Bombardier SW48 snowcat

I am back to working on my snowcat going through things one by one. The alternator is seized but I will deal with that latter.

I have the carb on but the gas line is not connected. Throttle is held open a bit. I sprayed some stater fluid down the carb and tried to start it. Not even a pop.

I measured the voltage before and after the ballast resistor going to the coil and I am getting around 11v in and 3v or 4v out. That seems low but it's been awhile for points for me.

The second issue is I bought new wires for the Ford 300 cu in engine but the metal nubs on the distributor cap are small and the new wires are a very sloppy fit on the nubs. I have had the wires in a box for a year or two so cannot return. Maybe look up some Ford 300 cu in engines that takes the wires I bought and buy a distributor cap that is for the same year as my wires? Wires are Motorcraft 96100.

It's not like I can look up a certain year Ford vehicle and get the right part. Unsure what year SW48 it is and I believe it's an industrial version of the Ford 300 cu engine.

Last edited:
Disconnect the coil wire from the cap and see if you get any sparks from there to ground.

Does the engine rotate clockwise like a car engine, or reverse?

Last edited:
I remember these, or something similar, used as sidewalk plows when I was a kid.
They were always operated by a driver with an apparent blind spot for any pedestrians trying to use the sidewalk while they were plowing as it was generally up to you to get out of their way.
I used to walk home from school in fear, looking over my shoulder frequently, on snowy days. I wonder what would have happened to people who didn't get out of the way? Maybe that's why there were always kids on the sides of milk cartons in the '80s.

I remember these, or something similar, used as sidewalk plows when I was a kid.
They were always operated by a driver with an apparent blind spot for any pedestrians trying to use the sidewalk while they were plowing as it was generally up to you to get out of their way.
I used to walk home from school in fear, looking over my shoulder frequently, on snowy days. I wonder what would have happened to people who didn't get out of the way? Maybe that's why there were always kids on the sides of milk cartons in the '80s.
That's it.

So I looked through Rock Auto for Ford F250 with a 300 cu in engine. Up until 1976 the distributor caps had 6 holes for the spark plug wires to go into. Starting in 1977 the distributor cap had 6 metal nubs the spark plug wire fit into. They also had breaker points. 1978 same or similar cap but no more points.

Someone could have put in points in a distributor made for breaker-less. It looks like they changed the distributor cap when they went from points to breaker-less but this has points.

Last edited:
Back