Bombardier 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curoius if anyone here thought this was normal??... flew on one last Sunday from Spokane to Portland. Sat next to the right wing (window seat). Upon start up and for the first few minutes the floorboards had a vibration to the point the bottoms on my feet went numb. The vibration seemed to be in the entire area next to the wing. The vibration soon dissappeared when he taxied for the runway. I fly maybe once every five yrs so I wouldnt have a clue what is normal. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Those small regional jets are inherently noisier and less comfortable.

I fly weekly for work and I avoid regional jets. Terribly unsafe and way too claustrophobic/cramped.

I did wonder if the vibration was related to the close proximity of the props. As the speed increased there was less vibration until it completely disappered when powered up. I'm just not familar with aircraft so it was kind of freaky feeling the vbration through your feet. You would think something would be rubber mounted etc.

The Q400 isn't a jet, it's a turboprop...they all vibrate...this one to a much smaller degree than the -8 from which it was derived....

Originally Posted By: dparm
Those small regional jets are...............Terribly unsafe and way too claustrophobic/cramped.

Au contraire!

"Terribly unsafe" = any roadway or highway in America, including, but not limited to the Dan Ryan Expressway, I-90, I-94, I-55, I-57, the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway, and the Eisenhower Expressway.

Granted, the airlines are over-sellings seats and using smaller aircraft (regional jets) on shorter routes, but most knowledgeable folks would rather be in a regional jet seat (preferrably front left or right seat) than any seat in any car on the above roads!

RJs crash more often than majors...

But the flying public wanted cheaper tickets, so the airlines outsourced to commuters with less experienced pilots and less safety equipment...

I would not totally agree the move to RJs was based on the airlines reacting to what the public wanted. Since when? Given a choice between a 737NG or an Airbus 319 versus an RJ, I'll lay down good money most of the traveling public will vote for the aircraft with the engines under the wings.

I believe it was motivated by cost saving measures across the industry, to include downsizing the aircraft to match the route, i.e., no more flying 737s and 757s at 60% capacity.

Granted, the right-seaters may be recent Comair Flight Academy (or similar) graduates with 400 hours total time, but that aside, define "less safety equipment," Astro.

The flying public demanded cheaper, so, as you say, the RJs, and turbo props, are the cheaper, outsourced substitution.

They don't have the EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system), the PWS (predictive windshear radar, the Honeywell -4B), dual FMCs (in many cases), low visibility capability, including autoland, deicing on leading edges of the wing...

And the most important piece of safety equipment, the highly trained and experienced pilot. You want Sully? You want a former Navy fighter pilot with 30 years of flying, 10,000+ hours, combat experience and a degree in astrophysics? You'll find him at United, or Delta, or American.

On the RJs, you're often getting a kid who lives with their mom, has a few hundred hours of experience, and works a second job at Starbucks to make ends meet...

Don't believe me? Read up on the crash of Continental 3407 in Buffalo...a Q400 that was flown into icing in error (it's not certified for icing), by an inexperienced and fatigued crew, that reacted the wrong way to the conditions and responded incorrectly to warnings, causing the crash...safer than our highways? Sure, but safe as the majors? Not even close....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/flyingcheap/etc/croncolgan.html

I'm certainly not looking for a spitting contest here, but here goes:

Originally Posted By: Astro14
They don't have the EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system), the PWS (predictive windshear radar, the Honeywell -4B), dual FMCs (in many cases), low visibility capability, including autoland, deicing on leading edges of the wing...

I don't know of any RJ that has the above cited equipment. You're comparing apples to oranges. I want the 737Max or NG or the 787 every time I fly. But I've always gotten the CRJ200/700 everytime, whether its Cincy, Savannah, Charlotte, Reagan, or Dulles. That's not my choice; that's the airlines choice based on their bottom line.

And the most important piece of safety equipment, the highly trained and experienced pilot. You want Sully? You want a former Navy fighter pilot with 30 years of flying, 10,000+ hours, combat experience and a degree in astrophysics? You'll find him at United, or Delta, or American.

T'aint a lot of the "old military veterans" left as age 65 approaches. If you'd like, I'll dig out this past week's Wall Street Journal articles that cite the imminent shortage in the next three years of airline pilots throughout the industry, both at the regionals and the "majors."

On the RJs, you're often getting a kid who lives with their mom, has a few hundred hours of experience, and works a second job at Starbucks to make ends meet...

