BMW "Lifetime" ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

Yes. the transmission is great. I just don't know why BMW tells the dealers to REFUSE to change the oil.

My dealership has never refused to drain/fill the ATF on my BMWs. I sometimes wonder if the dealers that flat-out refuse do so because they don't trust any of their techs to do the job without screwing up.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I sometimes wonder if the dealers that flat-out refuse do so because they don't trust any of their techs to do the job without screwing up.

You may be right about that.

Idiots; BMW calls for a drain and fill on most autoboxes at 100k miles.

Apparently this particular transmission series is invincible, and will run 2 million miles on the factory-fill ATF.
smile.gif

Ironically, ZF has a Youtube video on fluid/filter change on this series of AT's, and they say 50-60k miles!
21.gif

That change interval is for "severe service". Such has frequent high speed (think autobahn) driving, towing, "sporty" driving (think track days and autocross). In any case did you change out the fluid in the front differential?

Last edited:

Yes. the transmission is great. I just don't know why BMW tells the dealers to REFUSE to change the oil.

My dealership has never refused to drain/fill the ATF on my BMWs. I sometimes wonder if the dealers that flat-out refuse do so because they don't trust any of their techs to do the job without screwing up.

Not only that but did you guys know that BMW requires that the technician capture/re-use the factory ATF whenever any work is don't on the transmission such as a leaking pan or mechtronics(sp?) sleeve?

I took a report to a Toyota dealer once. The automatic transmission fluid was loaded with aluminum. I told the service manager that I had an oil analysis report that I wanted him to look at. He refused to touch physically touch the report. He then stated that I wasn't an engineer so I wasn't qualified to read the report. My concern was a failing pump in the transmission. I had zero cooperation or interest from the dealer. The service manager said that they would not consider an oil analysis report. The transmission failed about 20k miles later. Fortunately it was not my car. I was doing service work on it for a friend of mine. He sold the car and bought something else.

I just bought a CL600. The transmission fluid in it looks nasty at just 55k miles. I will be sampling it and changing it as well.

Dave

This is a late addition, and I think it was said, but ZF, the transmission manufacturer, recommends 60K miles, more often for severe service. It's on their website. My experience is when changed with a BMW or ZF factory filter (don't use anything else) these tranny's perform great, my 95 740i has had 3 changes with 275K miles (1 Redline ATF and 2X Valvoline MaxLife DEXRON V. Maxlife is a BMW approved DEXRON V and relatively inexpensive. Also in the family; A 2005 X3 w 155K miles has had two changes with Val MaxLife, it too shifts like a champ.

Dealer gave me the same BS when I went to buy the trans filter on the last change for the 740. He said I didn't need to do the change, I said, "Yes I do, this is the third change, and it's got 270K miles and shifts like a champ" He said, "Oh" and went in the back and retrieved the filter. How can someone say it doesn't need attention when they don't know mileage and history? Naive and misinformed.

The reason for the dealer attitude is a very long story, but has it's roots in marketing and environmental goals at BMW. BMW, Texaco and ZF, iirc, pushed for extended drain intervals and better mileage beginning in the early 90's with synthetic technology prior to to the DEXRON V specification. They went a bit too far and a lot of misinformation was propagated throughout the dealer network and independents (I'm being nice) and it still survives to this day. There were lots of transmission failures, many shortly after a fluid/filter change. Dealers and independents became "gun shy" as they couldn't reliably predict the effectiveness of a transmission fluid service, particularly after 100K miles. Importantly, the ZF procedure for properly filling the transmission was frequently done improperly. I myself had a mechanic with a good reputation shortfill a tranny in my friends 2001 540I by 2 1/2 quarts!!!! And on it goes ....

The charts for figuring out what fluid to use in the transition years to the newer specs were complex and confusing to read for the average Non-BMW mechanic, involved colored tags on the transmissions and BMW started using words like "Use of improper fluid will cause Transmission Failure". All these issues and some others created the confusion and spread of misinformation and the reluctance of dealers and indies to service BMW transmissions.

Another poster said that techs will "save and refill" trans fluids. That is a holdover from the old days when the fluid was really expensive. Factory fluid, now that it's all DEXRON V, is reasonably priced again, and should be renewed anytime you drain fluid.
Why risk contamination on such sophisticated German hardware?

More accurately, waiting till 100K miles or more to change your fluid will dramatically increase your likelihood of transmission failure, duh. Like anything else, once the nonce of the ZF fill procedures are understood, the service is fairly straight forward.

