Bodywork enhancement using black duct-tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single aperture of any size on the front end of this Mazda 6 was sealed with black duct-tape. There's even tape at the bottom of the license plate.

Why???

tape.jpg

Who knows? Back in the day I used to put cardboard in front of the rad to keep engines temps up in really cold weather. Maybe this dude is doing the same?

It's Decemberrrrr? Might do about the same thing on the Transit if can't find a cold front. Closing up the fronts make a big differance in how quick things warm up on the smaller engines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Who knows? Back in the day I used to put cardboard in front of the rad to keep engines temps up in really cold weather. Maybe this dude is doing the same?

Maybe. But cardboard is easy to remove. Isn't duct-tape an undesirably-permanent solution to a temporary problem?

Can you imagine the residue and damaged trim after he tries to remove tape that's been stuck there all winter?

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Maybe. But cardboard is easy to remove. Isn't duct-tape an undesirably-permanent solution to a temporary problem?

Can you imagine the residue and damaged trim after he tries to remove tape that's been stuck there all winter?

I doubt this guy cares. Old stuff it was easy to drop in the cardboard. Modern vehicle may be more difficult due to design.

Total PIA to get a piece of cardboard in front of radiator without taking off the front bumper and cowlings:(
If the tape was added after decent wax on before not a big issue. A soak with mineral spirts and most adhesive will come off pretty easy.

Last edited:
Ever try get a car to warm up with temps so cold propane won't gas? Minus 12F here this AM and worse coming. Went fishing in northern MN by Canadian border and was so cold the propane furnaces quit and had to use wood stoves.

I drove for an hour and still not comfortable even with the temp gauge indicating warm. Shoved a couple garbage bags in front of the Transit and things improved greatly. Aluminum blocks can suck out alot of heat if there is air moving by. Rather be ugly and warm.

I did that one time, I was Bored/wanted to make an attempt at hyper-mileing. taped over every crack save for the drivers door. of course I used Blue painters tape.
looked rather stupid driving to the airport, and sitting in longterm for a week, but, eh...
maybe eeked out a couple extra mpgs..

sometimes you just need to find a way to amuse yourself/keep yourself busy.

once I did do it with duct tape, trying the nascar front downforce trick. took the already peeling clear off.
ended up having to have the bumper replaced later anyway... so whateves...

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Haha he probably thinks the "blacked out" look is SWEET compared to having a random piece of cardboard
laugh.gif
He's trying to have form AND function :p

until this car, i've always been able to find Duck Tape that more or less was a match to the paint color.
I would normally keep this roll in the trunk, for any emergency roadside "bodywork"...

hit something and its loose?
to warm up faster?
to protect against rocks?
To see via pictures taken at a distance if they wanted to commit to blackout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back