Bolt Carrier Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much does a decent AR-15 BCG run these days? A local shop has received a shipment of some new BCGs for $130 plus tax. I know 6 months ago, these things were just plain unavailable, and when you could find them, they were $250-$300. Has the price come down that much, or should I run out and pick one up while I have the chance?

I would be interested in who made them since there is a lot of junk out there. I see BCG's running from $130 to $189 from 1st tier companies like BCM, LMT & Daniel Defense.

I know BCGs were the one part holding back AR production during the "lean times." There are only a few companies that make them for everyone else, and they were running at full capacity according to the American Rifleman magazine a couple months ago.

That pricing seems about in line from what I have seen.

If you want to make sure you get a nice one make sure it has been MPI & HPT Tested, Shot Peened. Look for a black extractor spring insert and that the gas key has been properly staked.

Those items usually toss out CMMG, Stag, Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS and Olympic from the pool of decent BCG's

Currently, the top brand carriers are still going for $185 and up. The cheaper ones are in the $130 range.

Any carrier will usually be fine. It only takes 2 minutes to restake a bad job on a carrier key. The bolt is much more important and is where I put my money. I run BCM in my rifles currently but wouldn't buy a new BCM based on how expensive they are nowadays.

I use the Colt gold extractor springs with the black insert. Nothing better in my opinion and one of the most important parts to use when it comes to AR-15 reliability. I run them in all my rifles.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ext...y-prod4840.aspx

I can agree with bubbatime up to a point. If the gun is just for plinking at the range, almost any BCG will be fine but if there is any chance that you might want to use the rifle for serious work like home defense then the extra $50 bucks is worth it. IMO my life and my family's life worth an extra $50

As far as staking the gas key. It is one of the most simple things a company can do to ensure reliability. If they can't do it right while it was at the factory, what else did they cut corners on?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Currently, the top brand carriers are still going for $185 and up. The cheaper ones are in the $130 range.

Any carrier will usually be fine. It only takes 2 minutes to restake a bad job on a carrier key. The bolt is much more important and is where I put my money. I run BCM in my rifles currently but wouldn't buy a new BCM based on how expensive they are nowadays.

I use the Colt gold extractor springs with the black insert. Nothing better in my opinion and one of the most important parts to use when it comes to AR-15 reliability. I run them in all my rifles.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Agree with a lot...but it's hard to truly tell these days. Prior to obamination the majority of AR parts came from a few companies with CMT (parent of STAG) leading the pack. Top quality parts...the whole Bushy staking has nada to do with the part manufacturer but the assembler. And staking the key is like 2 seconds with a cold chisel.

Bravo is still one you can trust but pay the price. In your shoes, with this crazy market I would get a Bravo or LMT and be done or feel pretty good about a Rock River BCG as according to their LE sales reps they are still only getting these parts from CMT.

Originally Posted By: letsbuildasnowma
http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/inde...products_id=168

Blackthorne = bottom of the barrel. And $200.
eek.gif

Palmetto
$169. Still high but at least they try and include quality parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back