A previous poster is correct, BMW recently changed lifetime to 100K miles, which again, is 40K miles past ZF's recommendation. I use the same 60K rule of thumb for the French-built GM transmissions. (very different from the US GM automatics)

The great news is DEXRON V spec fluid supersedes all, so use that, change it at reasonable intervals and life is good. For DEXRON III boxes, I like RL ATF, but the 740i shifts excellent with the Valvoline MaxLife DEXRON V.

THANK YOU poster that recommended a resetting of adaptions, brilliant, I had forgotten that is part of the routine on a center diff fluid change on BMW all wheel drive vehicles; The computer controlled "clutch take up" position is reset to adapt to wear.
BMW Transfer Case Fluid (TCF) is high-tech stuff, should also be changed before factory recommendations (the repairs for TC's are EXPENSIVE!) but Volkswagen/Audi has the same spec fluid and there are less expensive alternatives to BMW like Ravenol's TCF.
With TCF, SHAKE THE BOTTLE REALLY WELL, additive bits settle to the bottom of this product.

Hope that sheds some light

Originally Posted by IllinoisSparky
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Our ZF 8 speed in our RAM is one of the easier transmissions to service IME here. The integrated pan and filter is a beautiful piece, makes the job simpler. And with a simple fill hole that requires no exotic tools or scanners the job was simple IMO.

In my case, I had the pan/filter ready to swap. Car on 4 jack stands. But when I saw that I was going to have to support the tranny and remove the tranny mount, etc., to remove the pan, I just said heck with it and did a fluid swap.
Next time I will have my Indy shop change the pan and fluid.
It will be easier for them on a lift to slip in a jack.

Maybe they rather wait for the ATF to cause a failure, so they can charge you a huge bill to replace the transmission.

Originally Posted by DrDave
I took a report to a Toyota dealer once. The automatic transmission fluid was loaded with aluminum. I told the service manager that I had an oil analysis report that I wanted him to look at. He refused to touch physically touch the report. He then stated that I wasn't an engineer so I wasn't qualified to read the report. My concern was a failing pump in the transmission. I had zero cooperation or interest from the dealer. The service manager said that they would not consider an oil analysis report. The transmission failed about 20k miles later. Fortunately it was not my car. I was doing service work on it for a friend of mine. He sold the car and bought something else.

I just bought a CL600. The transmission fluid in it looks nasty at just 55k miles. I will be sampling it and changing it as well.

Dave

This dealership is incompetent and is just plain customer service dumb. Recommend to everyone you know not to do business with it. Toyota corporate will have another opinion of your UOA.

Originally Posted by S62MPOWER
In the above post, DEXRON VI, not V is what i meant to say.

It's alright. I know of a few Ram owners who do about a 4 quart Maxlife ATF changes on their ZF-8's about every 50K and the transmissions are shifting great and going strong.

This is a late addition, and I think it was said, but ZF, the transmission manufacturer, recommends 60K miles, more often for severe service. It's on their website. My experience is when changed with a BMW or ZF factory filter (don't use anything else) these tranny's perform great, my 95 740i has had 3 changes with 275K miles (1 Redline ATF and 2X Valvoline MaxLife DEXRON V. Maxlife is a BMW approved DEXRON V and relatively inexpensive. Also in the family; A 2005 X3 w 155K miles has had two changes with Val MaxLife, it too shifts like a champ.

Dealer gave me the same BS when I went to buy the trans filter on the last change for the 740. He said I didn't need to do the change, I said, "Yes I do, this is the third change, and it's got 270K miles and shifts like a champ" He said, "Oh" and went in the back and retrieved the filter. How can someone say it doesn't need attention when they don't know mileage and history? Naive and misinformed.

The reason for the dealer attitude is a very long story, but has it's roots in marketing and environmental goals at BMW. BMW, Texaco and ZF, iirc, pushed for extended drain intervals and better mileage beginning in the early 90's with synthetic technology prior to to the DEXRON V specification. They went a bit too far and a lot of misinformation was propagated throughout the dealer network and independents (I'm being nice) and it still survives to this day. There were lots of transmission failures, many shortly after a fluid/filter change. Dealers and independents became "gun shy" as they couldn't reliably predict the effectiveness of a transmission fluid service, particularly after 100K miles. Importantly, the ZF procedure for properly filling the transmission was frequently done improperly. I myself had a mechanic with a good reputation shortfill a tranny in my friends 2001 540I by 2 1/2 quarts!!!! And on it goes ....

