BMW M54 (e46, etc) OEM oil filter comparison

Thanks. The only experience I've had is with BMW and the few times I've actually pulled a filter I couldn't help but notice how rigid the pleats remained after the full OCI. These filters were not deformed at all.

It's been a really long time since I've seen a Mann HU 925/4x that was actually made in Germany. Most of the ones I got were made in Mexico, not that I think they're any worse.

And the Mahle ones were made in Austria.

My 1999 E46 with the M52tu engine came from the factory with the Mann+Hummel filter. I used them for the better part of my 20 years of ownership but the last couple of years I've bought Hengst just because I like the color of their box better.

Both filters work flawlessly for my one year drain intervals. I put only about 8,000 miles per year on my car (wife's daily driver) so they don't get overworked. The Hengst is the least expensive of the three shown here and I pay about $5 for them.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
It's been a really long time since I've seen a Mann HU 925/4x that was actually made in Germany. Most of the ones I got were made in Mexico, not that I think they're any worse.

I've had them both on hand a few times, and as far as I could tell they were identical.

Originally Posted by OldEuroCarLover

I've had them both on hand a few times, and as far as I could tell they were identical.

Yup. That is what I was trying to convey.

I've used MANN filters on pretty much every Euro car I've serviced. BMW E90, F30, E46, E36, VW's, and an Audi or two. Every single one came out looking just like it did when I put them in.
thumbsup2.gif

I just removed and replaced a Mann W719/13 screw on oil filter for my old Benz a couple days ago. It had been on there for about 5,000 miles and was still in very good condition.

I have no doubt that it can go farther than that. Thinking about just changing the oil every 5,000 miles and the oil filter every 10,000 miles.

The oil filter is in an inconvenient place on the M103 engine. Top mounted at the back of the engine, nestled under the side of the air filter. I have to contort myself into a kind of yoga pose to reach out and down to get to it. Kind of fun the first time, but a pain the next time. Yeah, I think that Mann is good for 10,000 miles...

I just put a wix on my daughters e46(M54) tonight.
Seamed like a ok filter
Always used Mann or Mahle in the past

And the Mahle ones were made in Austria.

I saved the green and yellow Mann cardboard box for my W719/13. On the bottom of the box it says "Made in Germany." I think they also have production facilities in Brazil and the Czech Republic.

Back