Boron as an oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason for the question: A new 2014 Mustang 5.0 owner is concerned about an engine "tick" that seems to occur AFTER the first oil change. He had an analysis run on the oil that came with the engine and found an unusually high level of boron. Apparently the recommended MC 5w20 doesn't have this high a level of the stuff. I too am concerned since I have the 5.0 with the original oil and am leery of the first oil change effect.

Originally Posted By: OkieHick
Reason for the question: A new 2014 Mustang 5.0 owner is concerned about an engine "tick" that seems to occur AFTER the first oil change. He had an analysis run on the oil that came with the engine and found an unusually high level of boron. Apparently the recommended MC 5w20 doesn't have this high a level of the stuff. I too am concerned since I have the 5.0 with the original oil and am leery of the first oil change effect.

I have never heard of this problem and it doesn't make sense to me.

If there is an engine tick after the first oil change with the recommended MC 5W20, then the owner needs to take the vehicle back to the Ford dealer and complain about any new engine ticking.

Is there a TSB that recommends 5W30 instead of 5W20 in some models of Mustangs?

Motorcraft has a boron heavy additive pack by the way, around 200-250 ppm if I recall correctly.

But boron has nothing to do with the tick IMO.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: OkieHick

I have never heard of this problem and it doesn't make sense to me.

If there is an engine tick after the first oil change with the recommended MC 5W20, then the owner needs to take the vehicle back to the Ford dealer and complain about any new engine ticking.

Is there a TSB that recommends 5W30 instead of 5W20 in some models of Mustangs?

It's a "busy" issue on the allfordmustangs forum. The affected owners get responses from the dealers anywhere from it's "NORMAL" to an engine swap and everything in between. And you are correct! It makes no sense all things considered. Even the 5w20 vs. the 5w30 issue has been debated. There are no related TSBs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back