Bonneville sighting

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Saw this today, gorgeous driver quality car. It's really straight despite the reflections. Guessing mid 60s? The only HUH? on my quick walk around were the Hankook tires. Not a huge Pontiac fan but it just looks good.
Bonneville.jpg

BonneInterior.jpg

A friend a few houses down from me when I was a kid had one with the 421 tri power...and for a big boat it moved....

I would like to know how many times those front doors needed to be aligned and/or adjusted to close properly.....all kinds of body flex on those barges......

Last edited:
Beautiful! Pontiacs were my favorite cars when I was a kid, and this was one of the reasons why.
Feast your eyes on those 8-lug big bolt pattern wheels.

Saw this today, gorgeous driver quality car. It's really straight despite the reflections. Guessing mid 60s? The only HUH? on my quick walk around were the Hankook tires. Not a huge Pontiac fan but it just looks good.
View attachment 104924
View attachment 104925
By the fender emblem its 64, 63 went down the fender and door. The 8 lug wheels ended in 68 and were used on more models like the GP (the 66 with skirts was my favorite)

By the fender emblem its 64, 63 went down the fender and door. The 8 lug wheels ended in 68 and were used on more models like the GP (the 66 with skirts was my favorite)
Spot on. That a 1964 Bonnie. 389 or 421.
They had the funny, wide stance windshield wipers until later.
The fender mirrors should be round, not rectangular.... I thought they came with only driver's side, maybe passenger side was optional?

Last edited:
I've never had an interest in '50-70's cars, but that is a beautiful ride. Is the third handle/crank on the door for the vent window?

The fender mounted mirrors are interesting, I wonder how well they worked in practice. Seems like you'd have a pretty small view of what's behind you.

GM sure had a knack for engineering and trying new things back in the days Sad that many of their ideas didn't survive the bean counters or basic economics.

I've never had an interest in '50-70's cars, but that is a beautiful ride. Is the third handle/crank on the door for the vent window?

The fender mounted mirrors are interesting, I wonder how well they worked in practice. Seems like you'd have a pretty small view of what's behind you.

GM sure had a knack for engineering and trying new things back in the days Sad that many of their ideas didn't survive the bean counters or basic economics.
Yes, vent window. The A bodies (Chevelle, Tempest, Holiday (Cutlass), Skylark, etc) got the window pulls.
The fender mirrors didn't do much for ya. You needed to twist around and look!

My first car in high school was a '64 Pontiac Parisienne hardtop coupe which had the same styling and interior as the car in the photo, and in the same navy blue with white roof color combo. Unfortunately the 327 engine burned oil badly (Canadian Pontiacs used Chevy drivetrains). The seller had the crankcase filled with STP or similar. My Dad had his mechanic go over the car and it needed front end work, brakes, etc. as well. So I sold the Pontiac after only a few weeks to a guy my Dad's age, who was going to restore it.

It has the under dash add on A/C.
Why would someone leave the windows down?
Around here with the windows up the interior will get well over 100, it was 86 out at the time with a breeze. Nothing to steal but a hat inside.
Beautiful piece of art. The proximity of that shopping cart gives me pause though. 😵‍💫
It was hooked over the curb and the slope of the lot is straight back so not much danger. The owner could have moved it.

I didn't nit pick it but it presented very well, good chrome, no wavy panels etc.

Those wheels had an integrated brake drum. That's why the 8 lugs are on the outer part of the rim, to clear the built in brakes. The fins helped cool the brakes

Absolutely gorgeous! Were fender mounted (or door mounted) mirrors optional? I've seen two examples of 64s at car shows with door mounted mirrors.

Back