Bore-tite / Redi-coat coatings on oil seal mounting surface.

I am going to be installing a National oil seal with Redi-coat on its outside where it is driven into the wheel hub. This is a red coating. Does oil have to be applied to this coating to aid in installation or should it be left dry? My concern is that oil might interfere with the sealing action of the Redi-coat.

Thanks. It says, on page XVIII that it is not necessary to lube the OD on metal seals. It does beg the question though, does the oil interfere with the Redi-coat. My best guess, based on that they do not expressly prohibit oiling, is "no".

Thanks. It says, on page XVIII that it is not necessary to lube the OD on metal seals. It does beg the question though, does the oil interfere with the Redi-coat. My best guess, based on that they do not expressly prohibit oiling, is "no".
In working in industrial maintenance I have installed a fair share of oil seals in gear boxes, truck hubs, forklifts etc, I have always used whatever lubricant the seal was holding back on the OD before I drove it in. Never had one leak that wasn’t my own fault.

Back