quality to fall under their ownership.

I thought the problems with Purolator were the result of a lack of focus during the transition under Mann/Hummel but worry that there may be some longer lasting effects.

I'm now concerned Purolator might be just a cash cow for Mann/Hummel with the value of the Purolator label not necessarily their primary focus.

Hopefully the US tax laws will change in the future and not encourage offshore management of US enterprises like Purolator.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: sayjac

I thought the problems with Purolator were the result of a lack of focus during the transition under Mann/Hummel but worry that there may be some longer lasting effects.

I'm now concerned Purolator might be just a cash cow for Mann/Hummel with the value of the Purolator label not necessarily their primary focus.

Hopefully the US tax laws will change in the future and not encourage offshore management of US enterprises like Purolator.

There is a member here (hasn't posted in a long time) that used to rail against the Bosch side of Purolator ownership for philosophic/ideological reasons. So much so he used to refer to them as 'Botch'. lol He was fairly consistently panned for his opinion here. But looking back and considering Purolator anecdotes posted here, perhaps in a round about way he wasn't so far off base.

Originally Posted By: OSUFan86
Anybody know who is making the Bosch oil filters since Mann+Hummel took over with Purolator?

Champ Labs.... I think..

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: OSUFan86

Champ Labs.... I think..

Bosch are Purolators, not Champ Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back