Bosch 3330 cut open Part II [no tears]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

Here is the first Bosch 3330 I cut @ 16k km's with tears: link

I was leery of a repeat failure, so I ran the following filter to ~7k km's. Filter ID is F06D07D2. The filter was fine, no tears and I'm happy with the result. Will run the next Bosch 3330 to recommend Sienna oil change interval of 8k km.

I wonder if exceeding a certain mileage is contributing to the tearing. My FL820S was brittle at 8700 miles.

How did the media feel compared to last time?

Nice looking filter. Still susceptible at the seam... they need to tightened up the pleats... all manufacturers do!

Water in cold oil is a filter media ripper. Is that a Pur-o-lator or the Champion Lab (delco/lee maxifilter) design ?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I wonder if exceeding a certain mileage is contributing to the tearing. My FL820S was brittle at 8700 miles.

After I posted pictures I went and had a look at the media. The media from my last Bosch 3330 @ 16k km's was weak and brittle but I attributed to higher mileage. This filter also had weak media that tore easily, and pushing on the pleats broke them.

Although happy with the result of an intact filter, I'm not happy with this fragile design. I suspect something is happening to media - too thin, bad lot etc?

Originally Posted By: webfors
Nice looking filter. Still susceptible at the seam... they need to tightened up the pleats... all manufacturers do!

The best filter I've had is the German made Mann W917. I've posted post-mortem pics here and they are very well constructed. But next one time I'll cut and take media thickness measurements and see how easily it tears.

Sure is some wavy pleats. Not sure how you guys can say it looks great. Brittle media and waviness is a tear waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Apollo14

After I posted pictures I went and had a look at the media. The media from my last Bosch 3330 @ 16k km's was weak and brittle but I attributed to higher mileage. This filter also had weak media that tore easily, and pushing on the pleats broke them.

Although happy with the result of an intact filter, I'm not happy with this fragile design. I suspect something is happening to media - too thin, bad lot etc?

Yes I am suspecting the media quality is contributing to the problems. Some have reported pliable media that didn't tear with pressure, some have had tears or brittle media that tore easily. I had brittle media that tore really easily on a FL820S with 8700 miles on it. Another user took theirs to 15000 miles and it looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back