BMW N54 Engine - best oil at the present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
DeepFriar,

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Group III is not classed as full synthetic in Europe.

This is only valid for Germany. Other countries in Europe (49 other countries) are calling group 3 oils fully synthetic as well.

Yeah true, most of them actually do not care.
But Germans do, so I care what they say.

DeepFriar,

Group III is not classed as full synthetic in Europe.

This is only valid for Germany. Other countries in Europe (49 other countries) are calling group 3 oils fully synthetic as well.

I didn't know that but I did make the assumption that Motul is sold in Germany indicating, to me, that they adhere to the conventions there. But I've never bought it there so someone else would have to verify that.

DeepFriar, This is only valid for Germany. Other countries in Europe (49 other countries) are calling group 3 oils fully synthetic as well.

This guy is right. The only european country in which it's absolutely forbiden to call group 3 oils "full synthetic" is Germany. Oils made in other countries (like France) can have group 3 base stocks and still be called synthetic with no problem, normally they use some not very concrete ways to call group 3 synthetics such as "synthetic technology oil", "synthetic type oil", "synthetic formulation oil" in order to present a group 3 as synthetic. That's why I respect german brands.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand. However I think I will stick with my original assumption that the 8100 series is full synthetic in the German sense and the 6100 are "technosynthese" meaning having some group III or other in them (it says so on the bottle). Xmax and the 300V's are solidly in the group V based "ester core" camp. I think they are top shelf, especially Xmax and 300V but really all of them, and would serve the OP's needs well. But there is a value question with regard to M1 0W-40 that only he can answer IMO.

Yes, I understand. However I think I will stick with my original assumption that the 8100 series is full synthetic in the German sense and the 6100 are "technosynthese" meaning having some group III or other in them (it says so on the bottle). Xmax and the 300V's are solidly in the group V based "ester core" camp. I think they are top shelf, especially Xmax and 300V but really all of them, and would serve the OP's needs well. But there is a value question with regard to M1 0W-40 that only he can answer IMO.

IMO for this prise X-cess just can't be a 100% PAO/Ester oil, it must contain some hydrotreated petroleum-based percentage, but nevertheless it do the job for a stock street-driven car just superbly.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

IMO for this prise X-cess just can't be a 100% PAO/Ester oil, it must contain some hydrotreated petroleum-based percentage, but nevertheless it do the job for a stock street-driven car just superbly.

If it has more then 50% of PAO/Ester it can be called Full Synthetic in Germany too.
So no, X-Cess is not 100% PAO/Ester but it 100% meets law requirement to be called full synthetic.

If you guys are talking about 8100 X-Cess 5w-40, it has a pour point of -36C. Seems a bit high. Most 5w-40 oils with hefty PAO content that I have seen have pour point below -40C.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you guys are talking about 8100 X-Cess 5w-40, it has a pour point of -36C. Seems a bit high. Most 5w-40 oils with hefty PAO content that I have seen have pour point below -40C.

True, I have never been impressed with their pour point and HTHS.
IMO; Not on par with Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Not on par with Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.

Well, it's not really fair to compare 5w-40 to 0w-40 oils when it comes to pour point. That's why I was trying to compare it to other 5w-40 oils.

Not on par with Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40.

Well, it's not really fair to compare 5w-40 to 0w-40 oils when it comes to pour point. That's why I was trying to compare it to other 5w-40 oils.

No, i did not mean pour point, but HTHS and other numbers. Just does not justify price. Even Pentosin 5W40 has better pour point.
For example Castrol TDS 5W40 has pour point of -45.

Last edited:

The same here. Also a VI of 170 isn't in the high zone for a high PAO/Ester oil.

MSDS shows:

25-50% DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC CAS# 64742-54-7
25-50% LUBRICATING OILS (PETROLEUM), C20-50, HYDROTREATED NEUTRAL OIL-BASED CAS# 72623-87-1

The same here. Also a VI of 170 isn't in the high zone for a high PAO/Ester oil.

Do note that VI isn't a good indicator of PAO content, at least. We do have a local very high PAO content 0w-40 oil here, with a pour point in the -60 C range, yet a VI of something ridiculously low, around 150 or 155.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Do note that VI isn't a good indicator of PAO content, at least. We do have a local very high PAO content 0w-40 oil here, with a pour point in the -60 C range, yet a VI of something ridiculously low, around 150 or 155.

Yeah, thinking of it you're right, there is a tendency in the last years for race oils to not have very high VI. Staying in the same house - Motul 300V Competition 15W-50 which is a 100% synthetic double ester oil has a VI of 154!
I'm mistaken because in the past some 100% synthetic race oils I have used had VIs of more than 190, but in recent years many oil brands lowered their VI.

