Bonehead Move of the Day ($$$)

Just sharing so hopefully someone can learn from my mistake or at least can get a laugh out of my expensive mistake today. I am shortening the frame on my Mack that I am installing a dump bed on. I started the day running a Stihl gas saw(this is a double frame truck, 3/4-1” thick) and ran it out of gas. That was the last time it ran the entire day. Never picked up fuel again. I decided to switch over to my trusty 7” Dewalt grinder running a cut off wheel. My power source was my older Airco portable welder. Everything was going great and then the grinder slows down and starts smoking. I figure it finally gave up, 7 years of sharpening Bush hog blades and building pipe fence did it in. I drive an hour each way to the local tool store and pick out a brand new Milwaukee 7-9”, with some more wheels and a new cable for the dog it was $252. Drive an hour home to start cutting and let the smoke out of that one too. Check the voltage on the welder plug and it’s 192 volts. After a minute of head scratching I realized that I had the governor set to “weld” instead of “power”. Switched it and got 118 volts.

I intend to call the store tomorrow and explain what I did and see if they will swap it out. The Dewalt will likely go in for a rebuild, looks like a factory overhaul with warranty is $120 or so. I’ve spent close to $10k in this store in the last year so I think they will take care of me although they have no reason to.

Eh, don't sweat it. I jinxed myself this week. Never jinx yourself.

I did a plug job on a car, and it was a royal pain in the rear with the layout of hoses and wiring in the way. I moved onto my old truck with a big open engine bay, mostly clear of obstructions. I did the passenger side, and it was very simple. I commented to myself, "wow, this is simple." I thereby jinx myself. When I got to the driver's side, 3 coil packs were cracked and will need replacement at $50 each and the 4th one the coil pack separated leaving the boot on the plug. That took 30 minutes of fooling with it to get the boot off, and will probably also need replacing. So, an extra $200 for 4 coil packs. :(

Back