Now Astro, why is that? Seriously, sir? At a starting salary of roughly $24,000 per year (gross) and a student loan balance equal to the national debt of Peru just to pay off that four year aviation education and degree, it's no wonder they (as well as hundreds of thousands of non-pilots in their 20s) are living at home. It's known as reality.

Don't believe me? Read up on the crash of Continental 3407 in Buffalo...a Q400 that was flown into icing in error (it's not certified for icing), by an inexperienced and fatigued crew, that reacted the wrong way to the conditions and responded incorrectly to warnings, causing the crash...safer than our highways? Sure, but safe as the majors? Not even close....

Astro, as a long-time subscriber to AW&ST, Flying, and AOPA, I've read numerous articles on the Continental 3407 mishap. And as a private pilot, I've re-read them. But I will also direct you to innumerable reports on the Air France 447 disaster involving a "major" airline crew that "reacted the wrong way to the conditions and responded incorrectly to warnings, causing the crash.........."

Failing to recognize a stall is failing to recognize a stall, whether you are in a Cessna 152, Q400, or an Airbus 330.

I guess my point here is that I would much rather fly than drive, regardless of the airline or equipment.

By the way, dparm is driving an Audi S4, so no friggin' wonder he wants to be on the roadways!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all aviation enthusiasts, whether in the air, in the chair, or behind the wheel!

I know a woman that her husband flew the E-2C in the Navy and now flys a 737 for American Airlines. I would definitely pay more $$$ for my ticket to have a more experienced pilot in the cockpit 'turning the switches, pressing the buttons and moving the stick back n forth '.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
I'm certainly not looking for a spitting contest here, but here goes:

I don't know of any RJ that has the above cited equipment. You're comparing apples to oranges. I want the 737Max or NG or the 787 every time I fly. But I've always gotten the CRJ200/700 everytime, whether its Cincy, Savannah, Charlotte, Reagan, or Dulles. That's not my choice; that's the airlines choice based on their bottom line.

T'aint a lot of the "old military veterans" left as age 65 approaches. If you'd like, I'll dig out this past week's Wall Street Journal articles that cite the imminent shortage in the next three years of airline pilots throughout the industry, both at the regionals and the "majors."

Now Astro, why is that? Seriously, sir? At a starting salary of roughly $24,000 per year (gross) and a student loan balance equal to the national debt of Peru just to pay off that four year aviation education and degree, it's no wonder they (as well as hundreds of thousands of non-pilots in their 20s) are living at home. It's known as reality.

Astro, as a long-time subscriber to AW&ST, Flying, and AOPA, I've read numerous articles on the Continental 3407 mishap. And as a private pilot, I've re-read them. But I will also direct you to innumerable reports on the Air France 447 disaster involving a "major" airline crew that "reacted the wrong way to the conditions and responded incorrectly to warnings, causing the crash.........."

Failing to recognize a stall is failing to recognize a stall, whether you are in a Cessna 152, Q400, or an Airbus 330.

I guess my point here is that I would much rather fly than drive, regardless of the airline or equipment.

By the way, dparm is driving an Audi S4, so no friggin' wonder he wants to be on the roadways!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all aviation enthusiasts, whether in the air, in the chair, or behind the wheel!

The flying public demanded cheaper, so, as you say, the RJs, and turbo props, are the cheaper, outsourced substitution.

Regional aircraft are required to be equipped with EGPWS/ T2CAS. The Q400 the original poster flew on is equipped with a cutting edge FMS 3 years ago that the majors didn't have yet. It has HUD and is certified for cat 3a approaches. Don't know of any regional aircraft that have windshear, but it's more important on heavier aircraft anyway.

And not sure where you find that the Q400 is not certified for icing? Here's a couple of pages from the Q400 QRH on icing. Subject on first page: Take off in icing conditions.

Originally Posted By: ms21043

Regional aircraft are required to be equipped with EGPWS/ T2CAS. The Q400 the original poster flew on is equipped with a cutting edge FMS 3 years ago that the majors didn't have yet. It has HUD and is certified for cat 3a approaches. Don't know of any regional aircraft that have windshear, but it's more important on heavier aircraft anyway.

And not sure where you find that the Q400 is not certified for icing? Here's a couple of pages from the Q400 QRH on icing. Subject on first page: Take off in icing conditions.

First - the FO in that airplane has less than 1,000 hours, lived with her mom, had never flown in icing, worked at Starbuck's, and was fatigued from flying across the country the night before to commute to work.

