BMW E92 pulling when braking

My brakes also squeak pretty noticeably when I have the windows open. I think it’s just because they’re semi metallic, but I didn’t know if that points to any issue. Thanks jeepman 🫡🫡

If there is plenty of pad material, it could just be the type of pads/rotors used. I've only used Textar pads and Zimmerman rotors from FCP Euro which are OEM and have had great luck with them. As for the suspension arms I would just jack up the car and start inspecting the bushings. If they have cracks in them, they are done.

One of my friends has an E91 wagon, we had a feeling her thrust arm bushings were worn from a shimmy on the highway under braking. I had her roll down my driveway and abruptly step on the brakes while I was watching the front wheel. You could see the wheel move in the wheel well when she applied the brakes, so the bushings were toast, but that is probably an extreme case.

At 126,000, your thrust arms are done! Don't even look at it. Unless bushings or arms were changed.
My advice is to replace all suspension parts at this point at the front: lower arm (thrust), upper arm, tie rod ends, ball joints, and possibly inner tie rod ends.
If your rear shocks did not fail yet, they will soon. Unless it is obvious that the caliper is stuck, if no work has been done on suspension, you will be throwing parts at the problem until you hit it. Just change everything. Since you have RWD I would go TRW M3 suspension arms.

At 126,000, your thrust arms are done! Don't even look at it. Unless bushings or arms were changed.
My advice is to replace all suspension parts at this point at the front: lower arm (thrust), upper arm, tie rod ends, ball joints, and possibly inner tie rod ends.
If your rear shocks did not fail yet, they will soon. Unless it is obvious that the caliper is stuck, if no work has been done on suspension, you will be throwing parts at the problem until you hit it. Just change everything. Since you have RWD I would go TRW M3 suspension arms.
I don’t have any maintenance records from the previous owners. Rear shocks are still fine for now. I was planning on going m3 front kit from FCP when the control arms need to be replaced. They’re back ordered right now. I don’t want to replace them if not needed.

I need to find a better way to raise the front of the car before I inspect everything.

I don’t have any maintenance records from the previous owners. Rear shocks are still fine for now. I was planning on going m3 front kit from FCP when the control arms need to be replaced. They’re back ordered right now. I don’t want to replace them if not needed.

I need to find a better way to raise the front of the car before I inspect everything.
I have a low profile jack from Harbor Freight that fits under the center jacking point, then just jack the front end up and put jack stands under the jacking point on each side. I have a RWD E90, so should be the same height as yours, the X-Drive cars were 1/2" taller.

When did you get a car? With how many miles?

I thought you used Protools. Do you use ISTA as well?
I have ista, but bimmerlink is much easier to use.
F853C446-84E9-47E4-BE5B-610F7D499C35.jpeg
E31CAC83-39A2-468D-8D23-1A3306A44A1A.jpeg

I have a low profile jack from Harbor Freight that fits under the center jacking point, then just jack the front end up and put jack stands under the jacking point on each side. I have a RWD E90, so should be the same height as yours, the X-Drive cars were 1/2" taller.
Not E90, E46, yes.
It will fit under central point.

I think it’s just the front splash shield on mine that is preventing the jack from fitting. On my dad’s e90 xdrive, it fits just fine

I bought it a month ago without about 125,600
We'll inspect it. Get a wrecking bar. If the arms have the BMW logo, and the bushings look twisted, I would change it. Get good lighting and check if thrust bushings are leaking fluid. If they do, do not even think about it. Just order it. If M3 are back ordered everywhere (ECS had some) get Meyle HD thrust arms. They are stiffer as it is not hydraulic bushing but full rubber.

We'll inspect it. Get a wrecking bar. If the arms have the BMW logo, and the bushings look twisted, I would change it. Get good lighting and check if thrust bushings are leaking fluid. If they do, do not even think about it. Just order it. If M3 are back ordered everywhere (ECS had some) get Meyle HD thrust arms. They are stiffer as it is not hydraulic bushing but full rubber.
Ok, sounds good. I’ll look at it this weekend or next weekend, as I will tackle air filter and maf sensor cleaning and also replacing the trunk release switch at the same time.

When i go to inspect, I’ll try to grab some good pictures. I’ll see if i can record the issue in a parking lot today.

If I need to do front suspension refresh, I’ll definitely go M3. I’ll have to shop around and see where I can get it the cheapest.

Thanks for the help 🫡

Ok, sounds good. I’ll look at it this weekend or next weekend, as I will tackle air filter and maf sensor cleaning and also replacing the trunk release switch at the same time.

When i go to inspect, I’ll try to grab some good pictures. I’ll see if i can record the issue in a parking lot today.

If I need to do front suspension refresh, I’ll definitely go M3. I’ll have to shop around and see where I can get it the cheapest.

Thanks for the help 🫡
TRW will be half the price.
Also, if changing, do not forget that you must load control arms and then torque them.

TRW will be half the price.
Also, if changing, do not forget that you must load control arms and then torque them.
Yes, trw is what is was going to use. Fcp had it the cheapest. If i had to do suspension refresh, any suggestions where to take it for alignment? I have a trusted bmw shop near me.

Yes, trw is what is was going to use. Fcp had it the cheapest. If i had to do suspension refresh, any suggestions where to take it for alignment? I have a trusted bmw shop near me.
If they do alignment, let them do it.
I take it to the family shop, and they do an excellent job here.
I also have Firestone lifetime alignment, and actually, they do a good job too :) I hate doing alignment on my own since I track car, so I take it during track season to Firestone. When I put snow tires, I take it to the family shop.

If they do alignment, let them do it.
I take it to the family shop, and they do an excellent job here.
I also have Firestone lifetime alignment, and actually, they do a good job too :) I hate doing alignment on my own since I track car, so I take it during track season to Firestone. When I put snow tires, I take it to the family shop.
Okay, sounds good. I will need to do some digging

I didn't get a video of it, but it'll do this when I break, but to the right, and not as severe as the video

It's like my car is steering itself to the right

Could it also be steering related?
What could I check for on the steering rack?

Also the owner told me he had new tires recently.

Back