Yeah, thinking of it you're right, there is a tendency in the last years for race oils to not have very high VI. Staying in the same house - Motul 300V Competition 15W-50 which is a 100% synthetic double ester oil has a VI of 154!
I'm mistaken because in the past some 100% synthetic race oils I have used had VIs of more than 190, but in recent years many oil brands lowered their VI.

Even the oil I use actually - Yacco Galaxie 15W-50 which is a 100% synthetic PAO/Esters oil having a pour point of -46 Celsius(!) which's not bad for a 15W oil has a VI of 164!

Originally Posted By: Garak

Well actually MSDS for Motul 300V Comp 15W-50 shows,

DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC 1
Not to mention their 300V Power 5W-40 "100% Synthetic-EsterCORE Technology" which states
LUBRICATING OILS (PETROLEUM), C20-50, HYDROTREATED NEUTRAL OIL-BASED 10 DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC 1
I think MOTUL defines Grp III as synthetic today and their 100% EsterCoreTM is a blend of Grp III and V.

edyvw,

Well, I am living in a (french part of) country which has very close ties with Germany (sharing common border, similar language, german cars are in swiss DNA, etc). I have to say that after the dieselgate (and gasoline engines emission problem of VW) the notion of "germany quality" has been revised here. The reputation of "made in Germany" is now met with laugh and lack of trust. They will have to work a lot to gain it back.

As for the Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Motoröl and the Vollsynthetik story. I checked several German web-sites and it is indeed marked as Vollsynthetik in Germany:

- German version of Motul web-site:

(https://www.motul.com/de/de/products/oils-lubricants/8100-x-cess-5w40?f%5Brange%5D=25&f%5Bviscosity%5D=34)

Vollsynthetisches Motorenöl für moderne Otto- und Dieselmotoren auch mit Direkteinspritzung. Spürbare Kraftstoffeinsparung durch perfekte Leichtlaufeigenschaften. Lange Gebrauchsdauer und Schutz des Motors auch bei langen Wechselintervallen.

- Delti (German seller) web-site selling this oil

(http://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop...icle_disabled=1)

Vollsynthetisches Motorenöl für moderne Otto- und Dieselmotoren auch mit Direkteinspritzung. Spürbare Kraftstoffeinsparung durch perfekte Leichtlaufeigenschaften. Lange Gebrauchsdauer und Schutz des Motors auch bei langen Wechselintervallen.

- Some folks in Germany discussing how good this oil is for BMW e46:

http://www.bmw-syndikat.de/bmwsyndikatforum/topic285226_suche_Vollsynt__Motoroel_5w40_mit_ll01_empfehlung!_BMW-Talk.html

So, the bottom line it is indeed Vollsynthetik as seen from the links.

Last edited:
edyvw,

Well, I am living in a (french part of) country which has very close ties with Germany (sharing common border, similar language, german cars are in swiss DNA, etc). I have to say that after the dieselgate (and gasoline engines emission problem of VW) the notion of "germany quality" has been revised here. The reputation of "made in Germany" is now met with laugh and lack of trust. They will have to work a lot to gain it back.

As for the Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Motoröl and the Vollsynthetik story. I checked several German web-sites and it is indeed marked as Vollsynthetik in Germany:

- German version of Motul web-site:

(https://www.motul.com/de/de/products/oils-lubricants/8100-x-cess-5w40?f%5Brange%5D=25&f%5Bviscosity%5D=34)

- Delti (German seller) web-site selling this oil

(http://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/oshop...icle_disabled=1)

- Some folks in Germany discussing how good this oil is for BMW e46:

http://www.bmw-syndikat.de/bmwsyndikatforum/topic285226_suche_Vollsynt__Motoroel_5w40_mit_ll01_empfehlung!_BMW-Talk.html

So, the bottom line it is indeed Vollsynthetik as seen from the links.

Tough words from a country whose air force works from 08.00am until Noon, and from 02.00pm until 07.00pm and then goes home.
You live in a country that will cooperate with anyone as long as they have cash in the pockets, so please, let's leave on a side principles.

edyvw,

Tough words from a country whose air force works from 08.00am until Noon, and from 02.00pm until 07.00pm and then goes home.
You live in a country that will cooperate with anyone as long as they have cash in the pockets, so please, let's leave on a side principles.

Both statements may be valid and true and bad, I agree. On the other hand we are here discussing the definition of 'high German quality' statement and in light of dieselgate scandal it is clear that no such thing exists. This is a clear fact that they have used the firmware to detect the emission testing procedures, which is clearly cheating. Cheating is bad, it kills trust, hence my comment on this that in Switzerland people started to question 'made in Germany' slogan.

Update: how my comment on 'made in Germany' relates to any of your statements I have no idea
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back