Bored With NASCAR? Try This

Status
Not open for further replies.
No "Safer Barrier". Rocks on one side, a cliff on the other. If he misses, he's dead. And no shifter paddles. His hand goes to the stick for every gear change. This is Alain Castellana, and he was 57 years old when this video was shot.

There are some rounds of the WRC on roads very similar to that (Corsican rally), but even twistier at times, on which crews (driver and co-driver) HAVE died from going over the side, despite them having had a very strong full FIA spec cage in the car.

Of course, Alain above IS carrying a bit more speed in that specialized hillclimb car than even the old Group B rally cars could muster.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

never watched nasgarbage + never will, watching grass grow is more exciting to me!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
never watched nasgarbage + never will, watching grass grow is more exciting to me!!!

I applaud the safety NASCAR has incorporated (safer cars, safer barriers) since Dale Sr.lost his life, and several others who are much less known.

I'm a big fan of good racing, unbelievable car control and all the strategies the Crew Chiefs and Engineers call on pit road that casual fans don't comprehend or appreciate.

I realize it's not intriguing for everyone, but the ones who get it....get it!

Originally Posted By: Dwane17

I'm a big fan of good racing, unbelievable car control and all the strategies the Crew Chiefs and Engineers call on pit road that casual fans don't comprehend or appreciate.

I get it, more than some. Once upon a time when my BIL had a 1/2 mile (paved) stock car I was the handling guy, decided air pressures, wedge, stagger, etc. What NASCAR has done to the racing, chasing younger fans who just aren't that interested with this contrived interrupted stage racing stuff has only alienated the old die-hards who want to see racing. I can't watch it. They can't gain new fans and are losing the base.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Dwane17

I get it, more than some. Once upon a time when my BIL had a 1/2 mile (paved) stock car I was the handling guy, decided air pressures, wedge, stagger, etc. What NASCAR has done to the racing, chasing younger fans who just aren't that interested with this contrived interrupted stage racing stuff has only alienated the old die-hards who want to see racing. I can't watch it. They can't gain new fans and are losing the base.

I wasn't sure at first but I've personally become a big fan of stage racing.

And as far as them chasing younger fans, I can't think of an industry that's not trying to grasp the attention of millennials.
What a complex bunch they are, and not loyal to anything.

Originally Posted By: Olas
My favourite form of spectator Motorsport has always been the WRC, some of my earliest memories are of watching Grp.B competition with my dad on thre weekends.

Scenes like the ones in this link make most other forms of racing seem to be too 'sanitised'
http://motormavens.com/rally-spectators-risk-their-lives/

Yes, the ability to play 'matador' with all out race cars as they scream past does add an element of thrill/'adventure' to a given form of motorsport.
But, the spectator deaths, and the crew fatalities as a result of the Group B era's 'almost anything goes' rules, and very lax crowd controls, nearly ended the sport of rallying.

The current WRC spec cars DO set some faster stage times on the identical stages run back in the Killer B days, given similar weather conditions, so technically, even though the sport is now a great deal 'safer' than the hard core dangerous "good old days", it is also faster, even with a bit more than HALF the AWHP.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
No "Safer Barrier". Rocks on one side, a cliff on the other. If he misses, he's dead. And no shifter paddles. His hand goes to the stick for every gear change. This is Alain Castellana, and he was 57 years old when this video was shot.

bump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back