Boat trailer - torsion axle vs leaf springs

I am looking at a new boat trailer, tandem axle with a 9000 lb load capacity. I am told torsion axles are not very forgiving and break easier than a normal axle with leaf springs. I have only had leaf springs in boat trailers. Was also told if you break one torsion axle you need to replace them all to get them aligned properly.

Anyone have knowledge of boat trailers with torsion axles?

Many new ways of doings things are done to save money vs a better product.

The article below seems to lean toward leaf springs for heavy or multiple axle trailers.

Last edited:
I'd use a torsion axle in a snowmobile trailer or something light with a single axle. Maybe even a light teardrop camper that needs the clearance. I don't like how they won't equalize in tandem. That means if your tow vehicle is too high or too low, you're going to be loading one set of tires, bearings, etc a lot more than the other set.

We need
I'd use a torsion axle in a snowmobile trailer or something light with a single axle. Maybe even a light teardrop camper that needs the clearance. I don't like how they won't equalize in tandem. That means if your tow vehicle is too high or too low, you're going to be loading one set of tires, bearings, etc a lot more than the other set.

If you go over a speed bump or pothole with tandem torsion axle for a moment one axle will be holding all the weight. Not true with leaf springs.

Back