BMW Talk

I’ve owned 12 BMWs and I believe that maintaining them properly with OEM quality parts, lubricants, and fluids is absolutely critical. I stick with the I4 and I6 motors and avoid xDrive cars(except for my wife’s X1- she wanted an AWD CUV). The cooling system on my Club Sport has only required a thermostat and one plastic fitting for a heater hose. It required a VC gasket at 25 years and it will eventually need a front main seal, but I’ll likely get around to it in another year or so.
That said, the key takeaway is that BMWs don’t tolerate neglect or cutting corners when it comes to service.
My only gripe is that the cars are getting too big and heavy. When I replace the 2 Series the only BMW I’m considering is an M2C. Other contenders are a Supra 3.0 and a 400Z(assuming the inevitable ADM frenzy dies down in a year or so).
Don't get a new Supra. Wait for the new G87 M2 which will have the same chassis as the Supra, but with a much better motor, actually current electronics (not 2 generations old) and a real manual. And when you take it to the dealer to get something fixed, you have a hope in hell of the shop being able to fix it. LOL! I feel sorry for the Toyota techs trying to use ISTA for the first time.

Last edited:
My only gripe is that the cars are getting too big and heavy.
That's true across several manufacturers, more safety requirements and options, like multiple airbags, side impact protection etc just means the cars have been packing on weight over the years. Like most Americans. And they want them that way, the bigger car wins in an accident.

I know some people who’ve somehow had very good luck with BMWs. But then I know a lot of people who have nothing but issues, including myself. 3 BMWs all of them had some sort of pending catastrophic failure. I’ve had a handful of BMWs come through the shop with nothing but issues. Mostly V8s, some turbo I6, and a few turbo I4. By far the most reliable ones are the NA 3.0 I6, but that’s not saying much because they still blow up.

it has nothing to do with maintenance either. My friend barely maintains his 2013 328 coupe and he’s pushing 110k with no issues since he got at 30k.

We've had a bunch of BMW's. Have two Bimmers and two Beemers currently.

The oldest is a '10 E63 M6 W/6-speed manual. The internet has been calling it and it's S85 engine a ticking timebomb for years. So far so good...

The X6 M Competition is ridiculously quick, and handles amazingly well, for a 5k+lb brick. Still too new to gauge reliability.

The '15 S1000RR and '20 S1000RR M, have both been great.

We've had a bunch of BMW's. Have two Bimmers and two Beemers currently.

The oldest is a '10 E63 M6 W/6-speed manual. The internet has been calling it and it's S85 engine a ticking timebomb for years. So far so good...

The X6 M Competition is ridiculously quick, and handles amazingly well, for a 5k+lb brick. Still too new to gauge reliability.

The '15 S1000RR and '20 S1000RR M, have both been great.
A good friend of mine is a Service Advisor at the dealer where I used to work. He’s not afraid to name the engines and or series that are particularly troublesome but he maintains that the claims of bearing wear on the S54 and S85(among others) are considerably overblown. As always, YMMV.
And I do have to admit that I remain partial to Triumph motorcycles.

When accelerating hard in your BMW M2 Comp, don’t go from redline in 3rd to second.

15B5167A-6CBC-44B8-9271-27589E7CE5FB.jpeg

43E55D65-6030-415D-BBDE-D58FD631CF8D.jpeg

025574DC-4AEF-400B-9BAE-0BC41A5EE062.jpeg

I have owned 3, my sons sells loads of them. the one I remember well, not mine was a 12 cylinder 850, also black, we took it to a detailer who wet sanded the paint !! sold thru E-BAY to a guy who had Never owned a BMW, those 12 cylinders made it fast !!

Back