BMW E92 pulling when braking

2009 BMW 328i RWD.

When I brake, it seems like like the steering wheel turns about 15-20 degrees to the right usually.

Bentley manual says to check brakes and suspension.

Any ideas?

I'll examine further this weekend if it's not raining a lot.

Front Control arms?

2009 BMW 328i RWD.

When I brake, it seems like like the steering wheel turns about 15-20 degrees to the right usually.

Bentley manual says to check brakes and suspension.

Any ideas?

I'll examine further this weekend if it's not raining a lot.

Front Control arms?
If it's only when braking, I would be looking at the brake calipers. One of them could be sticking. How many miles on it? The thrust arms could be worn, but usually that will cause a shaking when braking (almost like warped rotors) not a pull to one side.

If it's only when braking, I would be looking at the brake calipers. One of them could be sticking. How many miles on it? The thrust arms could be worn, but usually that will cause a shaking when braking (almost like warped rotors) not a pull to one side.
Feel the wheels carefully for heat. My old Isuzu had a stuck caliper and the wheel got hot, like really hot enough to burn my hand.

I feel like it also happens when going over big bumps sometimes.

126,000 miles

I really should have checked the brakes/suspension when I flushed the brakes a few weeks ago.

How do I check the brake calipers?

The pads and rotors still seem fine. The car says about 1000 miles on rear and 1600 on front. The rear pads have about the thickness of the pad backing plate left, and the front have a lot of meat on them. Per Bimmerlink, the rears have been done once, and the front done twice.

Thanks jeepman

After using the brakes a few times, if the left wheel is not as hot as the right it is not working.

The car will pull toward the side that has stronger brakes.

It’s really weird. It only happens sometimes, so I’m not sure what it is. I got it to happen once this morning when I was stopping for a light. I took my hand of the wheel while braking and it turned a bit to the right.

After using the brakes a few times, if the left wheel is not as hot as the right it is not working.

The car will pull toward the side that has stronger brakes.
I touch the wheel or rotor? Both rotors are hottt

I see lots of post saying caliper which I generally agree with, but keep in mind a collapsed brake hose could also be the issue.

I see lots of post saying caliper which I generally agree with, but keep in mind a collapsed brake hose could also be the issue.
But I didn’t have any problems bleeding the brakes. I’ll check for that too

Get/borrow an infrared temperature gun and check the rotors' temperatures. How often do you flush the brake fluid. It needs to be done every 2 yeras.

Get/borrow an infrared temperature gun and check the rotors' temperatures. How often do you flush the brake fluid. It needs to be done every 2 yeras.
I just flushed it the other day. The last time before that was about 4 years. Per bimmerlink, this is the 6th time it has been done.

I’ll try to post a video today. I’ll do it somewhere away from people

I'm still betting on caliper. I'd check the slide pins on the caliper too.
Ok. So, I can jack up the left side and take of the wheel and possibly the caliper to see if it is compressing? I can’t fit my 1.5 ton low profile jack under the front jacking point.

And then take out the front slide pins on the left wheel caliper and see if they’re stuck and make sure they’re clean?

Ok. So, I can jack up the left side and take of the wheel and possibly the caliper to see if it is compressing? I can’t fit my 1.5 ton low profile jack under the front jacking point.

And then take out the front slide pins on the left wheel caliper and see if they’re stuck and make sure they’re clean?
Yep I would disassemble and make sure everything is moving freely. Usually with a caliper you can try to push the piston back in with a tool or C-clamp, and if it's really difficult then that is an indicator there is an issue. It's not 100%, but it should move back in without much effort. BMW specifies no grease on the caliper slide pins, so just make sure they are clean.

Yep I would disassemble and make sure everything is moving freely. Usually with a caliper you can try to push the piston back in with a tool or C-clamp, and if it's really difficult then that is an indicator there is an issue. It's not 100%, but it should move back in without much effort. BMW specifies no grease on the caliper slide pins, so just make sure they are clean.
Ok, thanks. I want to check controls arms and make sure the suspension is okay, too. Is there any “easy” way to check it.

I should make sure it’s just my oil pan that is leaking. I have a couple spots on my driveway, but I can see under my car. I think the coupe is lower than the sedan.

Back