DKRyan - You sound like you're taking issue, but then end up supporting nearly everything I said. Yes, RJ to airliner is apples to oranges, THAT's THE POINT...RJs are NOT the same as the majors whom they feed. The commuter airlines pay far, far less, have far less experienced crew. Why? To be able to keep costs down in smaller markets.

Despite what people say, "I would pay more for an experienced pilot" - airline marketing proves the opposite. People are very, very price conscious in buying tickets and generally will switch airlines for as little as $10. They view all pilots, all airplanes as the same.

And that's just not true.

Next - read through the accident and the Q400 certification more carefully, I did when they were published in AW&ST - the Q400 was subject to tailplane stall...and there are still questions on its suitability for icing. The QRH simply outlines procedures for encountering icing. Show me the limitations chapter that says it's approved....

Maybe the Q400 has an advanced FMS, but the CRJ-700 that I was riding on last night only had ONE FMC...again, my point, RJs lack much of the equipment of the major airlines. As the FAA mandates equipment, they get more, but right now, they don't have the same level. I've been in the back of several commuter planes and gone around/diverted when the weather was below CAT I. Again, RJs don't have all the equipment. TCAS is nice...but it's a minimum...there are no extras in RJs, not even redundant FMCs...

Clearly, they don't have PWS. And "it's more important on heavier aircraft anyway"?? What, RJs aren't subject to windshear? You're joking, right? You need excess power (like the bigger jets) to survive a windshear encounter...but more importantly, you need the good sense to avoid it.

Maybe that's why I watched an RJ (EMB-145) take off during a thunderstorm in Orlando. When United, Delta, Southwest, Northwest (pre merger) and American, those major airline pilots saw the rain shaft impacting the runway in a classic microburst scenario. EAch one in turn refused to accept a takeoff clearance while on the taxiway...each experienced, seasoned pilot examined the risk and refused.

But the RJ pilot said, in his eager young voice, "we can accept clearance"...and off he went...and just after rotation, in the early climb, as he hit the outflow of the rainshaft, his airplane dropped from about 200 feet to 100 feet. Luckily it didn't hit the ground. His airplane didn't have the specfic excess power of the 757s who refused to go, but he sure needed it.

What he needed more was the experience to refuse the clearance until the storm passed...or at the very least, a PWS radar that could do the analysis for him...but he lacked both, and nearly put his passengers into the ground at the departure end of the runway.

Ignorance is bliss.

Next - read through the accident and the Q400 certification more carefully, I did when they were published in AW&ST - the Q400 was subject to tailplane stall...and there are still questions on its suitability for icing. The QRH simply outlines procedures for encountering icing. Show me the limitations chapter that says it's approved....

And "it's more important on heavier aircraft anyway"?? What, RJs aren't subject to windshear? You're joking, right? You need excess power (like the bigger jets) to survive a windshear encounter...but more importantly, you need the good sense to avoid it.

I didn't see the AW&ST report on Colgan 3407, but I did look at the NTSB accident report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2010/aar1001.pdf

On page 15 paragraph 1.6- aircraft information it says: The airplane was certified for flight in icing
conditions according to the requirements of 14 CFR Part 25 Appendix C.

On tailplane stalls, if AW&ST says the Q400 is subject to them, the NTSB report page 38 paragraph 1.17.1.2 shows otherwise.

Not joking, my comment on heavier aircraft and wind shear alerting was alluding to inertia. A 500k pound airplane close to the ground and sinking with airspeed dropping off rapidly is not going to accelerate as quickly as a 50k pound airplane in the same situation, therefore early waring probably more critical for the heavy airplane.

Originally Posted By: ms21043

And "it's more important on heavier aircraft anyway"?? What, RJs aren't subject to windshear? You're joking, right? You need excess power (like the bigger jets) to survive a windshear encounter...but more importantly, you need the good sense to avoid it.

I didn't see the AW&ST report on Colgan 3407, but I did look at the NTSB accident report.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2010/aar1001.pdf

On page 15 paragraph 1.6- aircraft information it says: The airplane was certified for flight in icing
conditions according to the requirements of 14 CFR Part 25 Appendix C.

On tailplane stalls, if AW&ST says the Q400 is subject to them, the NTSB report page 38 paragraph 1.17.1.2 shows otherwise.

Not joking, my comment on heavier aircraft and wind shear alerting was alluding to inertia. A 500k pound airplane close to the ground and sinking with airspeed dropping off rapidly is not going to accelerate as quickly as a 50k pound airplane in the same situation, therefore early waring probably more critical for the heavy airplane.

