BMW N52 long crank

Someones gotta have an idea of what this can be.

I think I posted about this before but can't seem to find the post.

I had this same issue during the beginning of 2021 and a year ago(Jan 2020) after I got the Valve Cover Gasket and Oil Pan Gasket replaced(where it would take 2-3 seconds to start/turn over). Wouldn't happen constantly.

Now it happens every time I go to start the car 😡

Ignition coils and Spark Plugs were done 2k miles ago.

I had the ground wires taken a look at by my Indy a few months back when I had them replace the Valve Tronic Motor gasket (Under Warranty). Those are fine.

Battery was tested, that's good too.

No codes showing up either.

Winters on its way and I don't want to be stranded. Car has 75k miles if that matters

Link to video:

Before a cold start, I would try cycling the key on/off a few times prior to starting. If that helps, I would then check fuel pressure to verify a failing fuel pump. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed in a while, I would replace it before condenming the fuel pump.

Sounds like the same issue the Dakota has and had for years. I did basically the same thing ignition wise but it's fuel related. From researching there's a drain back valve in the fuel pump that keeps the fuel from draining back, at least on the Dakota. Haven't did any testing yet but there's no wet plugs. I did put a bottle of Berryman's in last week and seems to decreasing the crank time, not even 40 miles on the tank so the verdict is still out.

Listen to this ^^ guy who's a BMW technician.
:)

And this is what it looks like. I have a spare in my box in case it starts happening in my own E90.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 78
Before loading the parts cannon check the obvious first, fuel pressure and does it hold the pressure, coolant temp sensor, fuel pump relay (they don't need to have failed completely to cause issues long before total failure), other sensors will probably throw a code or CEL.
Without turning the engine over turn the key on for a few seconds then off a few times then immediately start it. If it starts right up you may well have a bad pressure regulator.

Back