BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES TR 0.2

WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 420 360

SUS VIS 210ºF 68.8 69.6

cSt @ 212ºF 12.63 12.84

TBN 4.6 1.8

Blackstone Comments:

The engine liked the Mobil 1 just fine. In fact, almost all of the wear metals are little lower this time, though the shorter oil

run probably didn't hurt in that regard. We don't generally see much difference in wear between the various types of oil,

so either the Mobil 1 or BMW brand oil should work fine. Or try something else if you're curious. There's no fuel this time

around and the viscosity is in the correct range for 0W/40. Air and oil filtration are excellent. The TBN is 4.6, showing

active additive left. Try 9,000 miles on the oil again.

thoughts??

april - august 2014

driving is 50/50 highway and city. wife's car - approx. 25 miles a day with a few long trips (5-6+ hrs) thrown in. She is not aggressive in her driving and goes speed limit

You could clearly have gone longer, how far depends on what condemnation points you think make sense.

What distance does the vehicle allow you to go between oil changes? Clearly time is not a factor for this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I'm thinking your engine likes 0W-40 better than 5W-30.

Not necessarily. The wear metal differences cannot be taken to be conclusive as the numbers are small enough themselves to be noise. The 0w40 appears to have thinned out more and it had a starting TBN of 11.8.

I calculate he'd have virtually the same mileage if he let his TBN get to the same that the BMW 5w30 got to.

And he topped up more in less miles.

This UOA tells us nothing about which oil is better. I still say the OP should keep using the 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Not necessarily. The wear metal differences cannot be taken to be conclusive as the numbers are small enough themselves to be noise. The 0w40 appears to have thinned out more and it had a starting TBN of 11.8.

I calculate he'd have virtually the same mileage if he let his TBN get to the same that the BMW 5w30 got to.

And he topped up more in less miles.

Not sure what point you're making but how did you figure his engine liked M1 better?

Maybe because it consumed more!

Oh, brother! You're ridiculous. The point is that neither of us can tell which oil is better from this UOA. The OP asked for thoughts. I think M1 0W-40 is one of the world's best oils and this UOA not withstanding, is well-suited for his vehicle.

As for the consumption, at less than 1 quart in each grade, he really didn't have to add oil at all and a 1/4 quart is statistical noise.

I use M1 exclusively but will change from grade to grade and products (eg. go from vanilla M1 5W-30 to EP). I ALWAYS experience a little consumption. After topping off, everything returns to normal.

Not sure what point you're making but how did you figure his engine liked M1 better?

Maybe because it consumed more!

If neither of us can tell anything from this UOA, why did you say this?

Don't forget, you were responding to the OP asking for thoughts on his UOA and you specifically refer to his engine.

Geez! I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you. The OP asked for, "thoughts". I think M1 0W-40 is an outstanding oil. If it were my car, that is the oil I would use. That is the oil I recommend the OP use. It doesn't matter what the UOA says nor does the trace amount of make-up oil added.

If neither of us can tell anything from this UOA, why did you say this?

Don't forget, you were responding to the OP asking for thoughts on his UOA and you specifically refer to his engine.

lots of WM's around here and I have the M1 rebate form (gotta pick some 0W40 this wknd).. . . may even try to use some of the 42 qts of Napa Syn 5W30 I got earlier this year for approx. $1.45 qt!

thanks for the reviews. I just started changing the oil on this car b/c the dealer wanted $110 or so and had a [censored] attitude when I asked to change it before 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
lots of WM's around here and I have the M1 rebate form (gotta pick some 0W40 this wknd).. . . may even try to use some of the 42 qts of Napa Syn 5W30 I got earlier this year for approx. $1.45 qt!

thanks for the reviews. I just started changing the oil on this car b/c the dealer wanted $110 or so and had a [censored] attitude when I asked to change it before 7500 miles.

I don't think the NAPA oil is LL-01 approved, so I would not use it in your Bimmer, even if you are out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
true, but I never go more than 7,000 miles between changes on this one. . .

If it is not a euro 5w-30, it is much thinner than the BMW 5w-30 and the M1 0w-40, both of which have an HTHS >=3.5cP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back