BMW E39 4l30e - which ATF??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been posted ad nauseum, but all the threads I could find were 3+ years old. With some of the newer oils out there (and the reformulation of MaxLife again, as well as more data behind Dex IV) - whats the general consensus? I have some Penzoil Dex III, and some of the newest MaxLife. Which would BITOG use, if there was a choice?? Anything else I SHOULD be considering? Not dropping the pan, this is just a drain and fill.

Huh, didn't know BMW ever used a GM transmission... I would use any dexron/mercon universal fluid (I'm bias towards the Maxlife blend due to its price/ease to find). Or you can pay more for a premium fluid if you want more than the already good protection from Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Huh, didn't know BMW ever used a GM transmission... I would use any dexron/mercon universal fluid (I'm bias towards the Maxlife blend due to its price/ease to find). Or you can pay more for a premium fluid if you want more than the already good protection from Maxlife.

In reality, it's an 'upgraded' ancient Opel transmission used in a variety of odd vehcles - Cadillac Catera, Isuzu Trooper, BMW 3/5 series, etc. It's french-made garbage, IMO, and not worthy of being called a GM transmission. I talk a lot of trash about GM cars, but there's one thing they do exceedingly well - drivetrains.

My 08 E90 is a GM 6speed trans, calls for Dex VI. I'm using MaxLife in it.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Maxlife. Does BMW have a spec for it?

Yes, the spec is Dex III.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Don't waste your obsolete ATF. Use up that Pennzoil that you have.

I still have PLENTY of uses for the Dex III - see my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back