Bosch D3300: reuse or trash it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My M35 has had an average OCI of 5,077 miles since new using 5w-30 synthetic blends, mostly Conoco Phillips oils. The splash shield has about 19 10mm bolts to remove to access and change the oil filter, but I use a Fumoto valve where I only have to bend back a small flap to only drain the oil. That's EZPZ.

On the last OC I installed a Bosch D3300 filter made in 2017. It has cellulose media, not synthetic or blended media. Can I confidently use this filter for two 4,500 to 5,000 mile intervals (about 18 months) and save some time and labor, or should I trash it? I'm not sure if these old version Bosch Distance filters (the black ones) had any tear issues.

If it is a true blue Bosch Distance Plus D3300, it has synthetic blend media and possibly the heaviest can & baseplate available. Other than some incidents of non-deburred baseplates, there's been virtually no issues with the D+ filters, Now a regular black Bosch Premium 3300, I wouldn't risk those.

Originally Posted by Imp4
You'll hear from both sides on this on.
Ultimately the choice is up to you.

+1.

How clean is the motor? If it's dirty meaning partial sludge and or heavy varnish I would want a better filter (IMO Fram Ultra) to run for 2 OCI.

I bought several Bosch D+ when WM dropped the price by half a couple of years ago. I change them every other OCI and haven't had any issues.

I would run a full synthetic oil filter for two years under ideal conditions. I would change a synthetic blend annually. Again, it's a personal decision. Oil filter is the life of the motor, so to speak. Bosch Distance Plus are well made filters.

Perhaps you can write the pros/cons. Then decide your next course of action. Consider other full synthetic media for future OCI.

Good luck!

Let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
If it is a true blue Bosch Distance Plus D3300, it has synthetic blend media and possibly the heaviest can & baseplate available. Other than some incidents of non-deburred baseplates, there's been virtually no issues with the D+ filters, Now a regular black Bosch Premium 3300, I wouldn't risk those.

It's the discontinued Bosch Distance D3300, not the new Distance Plus.

I wouldn't since Bosch is made by a company known for tearing filters. If it was an Ultra that would be one thing.

The D+ is the only Puro made filter I trust, and would have no qualms using one for 10,000 miles. They are a sturdy filter.

That said, I am a change the filter when I change the oil type person, but none of my filters are a pain to get to.

There is no access shield for oil drain and oil filter on the splash shield? Seems dealers/oil shops would hate that (as well as owners). I would be tempted to cut my own access if it does not have one.

I would recommend using a Fram Ultra XG7317 or WIx XP 57356XP (Napa Platinum 47356) for long or multiple OCI's

I don't remember offhand what the Bosch size is for the longer version, maybe D3323?

Anyway, if you want to run it for a second OCI, do not take off the filter! Leave it on. Once you unscrew the filter, you must replace it!

You might want to take off the splash shield and never put it back on. Or maybe just not using all 19 bolts. It's a piece of plastic that isn;t heavy, so only putting on 3 or 4 of the bolts should be sufficient to hold it in place
45.gif

I ran 30,000 miles on a Motorcraft FL-1A in the mid 1990's (3X OCI's) on a Ford 400M in a F250 - it looked just fine when cut open.

Oil filter life is based more on just how grimy the engine is inside.... versus calendar time. Clean engines can go a very long time.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I would recommend using a Fram Ultra XG7317 or WIx XP 57356XP (Napa Platinum 47356) for long or multiple OCI's

I don't remember offhand what the Bosch size is for the longer version, maybe D3323?

Anyway, if you want to run it for a second OCI, do not take off the filter! Leave it on. Once you unscrew the filter, you must replace it!

You might want to take off the splash shield and never put it back on. Or maybe just not using all 19 bolts. It's a piece of plastic that isn;t heavy, so only putting on 3 or 4 of the bolts should be sufficient to hold it in place
45.gif

How have I ever got along without this for 59 years of oil changes?

Originally Posted by blupupher
The D+ is the only Puro made filter I trust, and would have no qualms using one for 10,000 miles. They are a sturdy filter.

That said, I am a change the filter when I change the oil type person, but none of my filters are a pain to get to.

There is no access shield for oil drain and oil filter on the splash shield? Seems dealers/oil shops would hate that (as well as owners). I would be tempted to cut my own access if it does not have one.

You're reading my mind. I just rounded up the hardware and fasteners in my garage to make a 6X6 inch cutout that can be removed with two screws. Hail to Rube Goldberg, wherever you are.

If your engine is clean (and it probably is, based on the information provided), you should be fine running that filter up to 10,000 miles. Bosch filters are high quality. Also, every filter has a safety margin built in, meaning that it won't suddenly stop working at the rated mileage.
If you're going to make a regular habit of changing the filter every other time, I would send in at least one sample for analysis at the end of the oil filter's life just to be sure you aren't risking anything.

Your situation calls for a high capacity filter. Assuming the engine is in good shape and been maintained regularly.
A royal purple or Mobil 1, puro boss, Napa platinum/wix xp or even one of those fram in a can ultra thingys. Any of those filters should work for 20k or so.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

It's the discontinued Bosch Distance D3300, not the new Distance Plus.

The D3300 IS the Bosch Distance Plus, seen here:
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/filters/distanceplus-oil-filters?partID=D3300
It is a synthetic blend media, extra capacity, extremely heavy baseplate and can. I can personally attest the can is stronger than an Ultra...
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back