BOGO Castrol. Which to get? 2.8 audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using M1 0w40 on my 2001 2.8 v6.
Saw the BOGO at AAP and decided to go for Castrol the next few intervals.

From what i briefly read on the internet is that the edge 0w30 is AKA GC. Is that correct?

Other option was 5w-40. Both IIRC are VW 502 approved.

The car is driven short distances with lots of cold starts and occasional long drives in Texas. The temps do not go very low.

Last edited:
Check the bottle. It will say made in Germany for GC. Your already using the best oil on the planet,it would be going backwards switching,unless of course it's a really good deal.

Look for Castrol Edge OW-30,if it says made in Germany, then your good. My local pep boys sells it, and I've seen it at autozone too. Like the other poster said, it is a great oil, especially in Euro apps. If, for some reason you can't get it, then mobil1 0w40 would be a good alternative, if you have a NAPA close by, alot of times they have lubromoly available, and that is a good oil for euro apps. I have an Audi, and I follow a simple rule, euro oils for euro cars, american oils like QS or penzoil are fine for my chev, but syns in europe are quite different from U.S syns.

My Advance Auto sells the new Castrol 0W-40 (made in Belgium). Check the specs on the bottle of that stuff and see if it's VW 502.00. I'd like to hear from some users of this new product.

I might head up there and get some too. Their oil prices are too high but BOGO brings it back to a normal (Wal-Mart avg) price.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
My Advance Auto sells the new Castrol 0W-40 (made in Belgium). Check the specs on the bottle of that stuff and see if it's VW 502.00. I'd like to hear from some users of this new product.

It is literally just hitting the store shelves now, so I don't think you'll find any first hand experience with it yet:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2846492#Post2846492

BTW, officially the 0w-40 grade is not part of the BOGO, but people have been able to get the stores to honor it anyway.

Castrol 0w40 is VW 502 approved so long as the US version is the same as the UK version in this link. 0w40 shows up on the AAP website. But like Quattro Pete stated it does not come up as part of the BOGO free deal.

Last edited:
I called 2 AAP within 10 miles and NONE of them have 0w30 in stock.
they said none of the near by stores have it either.

My question is should i go for the 5w40? Or should i just buy 0w-40 M1 which is a bit more money and comes with a M1 filter which i do not need.

Castrol 5w40 for a cheaper price VS M1 0w40 which i have been using on my car but will need to pay $35 for 5 quarts which will include a Oil filter which i already have. Or get the castrol for $27 and get 6 quarts and no filter.

All these oils meet the spec so they'll work fine. Buy whatever's cheaper and readily available. The old 2.8 is not a very demanding engine anyway.

Oddly enough I was just thinking of ordering some Mobil turbo diesel 0/40 for my old Volvo TDI and comparing it with the different Castrol Edges.
One word of warning is that you should check the oil finder guides to see which exact oil is recommended for your engine, don't guess as some of them are for vehicles with DPF's and that means reduced Zinc etc.
Mobil 0/40 TD is listed for my car, BUT Castrol Edge 5/40 turbo diesel is not because it is an ACEA C3 rated oil (DPF) and Edge 0/40 is only A3/B4 (There is in fact a specific warning in my handbook that a 0/40 must be A4/B4). The only Edge approved is the normal 5/40 that is quite expensive in Germany.
Does anyone know if there is a VOA for Mobil 0/40 TD in this forum? I did look in the VOA section for a few pages back but did not find it.

Originally Posted By: skyship
don't guess as some of them are for vehicles with DPF's and that means reduced Zinc etc.

As was stated earlier, he needs an oil that meets VW 502.00 spec. All the oils mentioned here (M1 0w-40, GC, Syntec 5w-40) meet it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: skyship
Does anyone know if there is a VOA for Mobil 0/40 TD in this forum? I did look in the VOA section for a few pages back but did not find it.

We've talked about this before. M1 0w-40 TD is the exact same oil as M1 0w-40. The only difference is the label. Look at the physical properties:

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/EUXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_0W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_New_Life_0W-40.aspx

Thanks for that, as it does seem to have the same base stock mix. Unfotuntely very few oil companies list the exact Calcium content and even LM who are good at responding to e mails said that they could only give me figures for Zinc content and not Calcium due to intellectual property rights. If you like a nice clean diesel, which has long term wear implications the Calcium and Boron figures are of great interest. The TBN of the Mobil oils is the same, so it could well be they are identicle in Calcium terms.
I just played the Castrol clip about their new DPF rated Edge oil and it is total rubbish, just pure hype as they don't show any real world data or figures, but just say how much better than the leading competitor it is. I bet their tech lawyer has defined that as Halfrauds 10/40 dino blend and not a Mobil HC synthetic.

Ended up going with 0w-40 EDGE. I bought 24 Quarts so i should be well set for a while. I believe the production date was dated to 09.

The computer also resisted this oil as BOGO. Had the manager order 24 quarts for me. LOL

Originally Posted By: audia6
I believe the production date was dated to 09.

This oil was supposed to be brand new, so I doubt it. Unless Castrol imported some really old stock from Belgium and slapped new labels on it...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: audia6
I believe the production date was dated to 09.

This oil was supposed to be brand new, so I doubt it. Unless Castrol imported some really old stock from Belgium and slapped new labels on it...

Thats exactly what i thought. But on the bottom of the bottle it was 01/09 IIRC. I will double check tonight. My Old M1 bottle was a 01 date.

Last edited:
This is what a date code looks like. M11 means it was made in 2011.

8388874308_8c94202f2f_b.jpg

AHHH. OK i checked it and its made on the 3XX of 2012. Forgot the exact day it was made. My M1 was made in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back