Bored. Dropped ST 20w50 (1 qt) into the Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '98 Sienna is showing it's age - consumption around 1qt/1k mile lately. Been running a mix of 5w20 and 30wts (mostly 20). Also had 8oz of Moly EP oil treatment from Schaeffers in. Still had high consump. So I just topped off w/ 1 full qt Wally ST 20w50. It's fun thinking about the issue. It's hitting 104F here and the 1MZ-FE is known for sludge possibly from heat gradients (differences - ie hot spots) in the engine. Meanwhile, the thin oils cool better, but the thick oils handle heat better. I'm gonna give thick a nice run here - may even top off (if needed) with another ST 20w50 end of this summer.

i had 2 sienna's . A 98 and a 2000 . My in laws still have their 2004. Never a bit of sludge. imo the sludge problems are mostly a maintenance issue.yes the motor heats unevenly , but most of them are lasting 250000 with minimal care.
That last statement comes from a dealer service writer.
All three of our family's vans had initial 3-4000 oci's on bulk dealer dino and I was buying them from the family. When I got them at 50-60000, I was changing them over to full synthetic 5w30 and running them 10-15000 miles. Coastal and pp or whatever was cheapest.
The oils are so much better now I find it hard to sludge up a motor even with routine care.
A quart of 50wt in summer is not going to make any difference at all ,but you might reduce consumption a little especially if you use something more robust than st..

wow, Amsoil is on the ball even, they even got a warning on the page when you select this yr/make/model - regarding the sludge:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1998+TOYOTA+SIENNA VAN+2

But yea, 20W-50 seems a little too thick for me personally.....when you go that heavy, you're looking into possible "oil starvation" at the oil pump and thru the oil galleries, etc......

I'd shop around for some over the counter slow flushes......many options available......Marvel Mystery Oil at 20% concentration (basically, swap in the quart of MMO for one of the quarts of motor oil).....

Drive the vehicle 3000 miles, then change out the oil, and give it another run with the 1 quart of MMO......never going more than 3000 miles.

In my experience, the MMO will "burn off" over time......as it burns off, supplement the oil with cheap ST 5W-30......or [censored], even a cheap HDEO - like the ST 15W-40...but that 20W-50 is way too thick, IMHO...I'd use a high detergent 15W-40 diesel oil, before I used a cheap 20W-50 mineral oil.....

After 2-3 changes with the MMO in the oil, the engine should be pretty clean.....after that, if you still feel you need a 20W-50 oil, I'd personally look into the "HDEO" line of oils, most of them are API rated "SM" for passenger car usage....even though the auto parts counter-person will bash you all the way out the door for putting a "diesel oil" into a "gasoline car"....

Another option (if you don't like the MMO idea) you could mingle with the AutoRX, Kreen, Kroil, or whatnot....but I honestly thing the MMO is the best way to go at this point in time. MMO is also likely the cheapest way to go....and easiest, comes conviently packaged in a quart bottle, just dump it in, add your other 4 quarts of oil, and off you go
smile.gif

BUT, since you already have this 20W-50 in the engine, leave it in there......no sense wasting good oil and all; go get a bottle of Seafoam, and put about 7-8 oz. (err on the lesser amount), preferably using a funnel and a beaker of some sort.....pouring it out of the can directly into the engine can make a mess, and there are no measurement marks on the can.....so you kinda gotta "guestimate" basically by shaking the can, to figure out the "half full" mark. Then drive the car around as usual for 3-4k miles, and change out the oil.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
wow, Amsoil is on the ball even, they even got a warning on the page when you select this yr/make/model - regarding the sludge:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1998+TOYOTA+SIENNA VAN+2

But yea, 20W-50 seems a little too thick for me personally.....when you go that heavy, you're looking into possible "oil starvation" at the oil pump and thru the oil galleries, etc......

Too thick??? He added one quart to the 20/30 concoction already in the crankcase...

In the summer one could run straight 20W-50 and not have any issues at all(may even slow the consumption), wouldn't recommend it for temps under 50* though...

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Eric, you seem to think your engine is dirty/sludged. Did you try the Amsoil Engine Cleaner you wrote about in June?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...808#Post2298808

Bought this van w/ ~60k miles on it. Then put 80k miles on it using various M1 oils and ~8k OCIs. Toyota mechanic has been inside and says it's clean. But I suspect carbon on the rings. It's had consumption issues for many years, but not this bad. My post history on BITOG shows (since 2006 or 2007) that I've hit these rings with just about everything. Amsoil flushes followed by near 1 qt Neutra 131 for 1k miles. I've dropped in full qts of MMO and ran thru the winter months. No signs of leaks. Just consumption. No obvious smoke, though I have seen a bit on a couple of occassions when watching for it at start up (barely discernable though).

And yes, that's one qt of 20w50 on top of a 5w20/5w30 mix - so not too thick. But I plan to top off at least another half qt w/ 20w50 just to see how the consumption goes.

I trust Wally ST dino with the current specs. No sleeplessness there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back