Bosch D+ vs. M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these filters compare? I have always used M1 filters and been pleased with the results. However, it would be nice to get the filter at Walmart when I get the oil instead of stopping on the way home at the autoparts store to buy the filter.

From what I have found so far they same to compare rather well. I even found a UOA with some very impressive particle counts for D+. I take that with a grain of salt for all the reasons discussed when comparing filters using particle counts but its still nice to see good numbers.

Bosch and Mobil seem to use different tests regarding efficiency according to their websites... Do they? I'm willing to accept that I just don't know enough. The Bosch rates higher but again, they appear to be measured by different standards.

Anyways, does anyone have experiance with both? Favor one over the other?

While it might just be marketing, Bosch does directly state that it's designed for long change intervals. The Mobil 1 doesn't really make that a big selling point, which alludes to the fact that the Bosch may have been specifically designed for long OCIs. But then again, they can market it as anything or call it whatever they want.

Only way to tell is to run each on your particular car and see how they do. I'm betting that you will see no real difference short of running the car to a million mils.

I think they are both great filters, Bosch may be able to go 15,000 miles while Mobil 10,000 miles but theres no proof and as long as the oil is clean thats good. Most people on here wont go 10,000 miles on 1 oil change unless they are doing Amsoil so if you do less than that I guess either would be a good choice.

I guess it would be nice to know how many grams of dirt it can hold vs the M1 or other filters for the same vehicle.

I'm quire sure no one on BITOG has used more M1 filters than I have. With that said, if WM is your place to buy oil then go with the most expensive Fram. Frankly, IMO, oil filters have very little do with engine life as long as you change them every OC. Oil is more important plus a good air filter.

What's the surface area of the filtration element on each? That can sometimes give you a clue on how long the filter can go.

The Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and Fram Xtended Guard are all top-notch filters. Any of them will give great results. Buy whichever one you feel best about.

Personally, I like the D+ because of the neat packaging.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
The Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and Fram Xtended Guard are all top-notch filters. Any of them will give great results. Buy whichever one you feel best about.

+1. Any of these choices will work more than sufficiently. You can even go by what packaging or color filter you like best
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

+1. Any of these choices will work more than sufficiently. You can even go by what packaging or color filter you like best
grin.gif

You know what they would say if the Extended Guard was painted orange.

Thanks for the replies! I figured any quality filter would surely do a great job. But, where is the fun if you can't agonize over it a bit!? I was mostly concerned about any unknown gremlins with any of my choices.

Despite being an avid Mobil1 fan I think I may try a D+ at my next change. Seems it is at least comparable and the extra convenience is nice.

I change according to my OLM and do some severe driving so a quality oil and filter with a good performance reserve is important to me.

grin.gif

grin2.gif

Awesome! I have 4 Bosch D+ filters waiting to go on the Civic.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

grin.gif

grin2.gif

Awesome! I have 4 Bosch D+ filters waiting to go on the Civic.

Yeah, I just got a couple for my Ridgeline (buy one get one free at Pep Boys). Do like their packaging.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
imho the difference is going to be very very minute to give either or a favourable opinion over the other...

tell you what mate.. (having seen so many reports here) I think u can easily be able to pull 9-15K miles in a well maintain engine... using any of these filters!

M1 EP, Bosch D+, Napa Platinums, Amsoil Eao!

Just got two of the Bosch Distance Plus filters from Amazon. They had a rebate form for 5.00 on each, so brought price down to 5.49 each. Not bad. Will be the first time I have used them.

I have used M-1 filters several times. There is one on my truck now, and one waiting to go on in a few weeks. That said, I would not go out of my way to buy an M-1 filter: They are over priced for what you get. I would go out of my way to get a Pure-1, and to avoid a Fram orange can.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have used M-1 filters several times. There is one on my truck now, and one waiting to go on in a few weeks. That said, I would not go out of my way to buy an M-1 filter: They are over priced for what you get. I would go out of my way to get a Pure-1, and to avoid a Fram orange can.

paint the orange can yellow, and neither you, nor your engine will know the diff

I'd know the difference-the Distance Plus can is EXTREMELY thick, and the filter for my Dodge is the heaviest one I've weighed, even heavier than the Fleetguard. No worries about gravel bashing a hole in a D+!

Originally Posted By: dvldoc
I guess it would be nice to know how many grams of dirt it can hold vs the M1 or other filters for the same vehicle.

Their website says it can hold 29.1 grams of dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back