Body Shop guys, what should I expect to pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
to have a hood and front bumper cover sanded/primed/painted on my '98 Stang from an independent shop? Bumper cover has a rub scuff to the primer and the hood has some clear coat damage.

I would roughly guess about $1500ish. But body shop work here is expensive for multiple reasons. Like we get charged about $150-200 to get a mirror cover painted.

Originally Posted by atikovi
strip hood $100
prime and paint $250
repair bumper $50
prime and paint $200
paint and materials $150

Total $750

You're smoking crack! Tell me where this is standard because I have a lot of knicks and scrapes I'd love to have taken care of.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
They'll need to blend that paint into the doors.

Hood and bumper not anywhere adjacent to doors.

Maybe he meant front qrt/fender panels, either way same difference. It'll need to be blended otherwise it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb. The bumper and hood will match but the quarter panels won't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
strip hood $100
prime and paint $250
repair bumper $50
prime and paint $200
paint and materials $150

Total $750

You're smoking crack! Tell me where this is standard because I have a lot of knicks and scrapes I'd love to have taken care of.

Around $40/hr for body and paint labor at wholesale body shops I go to.

just spray some clear coat on it
27.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
They'll need to blend that paint into the doors.

Hood and bumper not anywhere adjacent to doors.

Maybe he meant front qrt/fender panels, either way same difference. It'll need to be blended otherwise it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb. The bumper and hood will match but the quarter panels won't.

I did mispeak, fenders. But They may still go into the doors to get it looking perfect. Totally depends on the color.

Looks like I'll be buying a new pre-painted bumper cover online then. Good grief. I paid $3k for the car. And it's a GT, so no V6. Guess I'll look for a home side-jobber to do the hood.

I called around to get a quote on repainting the hood on a family member's 05' Tahoe last week. Just shy of $1k. If we added in the roof it would have been just shy of $2k.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I called around to get a quote on repainting the hood on a family member's 05' Tahoe last week. Just shy of $1k.

Mitchell's cost guide says 3.1 hours to paint.
Add 40% for clearcoat so that's 4.4 hours or about $250 labor.
Paint and materials add maybe $150. So that's $400 total.
Is the clearcoat peeling so it need to be stripped? Add another $100 labor. How do they get to $1K?

I called around to get a quote on repainting the hood on a family member's 05' Tahoe last week. Just shy of $1k.

Is the clearcoat peeling so it need to be stripped? Add another $100 labor. How do they get to $1K?

Here's the quote

[Linked Image]

Here's the quote

[Linked Image]

Unless my math is wrong, the hood itself is $558 + tax on that estimate which is spot on with my estimate for a retail job that didn't include removing the hood. Why would they remove the hood?

Might be the same (or less?) cost if you bought a replacement hood and bumper cover and had them painted. May be less prep time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back