BMW LL17FE, BMW LL14FE, BMW factory oil

Instead of Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, why not Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 in this engine? I understand the LX has better LSPI characteristics, has Mercedes 229.51, 229.52, VW 54/507, ACEA C2, C3.
As it was pointed out a few times regrading manufacturer approvals in here and as well in other threads, it is not BMW LL spec oil, so not approved for the application as not tested/verified for the use in any bmw engines.
So bottom line, it can be used at your own risk and you are responsible for any harm or damage to your engine. Or it can be no harm, but nobody can guarantee it, as again it's not approved.

I would use Motul LL-01 FE (someone already posted VOA in here) or LM LL-17/LL-01 (for LM I would send to lab for VOA or wait for VOA if some posted it here). Both oils are 50% cheaper comparing to the original BMW LL FE oil

it is not BMW LL spec oil, so not approved for the application as not tested/verified for the use in any bmw engines.
So bottom line, it can be used at your own risk and you are responsible for any harm or damage to your engine. Or it can be no harm, but nobody can guarantee it,
With VW 504 Mercedes 529.52 designations (both for "long life"), and with Pennzoil's warranty of up to 500,000 miles in an engine using one of their "Euro" oils (which specifically names "timing chain" as being covered), I'll take my chances. The Pennzoil site even lists some LL oils as alternatives to one of their "Euro" oils. It seems to me they are aware of the LL Spec and although not claiming to have that designation, still offer that warranty on the engine if one of their "Euro" oils is used. At least Pennzoil's warranty has a chance of being honored, otherwise, I'm on my own anyway after 4 years and x number of miles even if I ran BMW LL17 FE+ as spec'd for this engine. I change it every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
With VW 504 Mercedes 529.52 designations (both for "long life"), and with Pennzoil's warranty of up to 500,000 miles in an engine using one of their "Euro" oils (which specifically names "timing chain" as being covered), I'll take my chances. The Pennzoil site even lists some LL oils as alternatives to one of their "Euro" oils. It seems to me they are aware of the LL Spec and although not claiming to have that designation, still offer that warranty on the engine if one of their "Euro" oils is used. At least Pennzoil's warranty has a chance of being honored, otherwise, I'm on my own anyway after 4 years and x number of miles even if I ran BMW LL17 FE+ as spec'd for this engine. I change it every 5000 miles.
There are probably a thousand reasons and excuses why they would reject such warranty and one why they would honor it. It sounds like a commercial, and I am all skeptical to fully trust in it. Maybe, maybe not, who knows.
If you go to the pennzoil website and select a US sold bmw with B46 engine, the site will tell you that no suitable oil is found. That would be one reason to reject such warranty claim.

The Motul Specific LL-01 FE Engine Oil or LM FE are only ~$10 more than PP Euro L/LX and has all approvals you need for the engine

PS $33 vs 25 at wally, it is a clear choice for me

Last edited:
Somewhere there is fine print to use oil that manufacturer states.

Although this 5w30 isn't in the approved list of oils for my 2019 JCW Mini Countryman either...according to the Motul tool.

Although this 5w30 isn't in the approved list of oils for my 2019 JCW Mini Countryman either...according to the Motul tool.

it is strange I do see your car in there, there are 2 oils recommended, one them which was mentioned above

also

it is strange I do see your car in there, there are 2 oils recommended, one them which was mentioned above

also
Wow, the "Special Tec 5w30 is good for up to 20,000 miles, according to the Motul text, and they price it about 18.00 per quart. Otherwise, they spec the 0w20 FE 17+. Mini gives the option of running a 0w30...which is one of the reasons I do.

I'd rather pay half price of the Special Tec and change it out much more often...as I assume most people on this forum would do if they planned to keep a car longer than the warranty period.

I sincerely appreciate your effort to provide good input!

Back