You are completely mistaken about inertia. It is acted upon by the forces of lift, drag and thrust. Bigger plane means bigger numbers, not necessarily smaller results in the numerator of the final equation...consider...

That 747 also has a huge wing area, with very efficient flaps that allow lots of lift with low drag, it also has over 260,000# of thrust available. In TOGA thrust, at landing weight, fully configured, I have seen the 747 climb at nearly 4,000 FPM....With gear and landing flaps, it took over 25 degrees ANU to keep the speed down...Inertia? Sure, but better thrust to weight than the 50,000# plane, with less drag and better lift.

The key parameter in windshear survivability is specific excess power. It is generally quantified as F-factor in windshear discussion. (I am simplifying here to make the point, the aerodynamics are a bit more subtle, but this approximation works in this case). The severity of a windshear event is Fbar, the F-factor summed over the distance of the event. The larger the Fbar, the more severe the encounter.

The 757, for example, will greatly out accelerate most RJs, as well as airplanes like the DC-9 - because of its greater power to weight ratio, it is a more survivable airplane. It has better F-factor. RJs in general have poor F-factor, that's why they dont climb as fast as other jets. An example of good F-factor would be a Gulfstream....or the F-14...

The 30-60 seconds of warning that PWS provides is time to spool the engines and add energy that the non-equipped airplane does not have. A performance based alerting system (using Inertial data) would not have made a difference in several of the more significant windshear accidents. The radar would have allowed all of those to survive.

RJs crash more often than majors...

But the flying public wanted cheaper tickets, so the airlines outsourced to commuters with less experienced pilots and less safety equipment...

I don't know about the stats of how often an RJ goes down as oppose to a mainline airplane, but what time frame are you using? As an RJ driver, we fly 3-6 legs a day. These planes will do 8-9 legs a day, as oppose to a 737 which is probably half. So yes, the odds of an RJ that goes down are higher. Less experience? That's true but look at places like China airlines who has their pilots trained in the US and goes back to their country and are now flying 737 around. I use to instruct these students years ago. You don't see these planes goes sown left and right with pilots having a few hundreds hrs. so what's the problem. Less safety equipment? Mainline (Delta, United, US Air) are the ones paying for the lease and maintenance of these aircraft, so I doubt they are having MX cutting corners on the regionals.

I can't stand it when people look at an RJ driver and assume we are low time guys. Look at the pilots at Comair, Horizon or American Eagle. Most pilots at Comair (before they shut down) had 10 years or seniority. I use to share a crash pad with these guys.I've done everything from flight instructing, fly bank checks in some of the worst icing in the US. 6 years at the regionals. A good friend of mine just recently just got picked up by US Air with half of my experience. Just because he's at a Major flying an airplane twice the size of the RJ then what? Is he safe because he's at mainline? If you truly believe a pilot a regional is less safe look at Republic (a regional) who operate E-190, the same airplane at Jet Blue and US Air. These pilot pass the same type rating and same IOE requirement. A friend of mine (who's at Republic) has been flying the 170/190 for 5 years, is he less safe than a new hire a Jet Blue or US Air, because he's at a "regional". Lets say I get hired at United tomorrow does that make me more safe all of a sudden because I'm at mainline now?

And the most important piece of safety equipment, the highly trained and experienced pilot. You want Sully? You want a former Navy fighter pilot with 30 years of flying, 10,000+ hours, combat experience and a degree in astrophysics? You'll find him at United, or Delta,

, RJs lack much of the equipment of the major airlines. As the FAA mandates equipment, they get more, but right now, they don't have the same level. I've been in the back of several commuter planes and gone around/diverted when the weather was below CAT I. Again, RJs don't have all the equipment. TCAS is nice...but it's a minimum...there are no extras in RJs, not even redundant FMCs...

That's funny how you say how the RJ lack the equipment as the "Major airlines." It wasn't that long ago (4-5) years that half of the A concourse in Detroit was flooded with DC-9, and Delta still use a handful of them. Also why do you think the RJ's lack the equipment? It's because the "majors" are cheap. Northwest wanted the CRJ-200 that they ordered to not include any FMS, however bombardier wouldn't sell it that way. They didn't get the option of getting flaps 8, auto throttles and many other options, but we still fly people safely from Minneapolis to Watertown SD, with a snow covered, short runway that was plowed by John in his personal truck 2 days before we got there.

