Boiler #2 Fuel Filter

Maybe a bit off topis but I was curious. Maybe I'm running out of filters to inspect, lol. This is a spin on oil filter cut open from my heating system. Standard #2 heating oil. This is my annual filter change. I probable used about 1000 gallons with this filter and the differential pressure gauge was not showing any restriction. Surprised to see this much sludge, will keep on doing the annual filter change.

That is not uncommon for home heating oil. For some reason it's never handled as carefully as diesel for vehicles or tractors.

Most home oil tanks have a 1" thick layer on the bottom of that stuff.

Sounds like 1x per year is your perfect interval.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
Maybe a bit off topis but I was curious. Maybe I'm running out of filters to inspect, lol. This is a spin on oil filter cut open from my heating system. Standard #2 heating oil. This is my annual filter change. I probable used about 1000 gallons with this filter and the differential pressure gauge was not showing any restriction. Surprised to see this much sludge, will keep on doing the annual filter change.

What did you replace the filter with? Brand I mean

I have an oil furnace but seldom use it anymore. It gets #2 diesel though. I use the felt type canister filter and change it ever couple years. Most of what I catch is rust from the tank.

Westwood or gar-ber (general filter)
spin ons are great. I believe they are 10 micron absolute and epoxy coated inside to prevent rust-through. They significantly reduce issues with nozzle plugging and will keep your burner running clean.

The only reason a lot of techs hate them is because they tend to stick if they've been on there for a long time. The best way to avoid that is to take a very very thin layer of copper anti seize on your finger and lightly coat the top of the rubber gasket before spinning it on.

Thanks so much for the copper anti seize tip. I always have to stab them with a screwdriver and wrestle them off. I will give this tip a try next time change it. Again than you!

Back