BMW Longlife-04: Evolving Performance Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a LL-04.

9D6605D8-BBC6-428C-9B37-9818BD04FF7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately for us in United States, BMW moved straight to fuel economy (FE) oils due to/in anticipation of more stringent CAFE requirements.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Unfortunately for us in United States, BMW moved straight to fuel economy (FE) oils due to/in anticipation of more stringent CAFE requirements.

are you forced to use them insted off the LL04 or LL01?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

are you forced to use them insted off the LL04 or LL01?

Since 2012 or so BMW has used LL01FE before moving to 20 weights. BMW has not officially announced LL04 as a suitable substitute for petrol powered engines in the United States even though we moved to ULSG almost 2 yrs ago. I guess they figure there's no point.

LL01 is slowly disappearing along with the cars themselves (into the crusher).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NYSteve
My B48 engine can use anything between LL01 through L17FE, which ranges from 5w-40 to 0w-20 depending on spec.
Yeah... CAN use, but stand it? With "Autobahn", we have a many problems with FE nonsense and big end bearings. With 2.0 but also with smaller enignes with FE nonsense. If though titty for you, with 35.000 miles ("no [censored], Sherlock"), Yes, sad.

But you must not drive it. Least, LL-04 works ok. Good LL-04, works fine. Problem dissolved
whistle.gif

This is what you have to deal with re: BMW oil specs:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f55-cooper-hat/repair-manuals/00-maintenance-general-note/1PSryV8

My B48 engine can use anything between LL01 through L17FE, which ranges from 5w-40 to 0w-20 depending on spec.

I went with Castrol 5w-40 for my twin turbo 4 as that's what is recommended by them and I don't like the idea of 0w-20 in this particular application.

Twin-scroll turbo, not twin turbo. You only have one.

I will take a full SAPS LL-01 over a mid/low LL-04 SAPS oil any day, every day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Yeah... CAN use, but stand it? With "Autobahn", we have a many problems with FE nonsense and big end bearings. With 2.0 but also with smaller enignes with FE nonsense. If though titty for you, with 35.000 miles ("no [censored], Sherlock"), Yes, sad.

But you must not drive it. Least, LL-04 works ok. Good LL-04, works fine. Problem dissolved
whistle.gif

We drive a lot slower in the US (hr.) and most BMW's are used as urban commuters driven in heavy traffic.

Yes, I know it, of course. Also on "autobahn" not most drivers drive >160kmh (100 m/h). Unlike of loom on Youtube, its not a country fully of hellbents.

But those typically problems with those engines becomes now more frequent. For me, concerning FE-nonsense. Anyway, for me its not a problem with speed and revs, but rather of torque (or driving style...).

I have no idea for which drive situations FE or 508 (BMW, VAG) are ok. Or lowered HTHS values. Madness...

For sure, it saves no 0.13gal fuel in a year, opposite 5w-30 LL-04/504-507. And you get no more than +4hp of 350 with FE. And maybe it kill your engine parts? No thanks.
Crazy. Crazy hysteria regarding WLTP. Similar story like 75W or 70-75W MT oils, in gears, which are construed to works best with 75W-80/85. Ok, no words about Dexron/Mercon ULV...

For me, those oils are only safe in units with plasma coatings. The most of us (or not? :D) can't buy a cars with plasma coated gear or engine parts. Or is those technology meanwhile common in average cars? Not to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back