Bomb injures oil exec's wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly there's only one group who can do the releasing, and the nature of that group is self evident.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A person working for an oil company does not mean that he/she commits any crime, why try to kill/maim him or his family ?

Many times this idea is taught in our public funded universities.

Really ?

Surely some of the curriculum materials must have leaked out and become available to the public over the years to prove this.

Got a link to some ?

I don't need a link to know that our universities are left-leaning. I've spoken to many young people who've told me that if they show a conservative bent their grades suffer. If they spout the liberal dogma of 'corporate greed, affirmative action, enviromental tyranny, etc'...their grades flourish. One of my daughters friends said it was common to see anti-Bush materials (signs , tee-shirts etc..) in her freshman year on campus. She said you would risk bodily harm if you wore the same thing regarding Obama today.

PS: At Columbia U in NYC the students wouldn't allow a conservative group to speak on campus....so much for DIVERSITY of viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A person working for an oil company does not mean that he/she commits any crime, why try to kill/maim him or his family ?

Many times this idea is taught in our public funded universities.

Really ?

Surely some of the curriculum materials must have leaked out and become available to the public over the years to prove this.

Got a link to some ?

I don't need a link to know that our universities are left-leaning.

The statement was that universities are using public money to "teach" particular things...prove that they are...

I'll wear that to a degree.

I've had some truly stunning conversations with people who either teach, or have arts degrees.

They can be nuts.

The statement was that universities are using public money to "teach" particular things...prove that they are...

Beside, Columbia U is a PRIVATE university. They can do whatever they want just like the more conservative university / college in the south.

I do not believe how a conservative leaning would help or hurt most of the courses that has nothing to do with politics at all (i.e. Math, Physics, Psychology, Chemistry, English, Engineering, Biology, etc). If someone claims that their grade suffer because they are not leaning to a certain political doctrine enough, well, that's because they are not good student to begin with and haven't been studying hard enough.

I have to agree however, that most professors don't like students who carry a different point of view (even in engineering) and make their life harder than necessary (i.e. asking a lot of "but what if" questions). This is a fact of life that even engineering students have to deal with. My entire class last semester has been trying to convince my never-work-a-day-of-real-job-in-life professor that his idea isn't realistic, and he would suffer a missed deadline if he forces that as his assignment. Sure enough, we didn't finish it because it can't be done in a semester, and he got demoted because of this....

I've spoken to many young people who've told me that if they show a conservative bent their grades suffer. If they spout the liberal dogma of 'corporate greed, affirmative action, enviromental tyranny, etc'...their grades flourish. One of my daughters friends said it was common to see anti-Bush materials (signs , tee-shirts etc..) in her freshman year on campus. She said you would risk bodily harm if you wore the same thing regarding Obama today.

PS: At Columbia U in NYC the students wouldn't allow a conservative group to speak on campus....so much for DIVERSITY of viewpoint.

Maybe it is because it is easier to make convincing arguments (rather than whether it is correctly or whether you believe in it or not) about corporate greeds and environmental impact, etc, because there are more points from acceptable references (i.e. pseudo science or what your pastor said in church aren't acceptable references, but published academic researches are). So it is much easier to get good grade building on those arguments.

However, in Economic classes I could not imagine it will be easier to make convincing arguments in reports or essays that is pro liberal policy. Everything in the Economic courses materials seems to be pro-capitalism. You seems to forget this point when you claims that the education system is left leaning.

Regarding to what you wear or anti-who, the same can be seen in the south wearing an anti-conservative shirt (Top gear episode anyone?) It has to do with geographic proximity to popular point of view, not because it is a SCHOOL and certainly not because of EDUCATION SYSTEM FAILURE.

PB: Columbia may be a private university but like most others it receives plenty of public funding.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2010/20100714164249.aspx

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/legislatures-may-act-on-columbia/63232

Economics classes may be pro capitalism. Science classes may be
politically neutral (except for the whole GW debate). Journalism, Law, Pschology, Sociology etc...are left-leaning. A poll a few years back showed that over 80% of journalists identified themselves as Democrats.

In this country, political parties make it their business to hijack the products of academia. The first place people hear about ideas like capitalism and global warming these days is from politicians. It's not surprising that certain academic disciplines seem politically charged.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
In this country, political parties make it their business to hijack the products of academia. The first place people hear about ideas like capitalism and global warming these days is from politicians. It's not surprising that certain academic disciplines seem politically charged.
wink.gif

When there's money involved, nothing is ever neutral.

My emphasis was more on "seem." In other words, if someone comes into science class thinking that global warming is a political issue, what are they going to think when they hear about it in class? If a teacher spends a lot of time on it, a student (or an outside observer) might think the teacher is some kind of eco-freak, when in reality they are just talking about current science.

Remember the Dover Area School District trial of 2005? People were complaining about biology teachers teaching evolution, saying they were being biased when all they were doing was teaching modern biology as it stands. The problem was simply that the objectors didn't understand science and thought that the theory of evolution was spurious, or else some kind of plot to destroy their religion. Obviously they were wrong, but one can see how they would feel that "intelligent design" was a similarly viable alternative that was being unfairly squashed.

This also goes back to your idea about intelligent discussion of a subject being associated with one political party or another. It's not because the politicians came up with the idea. It's because they hijacked it, and that is no reason to pass judgment on the idea itself.

What I'm trying to say is this: the fact that a teacher is teaching something doesn't mean they support the political party that is repeating (and usually distorting) the same ideas.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
When are people going to learn that killing someone is not going to prevent or stop the oil spill?

Was there any indication that this woman was married to a BP or Horizon official? It merely said a "Houston" oil exec.

Nasty stuff. I expect to see more of it in the future.

Quote:
Everything in the Economic courses materials seems to be pro-capitalism.

The vast majority of "economics" these days is based on the highly flawed Keynesian theory...which is far from capitalism.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
The vast majority of "economics" these days is based on the highly flawed Keynesian theory...which is far from capitalism.

Then what IS capitalism? and which brand do you believe in?

It's a shame they failed at keeping the default conditions from emerging as dominant. I guess they were not so well suited to survive and thrive.

It's a shame, really.

Well if the corporations keep raping the landscape and our pockets it will just get worse imho. People have had enough of ineffective governments pandering to the corporations. Was bombing a housewife right? No but a lot of people have had enough, and will do what they feel neccessary to affect change.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back