cal 2019
phos 1321
zinc 1674
bar 0
cst. @100c 17.7
flas 425
fuel bmw 20w50 super
2004 BMWR1150RT

where did you get a lead of 5 from in californy?

very low aluminum
low iron
low copper
low tin but should be 0
low nickel but should be 0
almost no silicon

still a very nice 50wt
high flash
no fuel

you claim 6500 miles, but looks more like 0
impressive except for 1qt makeup.
how much does it hold?

Last edited:
the 1150 eng. holds 4qts.
went over the max mileage change. malcom smith motorcycles did the 6k service.
i did the change myself at 14400.0
put in motul 5100 15w50
chevron tectron 91 used ;and chevron 'fuel sys cleaner'
was added,now & then,@ 1oz.per gal.

Last edited:
It's very common for BMW boxer engines to use oil for awhile. Because of the silicon carbide lined cylinders and the hard chrome rings, they take quite awhile to wear in. Mine used some oil up to around 18,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: mshuell
It's very common for BMW boxer engines to use oil for awhile. Because of the silicon carbide lined cylinders and the hard chrome rings, they take quite awhile to wear in. Mine used some oil up to around 18,000 miles.

+1

New boxers will use oil for the first 10,000 to 20,000 miles until the rings fully seat to the nicasil bore lining. My '07 GS drank oil like a sailor on shore leave drinks beer until around the 12,000 mark. Not a drop since then and now approaching 18,000.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: mshuell

+1

New boxers will use oil for the first 10,000 to 20,000 miles until the rings fully seat to the nicasil bore lining. My '07 GS drank oil like a sailor on shore leave drinks beer until around the 12,000 mark. Not a drop since then and now approaching 18,000.

My R1150RT used oil until 25k. That was the mileage until that fun trip out west. Running a couple tanks at WFO and ever since the oil consumption dropped to zero. It has 80k now, and still doesn't use a drop between 6k changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.
This looks like a fantastic oil. Very low wear, in grade, good flash good additives cal 2019, phos 1321, zinc 1674. I wonder how much the make up oil helped these number however.

Interesting.

Obviously a very different engine architecture, but my K1200S has never used a drop of oil. Not sure what the cylinder walls are lined with. I've got about 8k miles on it now.

Hi Jim,

The K bikes, being water cooled, have much tighter clearances than do the air/oil cooled boxer twins. Specs like piston OD compared to cylinder ID will tell you the story. This is because engine temp is much easier maintain in a water cooled engine. In an air cooled engine, you have to build in a bit more space for expansion.

This engine is still using oil so UOAs with make up oil are going to be offset. I would quit lugging the engine (keep it above 3000 RPM) and go on a long ride at high speeds with some throttle changes (mountains would be nice).

Your engine is still bedding in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back