The charts for figuring out what fluid to use in the transition years to the newer specs were complex and confusing to read for the average Non-BMW mechanic, involved colored tags on the transmissions and BMW started using words like "Use of improper fluid will cause Transmission Failure". All these issues and some others created the confusion and spread of misinformation and the reluctance of dealers and indies to service BMW transmissions.

Another poster said that techs will "save and refill" trans fluids. That is a holdover from the old days when the fluid was really expensive. Factory fluid, now that it's all DEXRON V, is reasonably priced again, and should be renewed anytime you drain fluid.
Why risk contamination on such sophisticated German hardware?

More accurately, waiting till 100K miles or more to change your fluid will dramatically increase your likelihood of transmission failure, duh. Like anything else, once the nonce of the ZF fill procedures are understood, the service is fairly straight forward.

A previous poster is correct, BMW recently changed lifetime to 100K miles, which again, is 40K miles past ZF's recommendation. I use the same 60K rule of thumb for the French-built GM transmissions. (very different from the US GM automatics)

The great news is DEXRON V spec fluid supersedes all, so use that, change it at reasonable intervals and life is good. For DEXRON III boxes, I like RL ATF, but the 740i shifts excellent with the Valvoline MaxLife DEXRON V.

THANK YOU poster that recommended a resetting of adaptions, brilliant, I had forgotten that is part of the routine on a center diff fluid change on BMW all wheel drive vehicles; The computer controlled "clutch take up" position is reset to adapt to wear.
BMW Transfer Case Fluid (TCF) is high-tech stuff, should also be changed before factory recommendations (the repairs for TC's are EXPENSIVE!) but Volkswagen/Audi has the same spec fluid and there are less expensive alternatives to BMW like Ravenol's TCF.
With TCF, SHAKE THE BOTTLE REALLY WELL, additive bits settle to the bottom of this product.

Hope that sheds some light

A lot of DIY'ers still have difficulty changing out the fluid on these units due to the location of the fill hole and the temps requirements. Underfilling is an issue because they either can't pump in what they measured which came out or the trans temp exceeds the max when refilling.

Oh and BMW techs still save and re-use fluid when working on the transmission. https://bmwtechnician.com/2018/07/12/zf-8-speed-transmission/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IllinoisSparky
Asked a dealer 3 times to change the ATF in my 09 X5 30i.
[Linked Image]

Is not the residual viscosity of 5.12 cSt a bit too low ?
Could someone clarify if this FF is low viscosity version of around 6.1 - 6.4 ish , or is it the older 7.0 -7.4 cSt versions ?

......Factory fluid, now that it's all DEXRON V, is reasonably priced again, and should be renewed anytime you drain fluid. ..........

While OP's 2009 ZF transmission may have a FF of low viscosity Dexron VI version, how about the possibility of similar transmissions released in early 2000 - 2004 having FF whose specs is equivalent to that of a Dexron II/III fluids ?

Outside of your date range a bit, but I've been using dexron VI in my old E34 for over 100,000 miles now and it has been working just fine. No weird shifts or anything.

I think that if a manufacture states in writing that the ATF is " A LIFE-TIME FLUID" that they open themselves to legal issues. I suspect that somewhere in the owners manual there is a disclaimer or special circumstance (loop hole) where the fluid should be changed. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
I think that if a manufacture states in writing that the ATF is " A LIFE-TIME FLUID" that they open themselves to legal issues. I suspect that somewhere in the owners manual there is a disclaimer or special circumstance (loop hole) where the fluid should be changed. Ed

IIRC the BMW owners manual notated change of 100k or 120k miles. ZF has always had an additional "severe service" schedule of 45-60k miles/8 yrs which to be honest a majority of BMW drivers in the U.S. would not fall under.

Originally Posted by zeng

......Factory fluid, now that it's all DEXRON V, is reasonably priced again, and should be renewed anytime you drain fluid. ..........

While OP's 2009 ZF transmission may have a FF of low viscosity Dexron VI version, how about the possibility of similar transmissions released in early 2000 - 2004 having FF whose specs is equivalent to that of a Dexron II/III fluids ?

Well if the fluid has any amount of mileage on it the Dexron II/III will be the same viscosity as VI.

VI replaces III in most cases. VI is thinner but It´s more shear resistant because of the better base oil (at least semi syn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back