Booked Hotel Room with Hotels.com - Got there, No Room.

Are you a gambler, waiting until afternoon to secure that night's lodgings? The room you booked online was probably given to a walk-in as you were booking or shortly after.
IDK, I can see the point of hitting the road and seeing how far you'll go that day, securing a hotel when you're a couple hundred miles out and still somewhat flexible. The only "gambling" is assuming you'd get exactly what you want where you want-- I expect a reservation to be, just that, once made.

Are you a gambler, waiting until afternoon to secure that night's lodgings? The room you booked online was probably given to a walk-in as you were booking or shortly after.
Consider yourself lucky you didn't marry someone who change her mind constantly. I have changed reservation at 10:30am the day we are checking in because "we want to visit there instead of here!"

I don't travel much any more, but it was typical for me to not even consider renting a room until around dinner time for that night. I like to be flexible and see where I'm at when the time comes.

A decade ago when I did a lot of traveling internationally, I could find deeply discounted rooms that had not rented by the evening. I'm not sure if this is the modern practice but back then I think the hotels believed renting a room for 1/2 off was better than having it sit vacant. I saved a lot of money doing that, waiting until after dinner, and looking to see what was available.

Back