BMW extended warranty questions

Hello viewers!

Vehicle is a 2015 BMW 535 xDrive Sedan with 40k on the clock. It was purchased CPO.

The owner doesn't drive much (large American city) but is questioning if he should get an extended warranty of some variety and keep going, as the CPO warranty is about to expire.

I'm looking for the potential best extended warranty, on a BMW, and where to get one. That is the question.

Thanks in advance!

just curious, has the owner experienced problems with the BMW? If not then why not roll the dice and go without a warranty?

No problems yet, but he's worried about electrical issues and I warned him about potential cooling system issues down the line.
I'll take ALL advice at this point. Pro or con.

The BMW dealers sell two types of extended warranties: Third party and BMW. I had great experience with the BMW warranty. It's basically an extension of the CPO warranty so the dealer performs the work., If it hasn't already that vehicle will require a valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket at around the 50-60k mile mark. I would price that out at an Indy shop and then compare that to the cost of the warranty coverage which will cover these items in particular (iirc I think it's the "gold package"). Another possible but expensive repair is the valvetronic motor and the eccentric shaft (~70k miles+). IMO vehicles which are tuned or move heavy vehicles (i.e. X5) are more prone to this but the repair is a couple thousand as the eccentric shaft alone is about $1k and the valvetronic motor is around $300. This job requires a new valve cover gasket as well.

Cooling system has been fine since around 2012. It's not at all problematic like the previous gen vehicles. Electric water pumps and thermostats are not failing with any sort of regularity.

I must confess that I obtained a sweet deal on my extended warranty because I was able to buy it from a BMW dealership out of my region. A few years ago I heard that BMW put the kibosh on that but that may have changed. Warranty prices are flexible.

I prefer the BMW warranty because they'll essentially never go bankrupt and you'll less likely get stuck between them and the dealership regarding coverage of an item.

Good luck

BMW does not offer extended warranties after the CPO period ends. He is stuck with getting a 3rd party one.

BMW does not offer extended warranties after the CPO period ends. He is stuck with getting a 3rd party one.
Interesting. I was offered the option on my 2015 (2014 delivery) in 2019 and I had no warranty at the time as my factory warranty expired a year earlier.
Are you saying the OP couldn't, while still under the CPO, buy an extended warranty?

My man @The Critic thanks much. You're in the industry; what would you recommend as a 3rd party that's legit?
No experience, sorry.

Interesting. I was offered the option on my 2015 (2014 delivery) in 2019 and I had no warranty at the time as my factory warranty expired a year earlier.
Are you saying the OP couldn't, while still under the CPO, buy an extended warranty?
Did you buy the 2015 vehicle in 2019 from a BMW dealer? If so, the dealer certified the vehicle and enrolled it into the CPO program.

It sounds like the OP's situation involves a car that was already enrolled into CPO, but the CPO warranty itself is now expiring.

No experience, sorry.

Did you buy the 2015 vehicle in 2019 from a BMW dealer? If so, the dealer certified the vehicle and enrolled it into the CPO program.

It sounds like the OP's situation involves a car that was already enrolled into CPO, but the CPO warranty itself is now expiring.
No. I'm the original owner. I bought it in 2014. The factory warranty expired in late 2818. I was offered the option to buy the BMW extended warranty in 2019. However it was the base BMW warranty.

BMW warranty is best. We have carte blanche to repair items as needed. Aftermarket warranties always need approvals and pictures and they question every single bolt and gasket. Often forcing cheaper repairs that are often not BMW approved.

Always go OEM warranty. Aftermarket ones are a waste. Deal with this in a daily basis...and aftermarket warr. always want cheap or used parts, very rarely OEM

Last edited:
No. I'm the original owner. I bought it in 2014. The factory warranty expired in late 2818. I was offered the option to buy the BMW extended warranty in 2019. However it was the base BMW warranty.
That's unusual. Did they change the program terms again?

If that is the case, maybe @Chris Meutsch should have his friend contact one of the forum sponsors on here:

That's unusual. Did they change the program terms again?

If that is the case, maybe @Chris Meutsch should have his friend contact one of the forum sponsors on here:
Beats me. I passed this time around as I couldn't upgrade from the basic warranty which would cover gaskets that I knew needed to be replaced. I was told it was offered due to the service history on the car. :cautious:

Back