Boo. Advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the season's mostly over, but it really gets my goat that advertising is running football, even at the college level.

Used to be that at the end of the quarter, or during a time out or injury, the network would cut to a commercial. Now, it's backwards - the network schedules the commercials and the players are left standing around on the field picking their noses waiting for the "commercial break" to be over.

IMO it takes away from the flow of the game. The game should be primary, not the advertising.

I think it's starting to get the same in other sports as well.

Yes, I know advertising pays, and pays well.... and
27.gif
waiting for the "Man Yells at Cloud" picture....

I feel your pain. I'm not a huge sports fan. Yes I know, very un-American, not manly etc, but I do enjoy a good minor league hockey game.

Everything there is an advertisement. ABC ice, DEF, half time etc. Very annoying.

That's why I stopped watching. 20-30 seconds of action, 2 minutes of standing around. There is no reason for what amounts to a 60 minute game not including time outs should take 3 hours.

My wife and I hate ads on TV to the point there we cut the cable and only watch Netfix, Britbox and occasionally some You Tube (it does have ads, I know). It is so much nicer. When we are in a hotel and re-exposed to advertising, it is almost painful.

Originally Posted by JLTD
The game should be primary, not the advertising..

To quote my mother "Yes, and I think I should be Miss America!!"
Insert your own Old Man Yells At Cloud picture here...
cheers3.gif

FWIW with soccer, rugby, and AFL they usually don't have commercials during gameplay. When I watch cricket it is usually a quick commercial or two during the over change.

I don't watch football, but as another member has said, and i agree, Its all bread and circuses.

Last edited:
I DVR the games I want to see (LSU!!!), and then I watch them immediately after the game ends. I speed through all the commercials, and I can stop and replay anything I so desire. I can stop and take a break at my discretion anytime. I beat the advertising system!

TV has disrupted even more than commercials. When I started going to Michigan football games all games were at 1pm and only half the games were televised. Now the games can start 330pm or even 8pm!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
That's why I stopped watching. 20-30 seconds of action, 2 minutes of standing around. There is no reason for what amounts to a 60 minute game not including time outs should take 3 hours.

+1

I stopped watching for this reason, then all the idiots in the National Felon League made it even easier not to watch. Every single play is analyzed and picked apart and games take forever. I watched a high school football game around thanksgiving and was more entertained.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
FWIW with soccer, rugby, and AFL they usually don't have commercials during gameplay. When I watch cricket it is usually a quick commercial or two during the over change.

You must be a Brit. Nobody watches cricket.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I DVR the games I want to see (LSU!!!), and then I watch them immediately after the game ends. I speed through all the commercials, and I can stop and replay anything I so desire. I can stop and take a break at my discretion anytime. I beat the advertising system!

That's me too. I can watch a three hour game in under two hours. I turn on the DVR after the game's expected clock-time ending.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by gfh77665

That's me too. I can watch a three hour game in under two hours. I turn on the DVR after the game's expected clock-time ending.
^^^ This! I watch a lot of sports yet I haven't watched a live game in forever. No commercials, pregame fluff, challenged calls that take forever, etc.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

You must be a Brit. Nobody watches cricket.

Nope, born in Goleta, CA and lived here my whole life. I played a lot of cricket in high school with some Pakistani ex-pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back