Don't worry about us having to divert next time when it's CAT I, since our RJ's are CAT II and we are qualify to do them. If you think someone with 10k hrs are only at the majors, think again since the top 1/3 of out pilot group probably have that experience or more. I just flew with an ex F-16 driver the other day as a matter of fact.

The regionals use to be a stepping stone to get to bigger and better thing, it's not like that anymore. Most of the senior Captains are making 100k a year with 18 days off a month flying an RJ. Why would they leave, most will not recouped the pay if they leave and start over at the majors.

Last edited:
Accident happens at every level. If you believe the majors are safer look at, the Northwest flight that over flew MSP, the delta 767 that landed on a Taxi way in ATL. Northwest DC-9 that went down after takeoff in DTW due to improper flap setting. The Northwest airbus landed at an AF base in SD. The Southwest 737 that parked the airplane in front of a White Castle in Chicago. US Air put a 737 in the water after TO in DCA. American Airbus that went down over Queens because of too much rudder input. I can go on an on.

USAir put a 737 in the water after takeoff in DCA? Don't remember that one. Did you mean Air Florida, or were you refering to the rudder trim problem/aborted takeoff at LGA?

Regarding the American flight that crashed in Queens: That vertical stabilizer came off - actually tore off because of 2 small rudder inputs due to wake turbulence. The FO moved the rudder pedals 1 inch in each direction, and that caused the vertical stabilizer to separate from the lugs holding it on. (Airbus was faulted on their rudder ratio system if I recall correctly.)

Who thought you couldn't make minor inputs at 200 kts. (below Vma) and have the vertical stabilizer tear off! (That's why I fly Boeings - built like a tank.)

You also said: "I can go on and on". Yes you could - but why would you? Maybe I read it wrong, but you seem to imply that you are immune from pilot error. That is one dangerous assumption. I understand your angst over some of the previous comments, but I think it serves no one to throw stones.

I would also agree that your job is tougher than mine when you consider how many legs you fly day in and day out in the weather, multiple landings, etc. If you consider most accidents happen during the takeoff and landing phases of flight, it only makes sense that aircraft doeing that many more times a day would be more susceptable to incidents/accidents. (As you know, the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport!)

As pilots, we are all in this together. We count on each other to make sure the system is safe for everyone. I agree with you, safety is first and foremost for every pilot, at every airline. We need to stand together regardless of where we work.

Fraternally,

757 Guy
MSP Delta Pilot

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 757guy

You also said: "I can go on and on". Yes you could - but why would you? Maybe I read it wrong, but you seem to imply that you are immune from pilot error. That is one dangerous assumption. I understand your angst over some of the previous comments, but I think it serves no one to throw stones.

I would also agree that your job is tougher than mine when you consider how many legs you fly day in and day out in the weather, multiple landings, etc. If you consider most accidents happen during the takeoff and landing phases of flight, it only makes sense that aircraft doeing that many more times a day would be more susceptable to incidents/accidents. (As you know, the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport!)

As pilots, we are all in this together. We count on each other to make sure the system is safe for everyone. I agree with you, safety is first and foremost for every pilot, at every airline. We need to stand together regardless of where we work.

Fraternally,

757 Guy
MSP Delta Pilot

You seem to understand what I was talking about. Except, I'm not immune to pilot error, like you might have observed. If you read the first sentence of my last post you will see that I said. "Accident happens at every level." It doesn't matter how much experience you have, what type of airplane you are flying. There's no point of me going on and on, and I don't want to about previous accidents. This is not a [censored] contest to show what type of pilots are better. For someone to say "Regionals are less safe" is being ignorant, they just read the paper and watch the news and believe what they tell them. Maybe if they ride on our jumpseat for a 4 day trip, they may change their mind. Also, I wasn't saying my job is harder, most people just don't understand what we have to deal with each day, they just assume, that we fly for lower pay and a smaller plane we must be unsafe. Some people wonder why we are so fatigue each day. Maybe it's the 5-6 leg days 3 plane swaps, reduce rest of 8 hrs and we have to start over again. It's part of the job, which I knew the terms and what I was dealing with before I got here. I wish things will change in the future for the regionals, and you guys take back all of scope (there was a big improvement from the last Delta contract, and I enjoy seeing the scope improvement) since I like to end up at mainline some day.

Now that I think about it, you're right, it was Air Florida, I remember it was DCA, and US Air came to mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back