BMW X3 and Valvoline Synpower 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never posted in this forum as I'm a diesel guy so bear with me... My wife's BMW X3 is out of warranty (53,000 miles) so I have been doing oil changes as of late. I'm using Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 and ran it for 6000 miles before this change. I know it's a pretty good oil but can I go longer next OCI? I did some searching here but couldn't find too much info on the little 2.5L straight six. Any opinions appreciated. And any other info about things I should look out for with this little Bimmer would help as well.
Thanks

I would say with that straight six you could because it would be easy on oil but not familiar with that engine so hopefully others chime in but with a UOA's you may.

I'm not familiar with the BMW straight six but a lot of other Syn-power users on the board have gone as high as 7500 on the oil.

trik396, a quick question about the BM'r.

We're looking at one for my wife. How do you like yours?

she's in love with them, I like BMW's as well, I'm just hoping it'll be reliable.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
5w-30 SAE Synpower is one of the BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/section/e83/

According to the car computer, my OCI is about 15,000 miles, but I do 7500.

I don't think that's the TYPICALLY found North American version of 5W-30 Synpower. Also, whoever wrote that said: "Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher." That's funny because the Syntec 0W-30 mentioned by same author(s) meets API SL but not SM or higher.

OP, the engine is supposed to use BMW LL-01 oil. Mobil 1 0W-40 and GC 0W-30 are the most readily available over-the-counter oils meeting that spec. The Synpower 5W-30 you are using is too "thin" to meet BMW LL-01 which requires a HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP or higher.

Correct, wrong oil for the engine, it doesn't meet ACEA A3,B3 and LL01), to thin and HTHS is to low. There is a special version of Synpower 5W30 that meets spec but it's rarer than rocking-horse-poop. Just look for any oil with 'meets ACEA A3 and LL01 on the bottle/jug. M1 0W40 is probably the most commom.

Well that's not good to know since I've been using this oil for about 12,000 miles total (2 changes). Guess I have to pull the oil and replace... or do you think I could pull a few quarts and replace with something thicker??? Maybe some of my 15w-40 PremBlueExtreme or Schaeffers9000?

Ryan, we like the X3. It has been very reliable. No problems to date. It rides a little stiffer than most BMW's but that's because it's an 04' model and the newer ones have different tuned suspensions from what I've read.

It's not cause for dumping the oil or busting your butt draining off a few quarts IF it's early the OCI. But if you have a convenient way to get some of the oil out, like with a pump, I would do that and add Schaeffers 9000.

Another option is if there is already at least 3/4 quart of room available in the sump, you could add some Synpower 20W-50. That might be enough to make a worthwhile viscosity difference.

That's what I'll do.... anyone care to give me the math on how much I'd need to pull out and replace inorder to get required viscosity??

Is there a calculator for something like this?

I don't think Synpower 5w30 will hurt a thing, even if it isn't a BMW approved oil. If the engine were run at or near redline all the time, that would be a different story, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I say leave it in for the entire OCI, and then consider using a BMW approved oil from there on.

I'd try to find some Synpower 5W-40 and just top-off with that. Easier to find that the 'Euro' 5W-30 Synpower.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
If the engine were run at or near redline all the time, that would be a different story, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I say leave it in for the entire OCI, and then consider using a BMW approved oil from there on.

+1

thanks guys... think I'll leave it... maybe pull a sample after 5000 miles and send her in just to see.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I don't think Synpower 5w30 will hurt a thing, even if it isn't a BMW approved oil. If the engine were run at or near redline all the time, that would be a different story, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I say leave it in for the entire OCI, and then consider using a BMW approved oil from there on.

I doubt running it at redline would make any difference, running the 15,000 mile OCI is another story though.

Why not just shorten the recommended OCI when using an ILSAC oil?

Originally Posted By: Trajan
5w-30 SAE Synpower is one of the BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/section/e83/

According to the car computer, my OCI is about 15,000 miles, but I do 7500.

No, you're wrong again and so is your BMW Forum.

I personally discovered the ~error~ on the Approved Oils List for AoA which mistakenly included SynPower 5w-30 and confirmed it with a Valvoline rep, YEARS AGO.

lol, for someone who beats the durm so loudly for oem spec oils, you really don't seem to know much about them.

MY dear boy, I found out not that long ago that the oil mention above is not the same as the one that should be used. Look at the first page son. And yeah, sure, you confirmed it with a rep....

But then again, I don't confuse Castrol with Rotella.

Find any test dummies yet to do your work that you refuse to do?

Last edited:
I must also commend you for not only not telling the OP to use conv 10w-40, but also for not tearing into sprintman for using your bugaboo LL01. Or anyone else in this thread for suggesting the use of a BMW approved oil. Perhaps a new dawn is breaking.

And I didn't say it before, but thanks for the correction sprint
thumbsup2.gif

Perhaps, AJ, you can convince the OP to be your guinea pig and run conv 10w-40? Even if there is none that is BMW approved.

Out.

Last edited:
I've been running 0W-40 M1 in my wife's X3 with good results. Note that I do change the oil at 7.5K-8K miles. After 78K the truck has proven to be extremely reliable. I'd also suggest changing the ATF every 50K-60K if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back